The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Naked Mentalism by Jon Thompson (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
The reviews from many people seems very good.
I would like to buy the book and see if I can add some new effect to my performance,unfortunately I am a non-english speaker.
So I am really curious that does the principles in this book
suitable for non-english country's people?
Will the effects in the book work for a non-english mentalist like me?
Thanks for your kind reply
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 11:33, sychou wrote:
The reviews from many people seems very good.
I would like to buy the book and see if I can add some new effect to my performance,unfortunately I am a non-english speaker.
So I am really curious that does the principles in this book
suitable for non-english country's people?
Will the effects in the book work for a non-english mentalist like me?
Thanks for your kind reply

Hi Sychou,

The psychological force section should work fine. Regardless of the language used, the underlying concepts are common, and because the book shows how to find and exploit other forces, you can develop your own that are significant in other cultures too. The Naked Book Test, however, uses a sophisticated model of written English, so it's probably only going to serve as a starting point for your own version. There was a guy who was interested in developing a French version a few months ago, but I haven't talked to him for a while.
spaden32
View Profile
New user
Ohio/USA
10 Posts

Profile of spaden32
Great book Jon. I used NBT at the office AND IT KILLED! Worked 8 times out of 11 so far and I just received it a couple of days ago. Did it over the phone once and I was dead on. This is some evil stuff.

Going to look over my MOAB to see if I can work it in with it. And if so I will perform NBT w/MOAB and then do MOAB.

My actual hit rate so far is 9 times out of 12 with the one phone test I did on a friend. He didn't "even" have a clue! His exact words? WTF How in the H*** did you do that! The book he chose was a S. King novel. Don't know which S.K. novel but that makes no difference. Just love the specs reactions on this one.

Mike
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
That's excellent news Spaden!
Magical Lady
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Magical Lady
Hi Jon, et al

I have just finished reading my copy and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you Jon!

I personally don't feel that the books inherent value was simply in the giving of new routines, effects, call them what you will. That is not to say however that there were not new ideas therein.

I found the effects detailed exciting - but not just because of what those effects were on paper, moreover because Jon's writing and detailing, gave an indication of what the effect MIGHT BE, given thought, given work, and given effort ... where an idea might lead once given one's own mark, and injected with one's own personality.

Whilst the book (in my view) covered the meat of it, it's higher value for me was in the teaching of the ways in which the food might get to the table! How it might be cooked, the results one could obtain by various methods of cooking, and the ways in which the food was gathered, packed, shipped and therefore would most likely arrive.

If you are expecting the book to hold your hand through each step, from the beginning of the thought in creating each routine, through the development and to the presentation of it, then perhaps this book would fall short of doing so for some.

If on the other hand you are looking for something which feeds thoughts and nurtures ideas, and which provokes thought and imagination, sparks maybes and what ifs? then I think you will be more than pleased with it.

An instruction booklet written simply to show how to present specific routines in mentalism? No, I don't think it is. A springboard from which to launch what you learn from it and continue to create? I think so.

Best,
*Magical Lady*
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-07-18 12:52, Magical Lady wrote:
I found the effects detailed exciting - but not just because of what those effects were on paper, moreover because Jon's writing and detailing, gave an indication of what the effect MIGHT BE, given thought, given work, and given effort ... where an idea might lead once given one's own mark, and injected with one's own personality.

Crikey! That's absolutely where I was coming from in writing this. Spooky or what?

I'm a HUGE fan of making an effect your own, and I think omitting that extra work is possibly why books like PS1 and 2 sometimes gets flack from people saying that the forces are obvious to an intelligent audience. In my experience, making the force the focus is going to have that effect, but if you place a level of abstraction between the audience and the force, you do a lot better.

Imagine you're doing something that needs you to force a "random" number, for instance. You might use your favourite force that results in a word with the right number of letters, which you subsequently use as the number. To the audience it's a mere detail rather than the focus of the effect, so you're far more likely to get in under their radar so to speak, and produce the right result. The example in the book is that of forcing a page number from an incidental choice of fruit and veg. Or how about weaving a story that includes many of the cues for a particular target object? I think many Café members have seen a certain English mentalist apply psychological forces in this way many times (tricycle, anyone? Smile )
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
I can also say this book is great.. just purely for the background and thinking behind it... I can see huge potential in the uses of the method and information it contains... I've tried a few things based round the idea and had great success...

thanks Jon.. and it was great to see you at 777
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 09:53, naquada wrote:
I can also say this book is great.. just purely for the background and thinking behind it... I can see huge potential in the uses of the method and information it contains... I've tried a few things based round the idea and had great success...

thanks Jon.. and it was great to see you at 777

It was good meeting you too. I'm really looking forward to the next one in October. Someone else who was there emailed me today to say he'd been running with the idea of relating a dream and getting people to fill in the blanks as it were as they imagined what his dream entailed. He got a really strong response from his audience when they realised that they'd picked up on his thoughts. I'm so glad people are using this stuff to get into people's heads and give them a good time. It makes it all worthwhile.
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 10:13, Jon_Thompson wrote:
It was good meeting you too. I'm really looking forward to the next one in October. Someone else who was there emailed me today to say he'd been running with the idea of relating a dream and getting people to fill in the blanks as it were as they imagined what his dream entailed. He got a really strong response from his audience when they realised that they'd picked up on his thoughts. I'm so glad people are using this stuff to get into people's heads and give them a good time. It makes it all worthwhile.


love to make the next one but I can't I'm busy at our halloween party in a disused mineshaft in the forest of dean.. (and yes that's me.. fang and all) it was a tough call, but I'm sure someone checks my diary before organising these things Smile I'm on a recruitment drive tonight for the meeting in october at our local meet, and I'll also be touting your book.. Smile

I'll try and make the third one (providing theres no clash again Smile )
MagicPenguin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of MagicPenguin
Magic Lady gives the most impressive review for the work.

My question would be how honest (perhaps on a purely semantic level) you could be with the audience in your routining and languaging about the explanation of how you accomplished the effect (without revealing how hard the work was that actually went into it)

Hope that question makes sense.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
I'd like to ask naquada and spaden_32 (and anyone else who reports on their success with the NBT) if they are having success only using the four-letter words, or if they are hitting with longer words.

It would also be helpful (for me), for anyone else who posts on the levels of success they are having with the NBT to give statistics - as spaden_32 kindly did.

Thanks
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 16:08, MagicPenguin wrote:
Magic Lady gives the most impressive review for the work.

My question would be how honest (perhaps on a purely semantic level) you could be with the audience in your routining and languaging about the explanation of how you accomplished the effect (without revealing how hard the work was that actually went into it)

Hope that question makes sense.

If I've read you right, the answer is that this is Naked mentalism; you can give whatever explanation to your audience you like because there's no apparent method to the results you achieve.

In the book, I use the example of explaining that I'm not a psychic but that I'm going to attempt to replicate aspects of what a psychic might do using my mind alone. This covers a spectrum of belief, from those who think psychics use their inbuilt intuition through to those who believe there's some external agency in play, and all points in between. I let them find their own meaning after that because spectator explanations are always so much more inventive (and sometimes very amusing too!). And let's face it, if you have a spec who's determined to believe you have some form of supernatural ability, nothing you say or do will change that.
spaden32
View Profile
New user
Ohio/USA
10 Posts

Profile of spaden32
Hi Olly.

I have only done this with the 4 letter words so far.
Not sure when or if I will try much longer words than 5 for a
while as I just blend them in with other longer word tests.

If I ever do try the longer words in TNBT I will post my per-
centages with them.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I'm thinking that "Naked mentalism" and a version of "Between the lines" would be
a lot of hits.

Michael Murray and Jon Tompson get together guys!!
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
Something that occurs to me is making it available as an affordable, standalone download in its own right. Would people be interested in that?

[/quote]

I would be very interested!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Well, the standalone full scripted Naked Book Test is now well into development. It's nearly ready for the beta testers, in fact. It's very robust, producing great hits from the absolute minimum of information. The big thing has been to create a model that doesn't require you learn a script the size of Hamlet.

Xiqual, I missed your post somehow. I think it'd be an interesting idea to get in touch with Michael Murray. I don't have Between The Lines, but from the reviews and friends who have it, I like the way he thinks.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Quote:
On 2007-08-27 06:09, Jon_Thompson wrote:
'The big thing has been to create a model that doesn't require you learn a script the size of Hamlet.


Jon, are you saying that this download thingy will be different to what's in the book? Has it been streamlined in some way? And have you added to the script somehow?

I still haven't committed the NBT to memory - coz it is a lot to learn!

Olly
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
Jon, are you saying that this download thingy will be different to what's in the book? Has it been streamlined in some way? And have you added to the script somehow?

Yes, it's a new application for the NBT data model.

The idea is to lower the bar somewhat on the amount of thinking you need to do. The actual technique it uses is something I'm going cover in depth in volume 2 of Naked Mentalism. The script is for people who want to wash and go, so to speak.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Great - I hate having to think.
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Well, I finally finished the script. I'm off to have that nervous collapse I've been promising myself...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Naked Mentalism by Jon Thompson (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL