The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Trick With Mythological Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any effect (or story that could be made into an effect) that might involve Mythology (preferably Greek or Roman) Thanks
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I found this nearly perfect for your request. As a matter of fact it is better, due to the overwhelming content suited to your particulars.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I don't know.. If you wanted to make up a story, than.....

There is 13 different values in playing cards.. This could be 13 months in a year

(Early nursery rhymes stated there were thirteen months in a year because of the natural moon cycle that was used to count the lunar year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_(number)

Red represents day, Black represents night, etc, etc, blah , blah..

or you can look up some history on playing cards and find something

http://www.usplayingcard.com/gamerules/briefhistory.html

WOW, I'm tired... night
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I'm afraid I've forgotten where I read about this, but it is freely available out there on the net someplace (wish I could recall where). In addition, I use it, and can attest that it works (for me, at least).

Pandora's Box!

I have a wooden box with a camel and a palm tree engraved on the lid. When someone asks about the box on the table, I indicate a long story in the making and make sure they have time to listen. Then I tell the tale of Pandora's Box, pulling a deck from the box, but leaving one inside, the card of hope. The atorytellee selects a card from the deck, magic ensues, and their selected card, the card of hope, turns out to have been in the box all along.

When I work, I'm usually at a table at the farmer's market. People wander up and I do magic with them. The box sits on the table conspicuously, but I ignore it the entire time unless someone remarks about the box.

It's fun. Smile
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
One I like to do is a hindu thread routine talking about the 3 fates.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
You might find something in this or that here:

http://www.usgamesinc.com/product.php?pr......mp;page=
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Guy Hollingworth's Cassandra comes to mind...
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I suppose the four suits could reresent anything you like, the four winds, the four elements, or whatever. The court cards could represent gods or heroes, etc.
The danger is in getting it all too complicated to follow.
Maybe an ambitious card routine related to the labors of Hercules, or something like that.
You might try posting this in the Once Upon a Time forum.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't know this one but there is a trick that I think is called "Oracle, Moracle, Miracle, Clocked!" -Paul Gordon-

I only mention it as it mentions "Oracle"
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Really, playing cards are not the best venue for mythological-age themed magic. Their history only dates back from the 1300s or thereabouts. Like DStachowlak suggests, you could probably take an existing effect and alter the patter to revolve around some popular myth (The Decision of Paris...Maybe?), and if you went that route, I'd suggest an older-looking deck such as a tarot deck.

But actually, there are other areas of magic far more suited to mythological patter. Ring or rope magic for example. Just think of the kind of things the ancients posessed, make up some test for the hero with the appropriate prize, and have him perform a miracle to win the prize.

Bill
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
If you were willing to put in the time and effort, Guy Hollingworth's Cinderella might be an interesting model to follow. There are tons of myths and legends that involve magical transformations along these lines.

You'd have to make the cards and adapt the story yourself, though. On the other hand, if you did do this, you'd certainly have a unique effect.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Tamariz had a packet effect where the cards had pictures of centaurs and mermaids on. It was called (surprisingly) "Centaurs and Mermaids" and was marketed in Spain. Whether or not it appears on any DVD's or in any of his books I'm not sure. You could try doing a web search for it.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Trick With Mythological Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL