The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » German Magicians of Old (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gpshealy
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of gpshealy
Hello, let me introduce myself briefly. My name Greg, and not a very good magician, though I absolutely love magic. I like reading magic books and watching videos and do some cup and balls moves and coin magic for fun, but am not anywhere close to being a professional.

The reason I am posting though is that I am finishing a dissertation in German history, and am in the initial stages for starting a second project on magic history and magic organizations in Germany from roughly 1920 to 1960. (the periodization isn't firm because I don't know enough yet to say what are the definitive moments, dates, etc.)

I am just stopping by to ask if anyone here knows of any books that are about this topic (in either German, English, Dutch, or Hebrew) that anyone here has read or could recommend to me that deal with (even very broadly)with the history of German magic. I have found some, but didn't know if there were any that you guys knew of any that I've overlooked. I used the search feature and couldn't find any threads, so I am sorry if I missed something.

Also, what would you guys consider your favorite books on Magic History more generally (in terms of subject, writing, structure, methodology, etc)? I know magicians will likely be the people most interested in what I eventually write, so I am just curious about the types of histories that the members of this forum like.

I'm really excited, and hopefully can bring some names like Kalanag, Handy-Bandy, and Hellstrom to a broader English Speaking audience. More generally though there are some really fascinating stories and events that I ran across that I think will make for a compelling and exciting book!

Greg
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2515 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Have you got infos in meantime ?

For many years Dr. Kurt Volkmann wrote a series about magic history in the German magic magazine DIE MAGIE (Magischer Zirkel von Deutschland).

Then there the books by Wilsmann: Die zersägte Jungfrau (Berlin, 1938); or Graf Klinckowstroem: Die Zauberkunst (München, 1954).
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jochen Zmeck wrote several books that have historical information in them as well. He lived in the former East until the wall came down. You might want to drop an e-mail to Wittus Witt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I almost forgot. Look up anything you can find by Günther Damann. He wrote a book of magic trivia, as well as a pre WW II book called Juden in der Magie. These are very important from an historical perspective.

Also check with Peter Schuster at the Magische Zirkel Berlin.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4868 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
MAGISCHER ZIRKEL VON DEUTSCHLAND e.V.
http://www.mzvd.de/

Zauberzentrale.
http://www.zauberzentrale.de/

German links:
http://www.zauberzentrale.de/forum/links/links_kunden.php
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » German Magicians of Old (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL