The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One Handed Ambitious Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
The following is a video made by my friend Coconut who also happens to be a member here. After watching the video, all I can say is "Wow"! What really surprises me is that he can do all these flawlessly in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbHWECgN7M

Best,
Charles
COCONUT
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of COCONUT
This is one of my favorite routine in real life. I really appreciate that Charles likes this video, and I hope everyone can also enjoy it.

Coconut
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Coconut,

Very nice. There are a couple of moments that need to be smoothed out because it's clear you're doing "something", but the overall idea is solid, and the use of Raise Rise is well positioned.

I would drop the one handed pop out. It's a great revelation but it's not an ambitious card "effect" and it just feels out of place. Don't confuse method with effect. Unless, of course, the effect you're going for is look what I can do with one hand.

Instead I'd suggest ending with a "no hands" rise for the final revelation. Place the card face up in the center of the pack, place it on the table, and have it appear on top via Marlo's Rise Rise cop (or the method in my ms. TRIBUTE).
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Thanks for the clip.

Nice job Coconut . The ending was great.

~John
COCONUT
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of COCONUT
Thanks for the comments.
Actually, I always do card to mouth or card to pocket in the final phase.
However, it's a video, so I have to change it a little.
The "no hands" rise for the final revelation is really a good idea!
Thanks a lot!
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Really nice job COCONUT.

The only think I don't understand is why you call it 'one-handed'? You can't tell your spectators, look, I'm going to use only one hand! Even if you know that the other one is not doing any sleight. For the spectators you are using both hands.

It's not enough to call the effect 'one-handed' if the other hand does something. Even if it's not the trick. When thinking about 'one-handed' effects, think, could Rene-Lavand do it? In this case, obviously not.

Anyway, really, really nice.

Marc
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great stuff Coconut. absolutely loved it. that raise rise was sick Smile

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
The one handed pass was just.... no comment

Charles
Deluzion
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Deluzion
Great! yes, the one handed pass is very great!
Deluzion
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
That was a great routine! I liked the music too.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Was it a standard one handed pass coconut? fantastic video by the way and cool music. whats the song?
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Very nice Coconut. There is a lot of potential in the routine - however, it is very packed and fast paced and might overload a layperson.

The handling is good, some needs a last touch - e.g. the tilt move.

Keep up the good work . .

Andy
Cards never lie
COCONUT
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of COCONUT
Thanks for all the comments above. I have to say that I still have many things to learn. These sleights took me much time to practice. I really enjoy practicing those cool sleight, especially one handed techniques. I will not only use good slieghts but create a better routine next time.

To Memory-Jah

I don't know what's a standard one handed pass. I came up with this technique when my friend asked me if I can do a pass using only one hand. Then this technique was born. I am not sure if it is original, but maybe it is the same method as Tom stone's but only a change in perspective. By the way, the music is called "the diva dance." I often see this music used in stage magic shows, but I think it's also good for close up magic.
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
The music is from the Movie 5th Element... where can I find more info on that one-handed-pass thing? It looked great!

Doc-Z
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Docz didn't you read coconuts post? there is no reference since he learned it from a friend.

tom stone has a one handed pass called blink shift. you might want to check this out.

best,

Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4459 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
A few things, some has already been said, but thought I would just have my say.

First off, definitely not a one hand ambitious card, I do a one hand ambitious card, which really does just use one hand, it isn't so 'movey' as most, but it is a four phase, one handed version which I perform only for Magicians. Now for my 'critique' on your video.

First off, the get ready at the beginning...i don't actually know what to say, other than change this...
The raise rise looked great, a little jerky when getting into position, but as soley one hand was used for this, then it is fine.

The only other downside was the end, however you have answered that before. If you showed it on the bottom, then false cut, and then did the pop out move, it would look better, but don't just reveal it from the bottom
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I definitely agree with the idea of this not being "one-handed" because if it were, Rene Lavand wouldn't be able to do it! As for the other stuff such as the get ready, raise rise, or the justification for the last move, I would say that Coconut has those covered up with his patter/performance style in the real world. Nevertheless, the criticisms so far are all very constructive.

Best,
Charles
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Yes I did read it.. I'm sorry for not beeing to clear. I meant that Standard One-Handed-Pass that you mentioned. I couldn't find that blink shift by Tom Stone, I found something by a Tom Wolf, that was named blink shift, is the same thing?

Doc-Z
COCONUT
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of COCONUT
To Memory-Jah

I didn't learn from my friend. It's that my friend asked me if I can, so I came up with the idea.

To Christopher Williams

Thanks for your advice, I will make my routine better! Actually, I don't really know what kind of routine it is. Maybe it's just an ambitious card routine with many strange sleights. Anyway, Thank you!
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1436 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2007-05-22 05:01, docz wrote:
Yes I did read it.. I'm sorry for not beeing to clear. I meant that Standard One-Handed-Pass that you mentioned. I couldn't find that blink shift by Tom Stone, I found something by a Tom Wolf, that was named blink shift, is the same thing?

Doc-Z

yes sorry. I was speaking about tom wolf. try this. and I think erdnase has a one handed pass. I learned mine from richard turner who has no reference for it either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One Handed Ambitious Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL