The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The fountain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Anyone seen this? I have... this is an amazing story, it will, I am sure bless your mind with inspiration... and I'm also excited to rent pans labyrinth later...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
II found the concept interesting, but the execution lacking. Although I understood the plot and the concepts, when I tried to discuss the film with others who had seen it, I was told that they found it confusing and did not understand where the film was going. The entire concept was lost on them.

Pan's Labyrinth, on the other hand was visually, emotionally, and intellectually stunning and stimulating. You have to watch it a second time (at least) with the commentary. There are some brilliant concepts that can be adapted to our art, but I won't discuss them now as to not spoil the film experience.

Tony
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I agree with both of Tony's comments.
Don't miss Pan's Labyrinth nor Tideland ...
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I just ordered Pan's Labyrinth, and it should arrive sometime next week. Tideland? I haven't seen that one, either!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Tideland, whoa! What a trip to watch!!! Very, very bizarre. Pan's Lab. is wonderful too.

Disturbed,
Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Pan's Lab is exquisite film-making.

Both it and Tideland had startlingly personal confessions from their directors as prologues, yes? I hope this doesn't become a habit.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
ALL GREAT MOVIES... STILL LOVE THE IDEA BEHIND THE FOUNTAIN... ANYONE KNOW ANY MATERIAL FEATURING THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH? WHAT A GREAT IDEA... ALL YOU WILL KNOW IS DEATH!!! that's WHY I LIKE IT... NOBODY WANTS TO GROW OLD AND HAVE TO WATCH THEIR BODY START TO DECAY AND DETERIORATE ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IF YOU LOOK AFTER IT YOUR MIND DOESN'T... WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO STAY FOREVER YOUNG? BUT IT COMES WITH A CURSE... TIME BECOMES IRRELAVANT SO THERE IS ONLY NOW AND IN THAT NOW YOU MUST WATCH ALL THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE, DIE OVER AND OVER AGAIN, AND THEN REMAIN ALONE AND WANKALOT....
-Shantideva

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Declan

Please stop using all caps. In the PC world, it is the equivalent of yelling. It comes off as rude and abrasive.

You're right, IF that were the idea behind the Fountain, it might have been a better movie, or at least one more people could relate to. But that was not the theme of the movie, its theme was the concept of death and rebirth, but it was confused because of the vehicles they chose to use and the constant cutting and intermixing of the timelines.

Tony
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Oh that's what the meaning of the movie was...
'You're right, IF that were the idea behind the Fountain, it might have been a better movie,'
thankyou that was my idea and a offset of some inspirational thought I've been having on the fountain of eternal youth theme.... I think its a great concept...
the concept of death and rebirth huh...
and again my humblest apolygies for shouting
I wonder if there is a vault of information I am not privvy to that makes me such an outcast... I feel hindu yet I'm stragely buddhist...
-Shantideva

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"I wonder if there is a vault of information I am not privvy to that makes me such an outcast... I feel hindu yet I'm stragely buddhist..."

When one looks overly inward, it is possible to miss all that is outward and in a rush to share all that is within, overflow like tea mixed with Jif Peanut Butter...at least that's what Confusious told me when I was a lad...he said just slow down a tad an let folks catch up. ;-)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
You can't fool me mr higley the deviputra mara tried that already.. all that is outward comes from inward... a prison created by my mind... ego... samsara...buddha told me this... when I was a lad... many many lifetimes ago... and I still can't find that bloody vault...
-Shantideva

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

They even state it at the beginning of the movie. Death and Rebirth is one theme, Acceptance of Death and Loss is the other overriding theme of the movie.

The previews and commercials were cut in such a way to make you think it was about a couple living throughout the ages due to the fountain of youth. I saw those and that was why I picked up the movie. The impression I had was wrong (not saying they lied, hint, hint). The scenes you see of the couple in 16th Century Spain and the Americas, were from the book the leading lady of the movie was writing, a book called The Fountain.

The use of the Tree of Life is there not just for the concept of eternal life, but as a symbol of resurrection, the fountain of youth is mentioned in the commentary but plays no part in the picture.

Tony
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
So what your sayin is its called the fountain and there ain't no bloody fountain... what they meant to call it was tree...
-Shantideva

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

The Fountain was the name of the wife's book. I thought you watched the movie. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The fountain (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL