The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cutting with fingers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hello,

Normally I'm not a big fan of cutting rope with your fingers instead of a scissor.
Sometimes, in the fiber optics routine I do, I must, it's not that elegant, but it's gets a nice reaction sometimes.

But now I own a professors dream set, which you can very cleanly show as one rope at the beginning of the rouitne that I do. I make a knot in the rope and can cut the rope with a scissor, which is not a magical effect, but just the beginning of the routine.

But I thought, if I show one solid piece of rope very cleanly, and then make a knot, and cut the rope with my fingers: I have an extra magic effect!

I was wondering wath you guys think about this. Does it make the routine more magical or less magical? In the situations I work in now I don't have the oppertunity to perform this effect. I don't think it is very suitable for close up.

Simon
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Here ist one thing that I do that actually improves the "cutting with the fingers" illusion. Have a tiny little piece of rope palmed. Do the "finger" cut and wait for the reaction. "Cool isn't it" then cut of a tiny piece by miming to cut the rope again and releasing the tiny bit (let it fall to the floor or toss it into the audience) "It was a little too long to begin with. Now we are set!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Nice one Roland.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Cool
Jolyon Jenkins
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I like that , Roland, often felt the cut with fingers hinted that the rope was gimmicked some how, was always hesitant to do it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Roland, that's the first sensible idea I've heard on cutting the rope with your fingers! I've always avoided it like the plague, but I might have to change my thinking. Brilliant!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I did a bunch of impromptu magic at the childrens hospital today for the staff and patients. My oldest was having a battery of tests and since we grew up in that institution I thought I would snap a few and bring somes smiles. It never ceases to amze me how amazed the audience is by rope routines. Nice clean, no resets.

Rope workers rejoice...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
SeaDawg
I think people are more impressed with everyday items like scissors, rope, paper, rubber bands, pens, dollar bills, coins because they have all handled them, so when you break, and restore any of them the audience is that much more impressed.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I also like Rolands idea. That being said I think the cutting with fingers is giving away the secret. I came up with two ways around it. One is I have a very dull dagger looking letter opener that I've used making it look like I used it to cut the rope. The other is a little laser light thingy and I tell the specs that I can cut the rope with the laser.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Thanks, Roland....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I never ask my audience, directly or indirectly, to believe what I'm doing is real magic. I am creating illusions, hopefully, they are surprising and entertaining. Of course, I can't really cut rope with my fingers, they're not really scisors. But if I have a good story and good pacing in my routine, the audience will just follow along and have fun.

But that's just me. I can see how a more "sober" routine might benefit from a more "logical" presentation. The key, I think, is to have a good conclusion and clean up - Professor's Nightmare is a great example of what I'm thinking. Of course I can't really stretch the ropes to the same length, but for a moment or two, it sure looks like I can.

Cheers! =D
Learn something new everyday.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cutting with fingers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL