The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » It came in! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 10:13, simquad wrote:
Is it a recommended book?

Quite possibly the MOST recomended book. If you asked for one and only one book recomendation from 1000 magicians, I would be willing to bet 900 of them would say Mark Wilson's CCIM.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Ive just completed 2 new routines which have worked out very well. They both grew out of evening flicking throw this book. I love it.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
You made a wise purchase Scot. Mark Wilson's CCIM will keep you busy for a while.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Great book, no doubt. Enjoy it slowly like a fine wine. Take your time, there is so much good stuff, if you master half of it, you will be one of the best!

Good luck...
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 10:13, simquad wrote:
Is it a recommended book?

It's one of the best. When they same complete, they mean complete. If you're a magician, you need to get this book. Smile

John
Greedo
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Greedo
I think I need to get this. So far, I've been using Jean Hugard's Royal Road to Card Magic, and it's a good book, too. And 300 tricks in 502 Pages with pictures seems great value for $24.99 CAD.
Kevin
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 12:43, Greedo wrote:
I think I need to get this. So far, I've been using Jean Hugard's Royal Road to Card Magic, and it's a good book, too. And 300 tricks in 502 Pages with pictures seems great value for $24.99 CAD.

Yes, you should get it. RRTCM and MWCCIM are in my opinion the two bests books for beginning and advanced magicians at the best price. Smile

John
Greedo
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Greedo
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 12:47, john_herm wrote:
Quote:

Yes, you should get it. RRTCM and MWCCIM are in my opinion the two bests books for beginning and advanced magicians at the best price. Smile

John
It looks like it teaches pretty much every style. I think I'd buy some sponge balls with it, since the store I buy from offers free shipping if you buy $40+. What size would you recommend? They have 1", 1.5", and 2", and a set of 4 multiplying 1.5" sponge balls with a gimmick for $1.50 more.
Kevin
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 13:01, Greedo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

John
It looks like it teaches pretty much every style. I think I'd buy some sponge balls with it, since the store I buy from offers free shipping if you buy $40+. What size would you recommend? They have 1", 1.5", and 2", and a set of 4 multiplying 1.5" sponge balls with a gimmick for $1.50 more.

I use 1.5 inch sponge balls, and that's all I've ever used. You're right, it's a great idea to buy them with it, because Mark's sponge ball routine is the basis of nearly all routines. Ask some other people about the size, I don't know which are recommended. Smile

John
Greedo
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Greedo
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 14:06, john_herm wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 13:01, Greedo wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

John

I use 1.5 inch sponge balls, and that's all I've ever used. You're right, it's a great idea to buy them with it, because Mark's sponge ball routine is the basis of nearly all routines. Ask some other people about the size, I don't know which are recommended. Smile

John
Thanks anyways! How much does the book rely on billiard balls, rope, and other such items I may not have? I have a TT but that's about it for magical items...
Kevin
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Most of the magic can be done with household items that you can purchase at local stores (cards, cardboard, wood, etc...).
There is an entire section on magic using household items (paper clips, paper, rubber bands, etc...).
There is an entire section on impromptu magic, using only common items.
The card section has effects that require nothing but a regular deck, and some that require gaffs.
The Money section is similar to the card section, in that most of the effects can be done with ordinary money, but he introduces some common gaff coins.

The sponge ball routine is excellent (As I use it), as is the Cups & balls routine (My routine evolved from it). I have never done a billiard routine, however if I did, I would start with the one in this book.

There is a section devoted to common magicians props (Dove pan, change bag, and more).
There is a section on stage magic. It includes drawings and instructions how to build all of the props.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mark Wilson had to create new props every week for his T.V. shows. He did not have a huge budget either, so he teaches you how to assemble your effects in a budget conscious way.

It really is an excellent book. I wouldn't worry too much about the props as you can dive right in with items you may already have, or could easily have, unless you were particularly interested in the Sponge ball, Billiard ball, or Rope material.

Good luck,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Greedo
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Greedo
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 18:52, what wrote:
Most of the magic can be done with household items that you can purchase at local stores (cards, cardboard, wood, etc...).
There is an entire section on magic using household items (paper clips, paper, rubber bands, etc...).
There is an entire section on impromptu magic, using only common items.
The card section has effects that require nothing but a regular deck, and some that require gaffs.
The Money section is similar to the card section, in that most of the effects can be done with ordinary money, but he introduces some common gaff coins.

The sponge ball routine is excellent (As I use it), as is the Cups & balls routine (My routine evolved from it). I have never done a billiard routine, however if I did, I would start with the one in this book.

There is a section devoted to common magicians props (Dove pan, change bag, and more).
There is a section on stage magic. It includes drawings and instructions how to build all of the props.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mark Wilson had to create new props every week for his T.V. shows. He did not have a huge budget either, so he teaches you how to assemble your effects in a budget conscious way.

It really is an excellent book. I wouldn't worry too much about the props as you can dive right in with items you may already have, or could easily have, unless you were particularly interested in the Sponge ball, Billiard ball, or Rope material.

Good luck,

Mike
Thanks for your post, very helpful. I am particularily intersted in Sponge ball magic, mostly because of the magician who showed me some at a restaurant once. He put one in my hand, then there were two..!
Kevin
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I promised myself tonight that I was going to start exploring the cup and ball section of this book tonight after I finished perusing the Café. The book is just to my left. Absolutely one of the best $20 I've spent, ever.
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-06-27 01:21, Froste wrote:
I promised myself tonight that I was going to start exploring the cup and ball section of this book tonight after I finished perusing the Café. The book is just to my left. Absolutely one of the best $20 I've spent, ever.

That's funny, so did I! I'd never really done a cups and balls routine before, but had bought some cups a few years back. So I decided to get them out, and now I'm practicing like crazy. Smile

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » It came in! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL