The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is this IT? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
I bought some black nylon craft yarn at Walmart. .25 for 10 yards. Is this what I have heard should be used for IT? Seems like the right stuff. Thoughts? Did I buy the right thing?
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Not exactly, but it might work. What you're looking for is sewing thread known as "wooly nylon." You might be able to use the craft yarn. Once you strip out a strand and play with it you'll know for sure.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Well, I've never used it before, but it seems liek it will work well. It's really strong, and while it seems obvious to me while I'm using it, I watched it in a mirror, and I cant see itat all, even wearing a light colored shirt. Now all I need to do is find a good routine.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Just be careful with it. It can be seen in certain lighting conditions so the darker the room, the better.

Also, be on the lookout for the "wooly nylon" mentioned above. That is what is sold as IT. Make sure you get the black color since brown will look black in some light.

Good luck! Mark.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Your single strands should be smooth, shiney, very thin, a bit elastic, much like the strands of of thread in a woman's hair net.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Ron Jaxon has a great primer on IT. Use the search function for this and other valuable information.
Cards never lie
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
What you found is most likely Rayon thread. Look at the package it came in to confirm this.

If it is rayon then here's the thing. It is made of long endless strands like invisible thread is (Instead of tiny fibers like cotton thread). In other words it can be stripped. But the problem with rayon is it isn't strong enough to really be useful. It will really easily even while stripping.

If it isn't rayon it could there are other threads that can be used. Singer button carpet for example can be used as IT. It's a pain to strip but it works.

Mind letting us know what the package says your is made of?

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
It is nylon, and it is strong. But it isn't smooth.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Here is a picture of what I have. I found the wooly nylon. Youre absolutely right that it is not the same thing. I suspect this would work, but if the wolly nylon is better, then I will get it and give this yarn to my daughter for crafts.

Click here to view attached image.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Hi, Scot. I'm new as well.
Silk Worm elastic IT is on sale at Penguin for $11 for a 500' strand.

I'm going to get some in anticipation of the LOOPS DVD's they are raving about.
But I'll have to wait and put that on my June budget...been buying too much magic stuff this month. Smile

Edit: Oops, sorry. I've got loops on the brain...you weren't asking about elastic thread. I'm sure SOMEONE will offer to drop some in the mail for you. A magic friend sent me a card with about 10 ft of IT wrapped around it. That will go pretty far, and barely put a dent in his stash.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is this IT? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL