The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Please help me with my show:) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
I was thinking about my routine that I plan to perform for my first street show. I really need fellow Magician imput so I plan to put everything I have come up with down... Please criteque EVERY THING.. If you thing something might not work please tell me, for you know more than me:)

The first aspect of my show is the time and place. I live in the 5th largest town in Kentucky called Paducah... It is about 1/4 the size of Memphis (only other place I am familiar with). Every Saturday night, Paducah throws a huge party downtown called Saturday Night After Dinner. There are tons of street musicians, but their are no magicians. It starts after about 6, and I have found a perfect place right in the center of the area under a very large street lamp. It is right next to the "Gizebo", where a feature musician or band plays. I think this would be this best place.

I have read many things about what to wear. I am only 14, and I don't feel comfortable at all about wearing a jacket or vest. I have heard of 2 or 3 people saying that they wear a brightly colored Hawian shirt and a pair of Cargo short Khakis. Now, I can wear this, seeing that I do all the time anyway. I have a pair of Khakis that have 4 very large pockets all over. I also have a really bright yellow with blue flowered Hawian shirt with a large pocket on the front. Any one think this may not work? I also could carry a back pack.

Now, I really think these are the tricks I could preform in order,

-My Silks Routine: Larger Than Life Silks, ( large red silk vanishes, reappears as yellow, vanishes and reappears as a very very large red silk).
-Standard 3D Sponge Bunny Routine
-3 Card Monte (Skinner's Version)
-Anything Deck (My Version)

I am a very animated person so waving my silks should get attention for an opener. I am good with sponge balls (I plan to get a set of bunnies soon), which could get lots of interaction. 3 Card Monte would be another fun effect. My Anything Deck always blows people away.

I have one question... Do you always have a hat to use as a hat??? (Um Sounds weird).. What can I use instead of a hat??? Just a jar, that says tips???

Ok, I love this line. I read it from a post here at the Café. I would say if right after I do 3 card Monte, "So you are going to go home tonight, and tell all your friends that you saw a really good magician downtown, right??? and he did some awesome tricks with nothing but some silks, bunnies, and some cards, right??? and you really enjoyed him, right??? and everyone gave him 5 dollars right???" Now I know that wasn't word for word. Who did come up with it? Gazzo??

Ok. So Sorry for the long post and that just about covers everything I could ever think of. If there are any other aspects that I should think of, feel free to tell me. I really want to be told everything I am doing wrong so I can work on it. (You can't hurt my feelings so bash me in any way).

BTW, I know the first post I am going to get is going to be about getting Cellinis DVD so just to let everyone know, I plan to get it for my birthday. Smile
Jack Of Hearts!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Daniel,
Actually, everything sounds pretty good; you've obviously thought this through carefully.
The only advice I would give is to make sure that you are highly visible, either with what you do or what you wear.
And don't call silks "silks"; at least, not in front of a lay audience. Call them scarves or hankies or anything else but "silks".
My other concern is the sound level; being right next to a band may overwhelm you. But that the sort of thing you'll only find out by doing it.
And you don't have to use a hat as a hat (yes, it sounds strange but I know what you mean!).
I use a plastic top hat with a cutout rabbit in it holding a sign that says "Balloons and magic free, donations appreciated". But you can use anything you want; again, this is an area where you have to do it to find out what works.
However, it sounds as if you've got a good area to work.
So, good luck!
Smile
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
I actually thought about the music drowning me out as I proof read my entire post. But I thought that maybe it wouldn't be such a bad plan.. Oh well.. There are tons of street lights Smile I can find one:)
Jack Of Hearts!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Daniel,
The entire effects you listed so far will take about 4 to 5 minutes(a guess)You need more "stuff". I would guess you need at least 15 minutes. Rope tricks work well on the streets,think about this.
Hope you do well....best of luck to you.
Don
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Daniel,

My only comments would be having two card-type effects, the monte and the anything deck.

The easiest to eliminate would be the monte. It's a cool effect but it's a street scam, and even if you're playing it for a trick, I'm thinking the cops would pop you so your show doesn't "invite" card hustlers who would play the monte for money.

I agree with DD, toss in a rope routine, maybe the Professor's Nightmare, and see what happens.

Have fun playing in the streets.

Joe in KC
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Daniel,

First off the venue you are choosing sounds like it is a blast! You should do very, very, well.

I think your trick selection might need some help though. All of the tricks you mention are fantastic but some might be problematic on the street.

Sponge balls are awesome but they will blow away easily. Be aware of the weather.

Mike Skinner’s three-card Monte is probably the greatest version of this trick for entertaining lay people. Unfortunately, on the street this trick even in a demonstrative presentation can get you into trouble with local law enforcement. People love gambling demonstrations though and a better choice might be “the sidewalk shuffle” This trick uses jumbo cards. So while the gambling demo impact is still strong on the audience, the giant cards suggest to the police that this is a trick and not a scam. I have used this on the street and it kills. Another thing is this trick will play to many more people than Skinner’s version. More people = more money.

You do not need a hat. You can use a can or any other receptacle.

I would not set up next to the gazebo if the band is going to be playing while you are working. Your audience just won’t be able to hear you. Find a place away from the musicians that has good pedestrian traffic.

Also, I’d think bigger in your tricks. Card tricks are great but try and select tricks that play off the table and to a large percentage of the audience. Card to pocket, card to mouth, and the insurance policy are all good card tricks that can play for a larger crowd.

I agree about sticking in a rope routine. It packs flat and plays big.

If you want people to tip you should make your show no shorter than 12 or 15 minutes. Anything under that and people will just not have seen enough to want to give you more than pocket change. Also remember; do not start your show proper until you have as many people stopped, as you want to stay for the whole show. There is nothing worse than starting a show for two people and working all the way through and then during the last three minutes of your show you draw a huge crowd. The only people who are going to tip you are the two you started with. The rest have only seen three minutes, unfortunately it was your best three minutes. If you start another show, these people might stay for most of it but they will leave when you get to the point they walked in at the show before.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Quote:
On 2003-01-26 12:02, DonDriver wrote:
Daniel,
The entire effects you listed so far will take about 4 to 5 minutes(a guess)You need more "stuff". I would guess you need at least 15 minutes.

Well I disagree with Don on this one issue. A good performer can make three tricks last 15 minutes and keep the audience hooked the whole time. Simply adding more stuff is not always the answer. We are performers, people, not some guy who just got his Box'o'tricks and wants to show them all off.

I do agree with Don and everyone else about a good rope trick. They play well, they play big, and they pack small. I would lose skinners monte. Any monte game that does not use jumbo cards is going to be way too Under-visible(is that a word?) for the crowd. While you may not always be performing for huge crowds your set should always be set up so that it will.

Just my two cents,
Mat
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I really think you can "MILK" an effect too long,no matter how good an entertainer you are.I've seen it many times.I like to keep a show moving.....what do other here think about this ?
Just the way I feel about that....but thanks for your input Mat.
Have a nice Day,
Don
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Gazzo does the cups and balls for an hour and it's brilliant.

The difference is it has to be an hour that feels like five minutes.

I have seen tricks that take three minutes that have felt like they went on for an hour.

I think it depends on the performer.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Daniel,
Paducah! I've got a cousin who sings there on weekends. Her name is Krista Farmer. Go say hi. She cute and nice. Tell her Troy her juggling cousin said hi.

Sounds like you're prepared. That's great! Street performing has one big drawback for less experienced performers: People can walk away. It's not like a sit down, captive audience. There's other things to see and do. While Paducah does not have a competitive atmosphere, everything else going on is competition.

With that said, think BIG and VISUAL. Over time, you'll get a sense for what's working and what isn't. Don't be afraid to try new lines, or play with your timing a little. The more you go are perform, the better you will become.

Hope to catch you in Paducah sometime.

Troy Roark
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2003-01-28 14:50, Danny Hustle wrote:

The difference is it has to be an hour that feels like five minutes.

I have seen tricks that take three minutes that have felt like they went on for an hour.

That's 1000% fact Danny. I noticed that alot
of specs lose track of time. Some will lose 10 or 15 minutes and some even 45 or an hour.

Try asking a couple specs and see. You won't believe how far off they are. I had one lady tell me my show was 20 minutes long when it ran an hour and 15 minutes. I showed her, her own watch and told her- Get this, and I have no clue where it came from: That maam is my greatest miracle... time travel...Welcome to the future. Smile

Now back to Daniel.

A good cut and restored never hurt.
Also what about the linking ropes?
A nice change bag routine?
I saw a guy use two specs for the "in again out again cuffs" with a large cloth between them.

Just some ideas.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Honestly,,,, I don't know what any of these tricks are Smile . I am still new and learning very fast but I don't know what linking ropes (like linking rings) or in and out cuffs... And what is A changing bag?? Please help a not stupid just ignorant beginner:)
Jack Of Hearts!
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Daniel,

Beg, borrow, or steal (no, don't steal), but in anyway you can, get a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, the BIG BOOK, not the little book. It's stuffed full of magic, I haven't even dented it, and I think all your answers are there. You may even be able to get it at the library.

But don't slow down. You've got a couple of good tricks, and some good advice on the way to go. After that, hit the bricks and experiment, keep trying new effects until you find the ones that are you. It sounds Zen like, but that's what's going to happen. And after you get some good hats and some poor hats, save up your dough and get Cellini's "The Royal Touch," it's about $80. I got mine from Hank Lee's. I got my Mark Wilson book from Amazon.com for $20, and I here you can find it at half that if you know where to look ... obviously I didn't! Smile

You can turn three tricks in a 12 to 20 minute show. It's easy, and doesn't have to be boring or long-winded. Remember in that 12 to 20 minutes you've got to gather your crowd, a couple of minutes at least; do something to wow 'em, a three-plus minute effect; a keep 'em there trick, probably 3 or four minutes; and your closer, a five minute trick at least; then it's going to take a couple of minutes (we hope) to collect your hat, your wits and re-set whatever it is you have to reset. Unless my math is as bad as my magic, your show just clocked in at about 16 minutes, and you didn't have much time to interact with your audience. Remember, you're "on" from the moment you start calling an audience until the last one has let go of his tip into your hat (or other appropriate receptacle). In any venue like the street you can only turn it down a notch while you're re-setting because if you're not "on" then, too, somebody may not stick around, thinking you're packing to go home.

It sounds like a great venue to me. All the best. Have fun playing in the streets.

Joe in KC
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Actually,,, I think,, I am going to have to wait until
A. I get Strait A's this 9 weeks (I am REALLY working on that)
B. I have a succesful show and get some money then...
Until then,, my mom thinks magic is getting in the way of school so she doesn't do anything to help.. that's why I am going for strait A's until then,, I don't have any money to buy stuff until my birthday (I love my Uncle:) At least someone likes me doing magic). But one day I'm going to make enough to further my study in magic.. Until then I am just going to hang on for the ride Smile
Thanx for all the help Smile BYE
Jack Of Hearts!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Hey Daniel,

Here are the prices:

A good cut and restored.
Mark Wilson's cyclopedia $10 (Paperback)

Linking ropes. (like linking rings only just 3 to link and unlink)
Cheap ready made set $5 at the magic warehouse.

Change bag. $10 at the magicwarehouse.

"in again out again cuffs" Or chain shackles.
Servicable chain shackles $20 at the trickery.

You can read the descriptions online.

Read the routines and note the effects of the pros right here at the Café.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
Dan, if you can do something with fire, safety and authorities permitting, put it in the show, especially at the top when you need to draw a crowd.
I did well with a jumbo invisable deck. Big, visual, great pay off. It was easily a 5-7 minute routine. Everyone is correct in saying you don't need lots of tricks, but really sell the one's you have.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Hey Dan, sounds like you're on the right track!

I'm a "youth" (uggh, I hate that word! Lol!) myself, and I hit the street last summer. I was SCARED STIFF, and it wasn't my first time performing magic!

Here's some food for thought...Maybe you can learn from my dilemma. My two openers were: Linking rings, OR sponge balls out of my mouth.

Linking Rings were good, cause you could talk to your "customers", but then again, I don't have the knack of talking to just a few people without putting them on the spot. I can see them thinking "uh, oh, a weirdo street man. Let's get away." On the other hand, when I did the sponge balls, I couldn't talk, therefore not holding people, but I could see it fascinated people to see a guy burping yellow foam things.

I guess the point of this ramble is: experiment with your opener by all means! Do something that can keep "going", such as linking rings, and that don't' have to be reset.

Good luck, and it's not as scary as it may seem! Let us know how it goes!

You'll have a GREAT feeling when you do a good show, and people clap....For example, I did a show and maybe netted about 1.50...it was a buncha teenagers with loose change...But it was one of the COOLEST shows I've done! Sometimes the reactions you get will be worth more than any amount of money you can get, cause you get to meet all SORTS of people! You'll rememer 'em forever!

Great luck!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Thanx Bird Brain:)... You hit the spot on what I was going to ask next... Would Light Flight(Small glowing ball floats), be a good starter? To get peoples attention... I mean, I would seem to be,, after all,, I read all the archived posts,,, (literarly), INCLUDING the one about atention grabbers... Fire or D Lights.. My parents drew the line at fire Smile Probably a good idea, and I don't like Dlights to much.. I knew how they were done when I wasnt a magician... I know they can be great, but I just don't like em. So I thought a glowing ball Floating might be better than one gowing from finger to finger. Good Idea? Bad?

Thanx for all imput
Jack Of Hearts!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Lite flie is neat but unless you are working in a darker area it is not as cool, just another floating ball. It is also on the small side. However if you already have there attention then it will get/keep them wowed. It is an IT hook-up but one that can be easily stored on the body. Of course breakage will be a big possibility.

D-lites, does anyone not own a set of these, will work wonders. Easy to use and very visual. I would recomend kicking in the extra cash for the new white one's Rocco is making. They are incrediblebly bright, and have this angelic white color to them. Since i am feeling generous. the best way to introduce them is to reach up and pluck them off some ones camera. Either the red light signifying the flash is ready for red D-Lites or the flash itself for the white ones. Of all the trickks i have done with these this always gets the best reaction, I have seen people studying their cameras after my act, it's hilarious.

MAt
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Well,, Actually I would be preforming at night, so that's why I thought light flight would be good. Has any one every caught you with D lights??? I saw a man preform them in New Orleans and he was terrible.. I didn't know what they were,, I just knew they were thumb tips.. It was before I started magic...
Jack Of Hearts!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Please help me with my show:) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL