The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gravity flipper or not.....that is the question..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I use a "flopper" in a spectator's hand when I perform a routine by Dan Watkins called "4 Coins Your Hands". It is a great routine, it tends to make the spectators eye bulge! You have to be real careful with spectator management there though. However, if you perform the routine properly and as taught, spectator management isn't really a problem.

I guess you learn something every day. I didn't even know there was a "Swadling" option. You got me on that one Mr. Townsend. I definately will have to check into that. I have no idea what I could be missing here.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
nitrous_doc
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of nitrous_doc
Hi there guys,

I'm trying to find some direction to head toward making my own gaffed coins. Strictly hobby stuff. I'm a physician by trade and do magic for kids in the perioperative period.

I'm not having a lot of luck finding information on how gaffed coins are actually made. I can think of some ways to make simple things like double backs and I think a shell could be pressed with some hard urethane foam onto a coin but making a scotch and soda would be a treat! I imagine that effect alone would answer a lot of questions about the basics of gaffed coin work.

Any information would be appreciated.

Take care,
Doug
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Hi Doug, welcome to the Café! Making your own gaffed coins would be quite a hobby, not an easy task. Hope you have a machine shop handy. I think you might be able to get some inkling here to some of the basics of gaffed coin making searching the various threads, but I don't think they would get too involved or specific. I myself have enough trouble figuring out how to use them, much less make them. Wish I could be of help to you, but I wish you all the luck in your quest.....
nitrous_doc
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of nitrous_doc
Yes, I have a metal shop in my basement and am always looking for something interesting to do with it. I'm hoping to 'fall upon' some kind hearted soul who would have some of the basics to share. Making the shells isn't too hard. Pressing with a moderately hard urethane block distributes the pressure on sheet steel (later plated with copper) or sheet copper if a metal coin isn't required. The precision machining to get the inserts to fit exactly is, I'm guessing, a little more than precision machining although that is undoubtedly part of it.

Thanks
Doug
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Phil Postma, the inventor of the gaff would likely be the person to ASK about making his invention. Other gaffs, from the expanded and non-expanded ] are almost in the public domain per-se as are the copper and silver composites.

Let's move this discussion off to the do-it-yourself side okay?

As to making flippers or floppers... I would guess the flopper would be a little easier.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
How much is the cheepest gravity flipper?
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Wow Doug, I was kidding about the metal shop, but if you do have the equipment I would listen to what Mr. Townsend has to say about it.

I'm not too sure there is such a thing as a cheap "gravity" flipper. I paid $95 for mine from the Schoolcraft site. Originally I purchased what I would call a "regular" or "non-gravity" flipper that cost me about $25, but it was a piece of junk in my opinion, which led me to get the gravity flipper I have now.....
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

I thought the gravity flippers were around 200 dollars. What other gravity flippers exist besides the dollar coins?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1965 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 17:07, THEGUY26 wrote:
I thought the gravity flippers were around 200 dollars. What other gravity flippers exist besides the dollar coins?

They are for the dollar coins, the half dollars are around $150.00
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Wow. That's a little too expensive. I'm not too much of a coin worker.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I have found that coin magic is an art, which requires a lot of hard work and dedication THEGUY26. Its not for everyone and if you aren't willing to fulfill the requirements, then you shouldn't pay the price, no brag, just fact.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Yeah, that's why some of us invented the EG and DBC sleights ... just in case we dropped our coins. Smile

You want to see a muggle's eyes go WIDE with amazement, drop a coin gaff on the floor and when it explodes into pieces and rubber bands and stuff...
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Ha, not sure I would want to see that Mr. Townsend. By the way I PMed you with a link, but I am not sure it went through.....
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-01 06:28, Fingers wrote:
I have found that coin magic is an art, which requires a lot of hard work and dedication THEGUY26. Its not for everyone and if you aren't willing to fulfill the requirements, then you shouldn't pay the price, no brag, just fact.....

Yeah, your right. I don't do much coins, I do cards and such. I feel like I am really bad at coin magic, because I can just barely do a Goshman Pinch.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I am not sure I would use the Goshman Pinch as a standard to measure how good a coin man I was THEGUY26. I think cards are great, but what I will say about coins is it isn't worth spending a good sum of money unless you plan on putting in the work and time required to get the results necessary to get your moneys worth.....
lubdub
View Profile
Regular user
bloomsburg, pa
107 Posts

Profile of lubdub
I perfer my gravity flipper. It allows the moves to look so much smoother and allows better routines(check out coin man walking). I also like the fact that my schoolcraft is shimmed by jamie(all of the schoolcraft's are shimmed). And the insert looks more realalistic. Another point is the bands on gravity flippers last sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much long and are a lot easier to replace(in my opinion).

Hope this helps,
Jordan
only a magician can play a liar but then all magicians are liars
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I have one of Jamie's gravity flippers(Walking Liberty) and I totally agree with you Jordan.....
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
First let me tell you that a friend of mine has one of the Gravity Flipper coins and they are great.

However, I don't own one. Here's why. A little over 15 years ago when I started doing my Flip-M-out routine (The flipper wasn't as known then) I ran into the problem of secretly opening the flipper. I eventually found a solution. It turns any flipper coin into what's now known as a gravity flipper. The solution was simple. I went ot my local Dental Supply warehouse and picked up rubber bands that where larger in diameter and thinner (1/4" lite or Medium grade). They have less tension on them so it makes the flipper easier to open.

I made this short webcam video demonstrating the difference between a flipper with the bands that come with them and a flipper with the lighter grade band.

You can watch the video here.

Both of these are the cheaper flipper coins (Sasco) and it's what I use because I slam the coins on the table during my routine. I don't like to use my Lassen coin for my Flip-M-Out routine but I use Lassens for other routines.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

So a bigger band makes your flipper floppy?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, that's what I'll call them. Flipper Floppy bands.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Gravity flipper or not.....that is the question..... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL