The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Klose Up and Unpublished Kenton Knepper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Klose Up And Unpublished by Kenton Knepper
Medium: DVD (re issue from video?)
Arena: close up,
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

People have strong feelings about Kenton Knepper, either they think he is a genius or they think he is amazingly overrated. I think he is amazingly overrated. I think Wonder Words is a crock and to this day the only thing I think I ever was really ripped off about was buying his booklet on cold reading. That being said I’ll try to do an honest review of his DVD Klose Up and Unpublished. This may have come out before in video tape but I really don’t recall it, I think it was but it is out on DVD now for you in the Kenton krew.

The quality of the picture for a home shot project isn’t too bad, neither is the sound, with the exception of some machine noise that is tolerable. It is shot by a stand alone camera so there are no changes in angle or close ups etc.. That really doesn’t matter here because there really isn’t anything here where they are needed, odd as that sounds. The presentations are clearly presentations, you can tell Kenton is in his ‘performer’ mode and not real natural in action. This is common to most magicians, they have the voice a little deeper, act like they are walking the stage, you know the drill. The explanations are a mix. While he explains everything Kenton obviously is very proud of himself and loves to ramble on…and on….and on…..and…you get the picture. The explanation on his first torn and restored card should have taken less time then it took for him to explain how he folds the card. While this is better than someone not explaining clearly enough this is bordering on maddening. He explains things to the point where the dimmest bulb in the world of magic who needs patients and lots of instruction will be screaming ‘move on!’. Do keep in mind I’m not a fan of his and others may find him charming and his explanations enlightening and a journey into the art of magic. I was looking for a high point to jump off.

Let’s look at the material because in an instructional DVD that is important. Give me a choice of a guy dragging on in his home with good material vs a greatly produced and vivid DVD with no substance I’ll take the home made one with the yappy guy every time.

Torn and Restored Card #1

Didn’t fool me, wouldn’t fool a spectator unless done in the dark of a pub, the guy was drunk, and they really didn’t pay attention.

Torn and Restored card #2

A bit better, could work but just didn’t do it for me. The presentation is kind of weak as well. There are way better sources for torn and restored card.

Stretching The boundaries

I liked this when I did it 40 years ago as a kid for fun and I like it now. A coin seems to penetrate a balloon and you then show it is in that balloon. Looks really cool and with the new clear balloons it is worth looking at. Unless Kenton created this one prior to around 1968 I claim it as mine and I doubt I created the concept. I do admit I had not thought of a magic application for it and Kentons proving it is in the balloon at the end of the routine is nice.

Headache Free:

Bill to impossible location, in this case an aspirin tin that is closed with a rubber band and the signed bill is found in the tin also wrapped in a rubber band. This is a really neat idea wrapped in a bad presentation. I would rework it, make it a longer piece, and I think it would kill. It also is easily reset, which is a bonus. Good idea.

Spasmatic Spongeballs:

I love sponge ball magic and this one is pretty good and would be entertaining for adults (a bit to quick for kids but they would also like it). I liked the routine, the handling is pretty basic and easy. The only complaint is Kenton again rambles on rather than just explaining the dang routine. Note to Kenton, explain it straight up then you can ramble on with your thoughts and what you think needs emphasized.

Conscious Overload:

A full deck routine that actually is pretty good and while the DVD cover says it will take some work it isn’t very difficult. This would play big at a table full of people because there are some subtle moves that give the specs that ‘I caught the magician!’ feeling but they didn’t. Again the kurse of Kenton rambling on keeps the instruction from being as clear as they could be.

Not too bad, with the exception of the torn and restored cards (which I know many collect so they will love them) the material is pretty good. Headache Free, the sponge balls, and Conscious Overload are items that, once you develop your own routine, you will likely consider if you do table work. If Kenton can ever get over himself perhaps we can get magic from him in a more uniform manner than the droning we get here. Not everything is easy in life and listening to Kenton is just the torment you’ll have to face in order to get access to the material that is good here.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Do not be mistaken by version 1 of the torn & restored card, I have fooled many by it.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Correct me if I am wrong. I bought the VHS, and I remember a really cool coin in balloon routine.

Is that not in the DVD?
To believe is Magic.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes and it is referenced in the review. I'll put Tom down for one vote for the torn and restored card number one. See kids? What one person doesn't like another may love.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Oops missed that.

Thanks,
HJ
To believe is Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Klose Up and Unpublished Kenton Knepper (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL