The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gravity flipper or not.....that is the question..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Does Troy Hooser use a gravity flipper or a regular flipper in his book "Destroyers"? Can you use either? I am going to purchase his book and was curious.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Regular at that time, its before its invention I think
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
Joshua is correct. A regular flipper was being described in Destroyers. Yes, you can use both, but I would suggest using the Gravity Flipper, if you've got one. Much easier to handle.

Jim
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. I kind of figured the gravity flipper came about after the book, but I wasn't sure. I was mainly concerned if a gravity type flipper would be a problem.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The flipper and the flopper each have advantages. Depends on what you wish to accomplish.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Fingers iv used a grav flipper with troys videos works fine. of course I lost mine so its not working so well any more =D
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Some of the tricks in the swadling booklet that comes with his double deception have to be reworked to use the flopper. Also the magnetic feature in double decpetion permits some clever options.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I know what you are saying Mr. Townsend, that is why I was asking about it. I appreciate the help. Its good to know these things, so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into.

Sorry to hear about your flipper Barrett, hope you didn't pay too much for it. Thanks for your input.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

For folks who own the Swadling coin set, the mechanics really does allow a clean setup for vanishes done from a fanned display of coins at your fingertips (toss, drop or just a shake Smile )

What the flipper permits which the flopper does not, is the hands off vanish of a coin from under a tabled glass without having to smack/bounce the surface. You could smack/bounce the surface but that's not always possible at someone's glass top coffee table.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Jon, if I toss, drop my grav flipper, it closes.... so I'm a bit confused to what your saying
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

The flipper can go from two to one just by letting it go. The flopper needs some more help.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Ahh you mean like how you can't lay it flat?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

The flipper will flip unless you keep it flat (rim of glass does nicely) while the flopper will not flip unless you flip it. Sorry... trying to give you a sensible answer while not exposing is tough. Smile
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I know what you are talking about Mr. Townsend. One of the things you mentioned which "particularly" draws my interest is the application of a flipper/flopper as it applies to a fanned display of coins at your fingertips. I have not been educated in the mechanics of this type application, which I have a "great desire" to acquire and study.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Troy hooser does a lot with a fanned display with the gimmick
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

The base mechanics for that application has been in print for just under a hundred years and was popularized when David Roth showed his CTT using a folder. The Swadling item uses the flipper to go "one better" and his double deception has the opening mechanics facilitated by the magnetic features.

Aside from Swadling's use of electromagnetism to save an abrupt motion to use inertia at an awkward moment this stuff is pretty much incremental improvements on what Hoffmann suggested way back in "More Magic". Imagine all the time and money you could save just by reading a few good books. Smile
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks guys, my eyes are opening wider. This is one area I haven't worked on as of yet, but I intend on doing so.

I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions in the near future along these lines and I hope you will be as gracious as in the past in directing me on the right path Mr. Townsend. I know your knowledge in this arena is unsurpassed. I am definately going to want to tap that knowledge. You have already answered some of my questions in just the few lines above and I appreciate it.....
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I recently got a flopper again, and a great routine with it it think is fire coins re-lit from eric jones. iv been mad I couldn't do it for some time after losing my first one
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Glad to hear you have a new "flopper". Haven't seen that routine, but it sounds good.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Where the flipper will flip if left on to its nature, the flopper will safely show two even on a volunteer's hand. And so the wise are well advised to use both where appropriate which is most of the time - and ask for the Swadling option when you can. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gravity flipper or not.....that is the question..... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL