The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Charlier cut and then cards spins across to other hand... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andyvan3226
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of andyvan3226
Anyone know the name/author of the sleight of hand move whereby the deck is Charlier cut and then the bottom card of the new top half is moved to the farthest part of the deck and then levered off under pressure so that it shoots over to the other hand?

Thanks in advance!
Edsel Chiu
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong / Los Angeles
325 Posts

Profile of Edsel Chiu
I think you are talking about the Hot-shot cut by Daryl.

Edsel,
"If there is magic, let it be an art." - William Shakespeare
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Edsel is correct.
walterh
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of walterh
Just a side note. The cutting sequence Daryl uses is not a basic Charlier cut but rather a between the fingers spinning style cut.
jalal12321
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of jalal12321
The cut is actually called the Snow Shoe Cut.
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
I might be making a complete fool of myself but I was so sure the hot-shot cut was Lennart Green. You learn something new everyday,

Diane
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
It's written-up in Daryl's Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler.

Lennart Green has Top Shot and Thumb Shot; similar-sounding, I guess.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
I actually do this move myself with a false charlier cut keeping the card to be projected on the bottom of the pack, the thumb reaches over and grabs the side of the deck closest to the fingers, then the other half is levered over by the first and second fingers, the hand re-adjusts and uses the second and third fingers to propel the card. It's difficult to describe- but maybe I'll eventually post a vid some magicians have asked me about this weird move that I do.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I knew one magician who did it quite a bit. It looks very difficult to do and another friend of mine is presently trying to learn it and it has taken him over two weeks already.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 00:21, clynim wrote:
I knew one magician who did it quite a bit. It looks very difficult to do and another friend of mine is presently trying to learn it and it has taken him over two weeks already.

Tell him he has a ways to go. When I learned it I didn't expect it would take so long to get %100. Well worth the practice though. Lay people love raw skill. In fact, I get some of the best reactions from card effects that show skill...It makes you look "for real" in the eyes of the lay audience.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
The friend that is trying to learn it has very nearly mastered it. Of course, he runs a magic shop and sometimes has plenty of time on his hands to practice such things.

About the only part he hasn't gotten down is the actual catching of the card once he shoots it out of the deck. He's surprised that the part of the flourish that one would think was the easiest to do would turn out being the hardest for him. Gives one a whole new appreciation for those who have mastered the hard sleights and flourishes.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Charlier cut and then cards spins across to other hand... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL