The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » New Criss Angel Article....You think he's of Full of Himself? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OH wow the only thing wrong with the Celebrity Death Match idea is I didn't think of it! Oh lord that is good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Hmmmm, I know who Chris Angel is ... who the hell is Danny Doyle and a lot of you other folk on here! I guess with 6000 posts you must be famous and have your own show in Vegas and on TV ... I know I'd rather be where Chris is than be known for having too much time on my hands to write 6000 posts on the Café!!

Too many magicians busy giving out rubbish advice with too much time on their hands. I'm sorry but it's becoming very negative on here. This is a huge problem in magic which is why so many full time pros don't bother with clubs any more. It's a shame.

No Chris isn't full of himself. He's worked very hard to get where he is .. he doesn't sit around being negative, he surrounds himself with the top people in magic and goes ahead and becomes the greatest. To be honest, at the moment he probably IS the greatest ... simply ask the public. With his new shows coming up in Vegas etc he will certainly mark a new wave in magic in that area as he has done on TV.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 06:25, walsall wrote:
Ali was a boxer, and a sportsman. He was in competition with others. Art is not meant to be a competition, so theoretically sepaking there should be no best or worse. It should all be subjective, and be ablle to appreciate what others do, not be in competiton with them
Nick

Hmmm... Then what is FISM all about? And the IBM Gold Medal? And the Tony Awards? The Academy Awards? Drama Desk? Peabody, Newbury? The Grammys? The Emmys? CMA Awards? It is all about being the best there is, and you better not think for a moment that the rest of the artistic world isn't all about competition... Competition is what fuels the American economy. Competition is like oxygen.

Oh, and I take it back Criss isn't the best... Big Daddy Cool is the best! Can you dig THAT?
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Neither Blaine, Copperfield or Houdini have won FISM. Art is not a Sport... sorry
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 10:53, natmagic wrote:
Hmmmm, I know who Chris Angel is ... who the hell is Danny Doyle and a lot of you other folk on here! I guess with 6000 posts you must be famous and have your own show in Vegas and on TV ... I know I'd rather be where Chris is than be known for having too much time on my hands to write 6000 posts on the Café!!

Too many magicians busy giving out rubbish advice with too much time on their hands. I'm sorry but it's becoming very negative on here. This is a huge problem in magic which is why so many full time pros don't bother with clubs any more. It's a shame.

No Chris isn't full of himself. He's worked very hard to get where he is .. he doesn't sit around being negative, he surrounds himself with the top people in magic and goes ahead and becomes the greatest. To be honest, at the moment he probably IS the greatest ... simply ask the public. With his new shows coming up in Vegas etc he will certainly mark a new wave in magic in that area as he has done on TV.

Are you really dumb enough to equate number of posts to anything??

If Copperfiend came here and had one post would it make his opinion more or less valid according to your idiotic theory?

Maybe those of us who perform for a living actually do have time on our hands.

Can't we not like Criss without being jealous or anything? No guess not.

Get by the hero worship for just a second.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 17:43, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 06:25, walsall wrote:
Ali was a boxer, and a sportsman. He was in competition with others. Art is not meant to be a competition, so theoretically sepaking there should be no best or worse. It should all be subjective, and be ablle to appreciate what others do, not be in competiton with them
Nick

Hmmm... Then what is FISM all about? And the IBM Gold Medal? And the Tony Awards? The Academy Awards? Drama Desk? Peabody, Newbury? The Grammys? The Emmys? CMA Awards? It is all about being the best there is, and you better not think for a moment that the rest of the artistic world isn't all about competition... Competition is what fuels the American economy. Competition is like oxygen.

Oh, and I take it back Criss isn't the best... Big Daddy Cool is the best! Can you dig THAT?


Criss aint won any of them, art shouldn't be fueled by competition, it is preferential. The academy awards aren't actually a competition, they are supposed to be a way of recognising peoples achievement, any winning director always talks about making a the best possible film, and you can not think about trying to win awards. Most great artists aren't motivated by awarrds, it's by doing the best possible job they can.
If we went on that as a category citing them as the competiton, I don't believe you or Crisss could call your self the best!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Except in marketing magic, "best" is an idiotic term in my opinion. For it is ALL opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I was kidding. Although I have won my fair share of competitions both in magic, music and acting. According to statistical data, the fact that I made my sole living as an entertainer for 20+ years places me in the top 1% of performers in the world. So in truth, I am one of the best Smile

You all seem to be forgetting something about show business - it is show BUSINESS. In business, if you aren't being competitive, then you are just treading water. Art can and should be competitive. It is possible. Unfortunately we have been conditioned to believe that art can't possibly be commercially successful and therefor must be subsidised. Hogwash.

As for any statements made by Criss Angel, Blaine or even myself, it all comes down to creating controversy. As WWE/WCW personality Eric Bischoff put it with the title of his book - Controversy Creates Cash. Let that hang on the clothesline of your mind...
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
BDC your right. BUT done wrong it just makes you look like an idiot.

NOT YOU! You in a general sense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Big Daddy Cool I see you're a wrestling fan..welcome to the club

have you been to http://www.tpww.net ? that's where I get all my gossip from.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Agreed!
RobertBloor
View Profile
Inner circle
The Socialist Republic of the USA.
1051 Posts

Profile of RobertBloor
Quote:
On 2007-05-23 18:21, Alex Linian wrote:
Sadly, Criss hasn't really made it. He's not a household name or a personality (partly because he has no personality) even though he prostitudes himself to be in the public eye. Well, at least the NBA commercials are cool.... Wait... o yeah that was Blaine.
Poor Criss I can't help but to feel bad for him.


Exactly how many prime time television specials, A&E contracts, contracts with the Luxor, and millions of dollars does one have to make doing magic before they've "made it?"

Somehow I doubt he needs your pity.


Quote:
natmagic: Hmmmm, I know who Chris Angel is ... who the hell is Danny Doyle and a lot of you other folk on here! I guess with 6000 posts you must be famous and have your own show in Vegas and on TV ... I know I'd rather be where Chris is than be known for having too much time on my hands to write 6000 posts on the Café!!


Well you've got 65 down only 5,935 to go.

And danny's doing quite well for himself in Mexico.


-Robert
"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"
-The Declaration of Independence
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Criss Angel has worked very hard, and has become "king of the mountain" as Big Daddy said. He has worked and got a deal with a TV network, and worked it hard and is has had 3 seasons. An unheard of feat in the US since Mark Wilson. He deserves credit for that. But there is a reality check, his television specials and his series are on cable, the numbers do not even come close to the numbers generated by David Blaine.

Blaine also worked hard and made it to network television, and if he has an idea for a special, he can approach the networks and it will probably happen.

Both of these guys have come very far, if Criss is king of the mountain, he is surrounded by the ocean that is David Blaine. BUT both live on the planet Copperfield.

David Copperfield, if he had an idea for a special, the networks would come to him. He is a household name, but if his name is fading just a bit, it is because of his absence from the popular media as of late. But both Blaine and Angel both are in HIS shadow.

Tony
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Tony,

That is probably a pretty accurate assessment of the current situation. I really wish DC would re-emerge to network TV...

I have shared some thoughts about this subject on the this week's (Episode 2) of my new podcast. I've also addressed working the Mall Market, for any magicians looking to work malls.

http://flip-side.podomatic.com
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 20:35, RobertBloor wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-23 18:21, Alex Linian wrote:
Sadly, Criss hasn't really made it. He's not a household name or a personality (partly because he has no personality) even though he prostitudes himself to be in the public eye. Well, at least the NBA commercials are cool.... Wait... o yeah that was Blaine.
Poor Criss I can't help but to feel bad for him.


Exactly how many prime time television specials, A&E contracts, contracts with the Luxor, and millions of dollars does one have to make doing magic before they've "made it?"





It has nothing to do with contracts bud... and what's with the bold lettering?
RobertBloor
View Profile
Inner circle
The Socialist Republic of the USA.
1051 Posts

Profile of RobertBloor
Quote:

It has nothing to do with contracts bud... and what's with the bold lettering?



I like bold.

And if it has nothing to do with "contracts" (ie: money, successful career etc) - then please do tell us when exactly someone in our business has "made it."

As I'm trying to "make it" myself, I'd love to know what to look for when I get there.

-Robert
"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"
-The Declaration of Independence
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1278 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Haha... nah. I'll keep that info to myself
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
RobertBloor, if you hafta ask then you haven't made it. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
"What is understood need not be discussed" -Loren Adams

So why is Criss still discussing that he's the best? If he is then everybody would know without having to be told. He is however free to have his own opinion, but almost every layperson I talk to say that while yeah he's good, Copperfield is still the greatest, as CA has yet to do something really big. I didn't need that to make up my mind but it is more evidence that DC is, as far as the world is concerned, is still top dog.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Let's give some love for Criss Angel for SHARING his TV stage with so many other Magic artists on these shows. I think it is so important and cool that he is doing this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » New Criss Angel Article....You think he's of Full of Himself? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL