The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Naked Mentalism by Jon Thompson (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
It should maybe be said that a progressive anagram is offered at one point, but it is your choice whether to use it or not. I think that one method offered is much better, and, if you put time into it, will give you a larger hit ratio.

A person willing to perform this easily could well within a week's time. (I am very proud of that sentence)

It should be said that the coin method is not of any use if you live in the United States. It works in the United Kingdom, but it may or may not work in any other countries. I can't say.

Don't let this deter anyone from purchasing this. Everything else in this book was completely compelling and will be of the utmost use to you.

/paul.f
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Thanx for the extra info Paul!

But all in all the main tools used here are "principles", right? I am really looking for routines that use no props what's so ever. This book fits that right?
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
The Naked Book Test is an excellent routine. You don't need a book even, just have them think of a word.

The principles taught in the beginning can easily be applied to making a routine on your own. Example routines using the information are given. It would be best if you made your own. Not only would it fit who you are, but they would also create a larger impact. With the example routines along everything Jon offers you, this will be very simple for you to do, and in a very short amount of time.

At least, I've found that it's always easier to memorize a script if I've written it for myself from the ground up.

/paul.f
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Thanx to everyone for writing and reviewing Naked Mentalism. I just ordered my copy and look forward to getting it.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Unfortunately I have a few "Fuzzy" ideas about the book, it's cultural base, and the timeliness of the research.
I have a suggestion to clarify the effectiveness of the Naked Book Test.
The test is easily done over the phone or internet, although I have a few doubts about it's effectiveness.
The last paragraph on page 13 has some very "Big" claims.
I suggest that Jon Thompson perform the Naked Book Test for 10 Café members so we can see what percentage of success we can expect.
This could dispell my fears and help promote the work itself.
I wouldn't ask him to do something that I wouldn't Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2007-06-16 01:19, Slim King wrote:
Unfortunately I have a few "Fuzzy" ideas about the book, it's cultural base, and the timeliness of the research.
I have a suggestion to clarify the effectiveness of the Naked Book Test.
The test is easily done over the phone or internet, although I have a few doubts about it's effectiveness.
The last paragraph on page 13 has some very "Big" claims.
I suggest that Jon Thompson perform the Naked Book Test for 10 Caf?members so we can see what percentage of success we can expect.
This could dispell my fears and help promote the work itself.
I wouldn't ask him to do something that I wouldn't Smile

You sold the book Dave, you should not have any fears about this. Are you still using the material?
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Slim,
Are you kidding me? If you have questions about the effectiveness of the material, there is a simple way to find out . . . PERFORM IT! It's fine to be skeptical, but to doubt the material without the willingness to test it and then to post your doubts AFTER you have sold the book is less than fair, IMO.

With the Naked Book Test, I am spot on FAR more often than I am not.

I've tested the material, I work using it. It's everything it should be.

Best,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have no intention of performing anything in the book. I would however, repurchase the book if someone could show me how effective it is. As I've said before, I could be wrong. Bottom line, I don't have much faith in research that is over 30 years old or is based on a very different locale.
TEST DRIVING the effect should be done BEFORE the product is sold. NOT BY ME.
I purchased this primarily for the over the phone book test. I used THE BOOK ITSELF as the test book. It was a LONGSHOT at best hitting the correct word. Nothing like the vision given on page 13.
I would like to see this in the real world.
I will HIDE AND WATCH on this one. Please prove me wrong and I'll be the first to buy the book twice. Smile
Good Luck
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Dave,
So you know, all the material in the book was tested by professionals before it was offered for release.

As for not trusting research over 30 years old . . . slang aside, how much has the english language changed in that time? Its characteristics remain the same.

I'm not arguing with you. Your experience is your experience. At the same time, I'm not here to convince you, and one less person using the material is quite fine by me.

Best,
J.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I doubt that anyone would want this to work more than I would. Smile I LOVE over the phone effects!
As an example, and not to tip anything, when someone is speaking of ENTERTAINMENT the words Playstation Xbox and literally thousands of INTERNET spawned words have cropped up. XM radio and SIRIUS radio. Lots of things have happened in the last 34 years.
I certainly don't mean to argue either, and it is never popular on these threads to be negative, so I will just stick with my request to have someone DEMO this for a few Café members.
I would LIKE to be wrong about this.
Is your experience that this works more than 60% of the time?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Yes. Absolutely, my experience is that the NBT works over 60% of the time!!!

However, I'm not the person to prove it to you. This is not my material to "prove" so to speak, and I don't like working for free when I have nothing to gain. I've performed it successfully for 2 out of 2 Café members. I would be happy to give you their names in private, and you may contact them if you wish.

Anything statistical/psychological in nature is not going to be 100%. At the same time, when it hits, it's about as clean as one can get. I've put my own twists on the handling and I use it a lot. For an off the cuff demonstration that looks and feels like the real thing, I believe this effect is a GREAT one and hard to beat.

Best,
Jerome.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That does sound amazing. Did you feel the memory portion to be difficult?This would not be necessary for over the phone. Thus my attraction. I'd love to get some Café members "Feel" for the effect and their input.
Thanks for your help.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Slim,
No problem. I found the memorization to be about as easy as the memorization for MOAB.

Best,
J.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hey, anyone want to sell me their copy of NAKED MENTALISM???? If anyone is in the Slim camp, I'll take it off your hands (I hate having to pay customs on over the border books and Lulu causes that Smile)...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mancstar1
View Profile
New user
Manchester
11 Posts

Profile of mancstar1
Can someone give a review of this. Ive just orderd it and wouldnt mind knowing about the other effects.
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
I just got a e-mail from Lulu saying my copy has just been shipped. I'll be sure to share my thought about it when I get it. I know that some of these reviews have been kind of vague. Leaving about what you can actualy do w/ this knowledge.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I think this is a great book. the research put into it is amazing.
I'm not sure what Slim is talking about as far as "timeliness" <sp>
You are asking people to scan a page in any book and pick a four letter word.

Slim says words like " Playstation Xbox and literally thousands of INTERNET spawned words have cropped up. XM radio and SIRIUS radio"

None of those words fit the patter that you give for the target word.
It really doesn't matter if the information is 30 years old. It's a statistical fact which words will be in the book.

Now, the bad news. This book only works for the English language.
The naked coin trick is only good in England.
The book contains many,many typos and missing sentences.

I find this inexcusable. The book cost over $50, I think it could be edited a little better.

Other than that, the naked book test is great. It will take a lot of work [unless you only memorise the first word in each ****]

James
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Are you saying that they can ONLY select a four letter word?
I still haven't heard from anyone who's taken part in the effect Smile
I'd like to.
I am not confident with linguistical stats that were accumulated before Disney World opened Smile
That's just me.
As I've stated before....I will be the first to purchase the book twice if someone can prove the reality of an amazing book test as described on page 13.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Dave,
You had the book, you should know what the contents were.

You can choose more than a four letter word, but four letter will be easier.
Please, if you can divine any four letter word that a spec picks from a random book that is good.

They are not linguistic facts, they are English grammatical facts.
It seems whenever someone puts put some book or DVD you are jealous and compare it to your stuff. The funny thing is, all your number stuff is old. Just look in Harry Lorayne's book on number magic, heck just look in Harry's "The magic book" printed in 1977.

All the experiments you did here on the Café consist of those old matrhematical effects. Even though you state on your DVD that "No one could figure them out."
That's just not true.

Math based effects are great, but Jon's work is a little deeper.

I do find it interesting that you don't know the procedure for the Naked booktest.
I thought you had the book?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17484 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've read the book twice. I also used the booktest on itself.... I suggest you do the same.
YOU are the one who said that they pick a FOUR letter word. By questioning you I was pointing out that the book says you can pick larger or smaller words ( Although I don't think that "Seeing" a three letter word is that amazing)....Some of the words in the book are also catagorized such as Entertainment . Entertainment expressions have changed in 35 years....These are the weak area's. At least one of them.
As for your criticism of my demonstrations, I've NEVER taken credit for thinking up these Ancient math formulas....Harry Lorayne used them in his works but HE didn't invent them either. My influences pre-date
your example by at least 21 years....Martin Gardners Mathematics,, Magic and Mystery. If you're going to slag me (And I'm not sure why you are doing it on this thread?)...then get your facts straight. I use age old mathematical principles in new ways or in new routines. I've performed them successfully for dozens of Café members BEFORE they are released. As far as I know this has been performed for no one that I know of.
The book was not for me at this time. I discounted the book by 20% or 25% and sold it to someone who might use it. Sorry, but I won't.
You can purchase T.A. Waters book Mind Myth and Magic for about the same price. I did not feel Naked Mentalism to be of the same value. I have a limited budget and $59.00 is a bit of cash to lay out for me.
Some very big claims were made for this book. I didn't find them substanciated (sp).
I would have said very little about it if you hadn't started Slagging me over this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Naked Mentalism by Jon Thompson (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL