The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » bizarre? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KJ
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
97 Posts

Profile of KJ
hello,

I am curios what exactly is bizarre magic? And what is "magick"?

-KJ
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2003-01-25 22:44, KJ wrote:
hello,

I am curios what exactly is bizarre magic? And what is "magick"?

-KJ

They needed a name for this stuff since it tends to be NOT the top hat and tails Lance Burton type stuff. The antique spelling of 'magic' and the term 'bizarre' refer to the stereotypes of the Wiccan and ritual based works. Funny thing is the folks here are way beyond those stereotypes. Just like most magicians are way beyond top hats and canes.

Please have a look at the diversity of the contributions.

The effects and presentations range from 'alternate history' and time travel to pseudo stereotypcial wiccan performance works.

I hang out here looking at some great stuff by Caleb and company. And as you may know I am a fairly straight laced coinman.

Great stuff here! Enjoy!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
KJ, Jontown gives the perfect answer. You're very welcome to spend a little time in the forum, and look at some of the ideas on offer.

I'd suggest it's almost a case of getting a 'feel' for what bizarrists do, the taste of the fruit, rather than its description.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

P.S. Jontown, as you'll know, recently, there's been a popular thread on bizarre rope magic. It might be interesting if we started one on coins. I'm sure we've all got our favourite talisman and alchemy routines.
-- QCiC --
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
In my opinion bizzare magick includes the gothic magic style as well. I am brand new to the world of story telling magic (probably becaus of the fact that im brand new to the world of maturity... although...) mostly ive been doing shock and geek magic but thanks to people like caleb I have been able to take advantage of my acting and story telling skills. So my advice is read read read read and don't forget to ask questions because ive aquired so much knolledge by doing just that.

best of luck

jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
For more, take a look at the answers given when someone else recently asked the same question in this same forum.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......14&9

Dave
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In my current lecture, Bizarre Magic, I define "bizarre magick" as touching the spectators at a higher emotional level.
It can encompass pretty much all forms of magic and does not have to be ghoulish or ghastly; in fact, it can be funny.
As examples of that, you might check out the e-zine Visions (www.online-visions.com), in my Bizarre Bazaar column, for Vampire Bat, and Lord of the Rings.
Another definition might be "storytelling magic", where each performer creates his or her own story around what used to be considered the simplest of tricks.
In fact, ideal bizarre magick should be able to be done with no magic at all; the story itself should be compelling enough to hold the audience's attention.
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
I'm beginning to think that Bizarre magic(k) is not quite the right phrase. Initially the phrase put me off because I didn't want to perform anything that was "bizarre".

Over time I've come to realise that most of the things that are called bizarre magic aren't that bizarre at all but are attempts to create real, "serious" magic which isn't the synthetic puffery that can sometimes parade as "magic".

In short - it's not really all about grown men dressing up in black and pretending to spout some ancient nonsense...

Peter, I'm not sure I understand how "...bizarre magick should be able to be done with no magic at all". How would that be magic(k) still rather than storytelling?

A
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I think that the term "bizarre magic," referring to storytelling magic and magic as "theater," came to be used because most of the early ideas (ca. 1970) had themes of witchcraft, black magic, blood and guts.

Don't be misled by the term "bizarre magic" which we use to separate ourselves from the finger-flingers. I am a bizarrist, even when I am doing kid shows that are funny.

Some of Docc Hilford's material is funny and bizarre. That is, it is theater and storytelling.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Andrew Davidson writes: "I'm beginning to think that Bizarre magic(k) is not quite the right phrase."

You're probably right; it conjures up (pun intended) pictures of guys in long robes and pointy hats hovering over bubbling cauldrons at midnight.

Hardly what "bizarre" is all about.

Andrew adds: "Peter, I'm not sure I understand how "...bizarre magick should be able to be done with no magic at all". How would that be magic(k) still rather than storytelling?"

I didn't mean to suggest that a performer should work with no magic at all, calling it bizarre magick.

What I meant was that the story alone should be emotionally involving enough that is COULD stand on its own, as in story-telling.

Another definition you might consider is:
Story-telling, with magic to illustrate the main point.
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
Peter

Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure quite how you meant it, but now I get it and I agree.

I have some "issues" with storytelling magic as it can sometimes be presented. I think sometimes a good story can get in the way of the very real and sense shattering experience of watching a mystery. I think there are some presentations which actually, whilst being great stories in themselves, can detract from what is happening.

Let me try and be more specific - you might frame an effect with a fantastic story about an odd happening which was experienced by the performer or someone else. It might be a great story and may have an amazing impact on those listening but the effect itself might be even stronger if the frame was a spectator's current experience of the odd happening. The distancing which is sometimes necessary in storytelling can, in some situations, reduce the impact on a spectator I think.

I'm beginning to wonder if a more accurate expression of what we do is "Experience Magic" where the focus is on creating a whole experience for the spectators rather than just showing them a trick.

A
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » bizarre? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL