The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Derren Brown Something Wicked (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NewsReporter
View Profile
New user
Bentonville
13 Posts

Profile of NewsReporter
Derren brown does a routine where he makes five specs pick a ball from a bag. One spec has a black one, all the rest have white. He then determines who has the black ball by asking a series of questions.

It seems like I have seen a very similar routine and I was hoping someone could fill me in on where it might have come from. Any help?
Thamiel
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Thamiel
Max Maven has a routine called Kurotsuke on his Videomind series, where he puts a series of white stones and one black in a bag, and has spectators freely select a random stone. He then divines who has the black. I haven't seen the Derren Brown effect in question, but perhaps it is something with a similar handling.

Thamiel
billyboy1957
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of billyboy1957
Having seen Brown and Maven's routine, I think it likely they the former is based on the latter.

Ian
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
THERES a new one at hocus pocus called detect-a-ball or something. s'pposed to be a COMEDY vibe, but us bizaarists will have no trouble wrapping it in TRAGEDY, if we so choose . Smile

ITS IN the new items page.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Think along the lines of Charles Gauci's "Body Language". It is an improvement of Max Maven's "Kurotsuke". I think the principle used by Gauci is similar to the Derren Brown effect in question.....having not seen it I'm just guessing here. Hope this helps.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
It sounds exactly like THE UNDERTAKER ala Baba Gede. Exactly except for the rusty/shiny nails..instead of balls.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
The DB effect IS Kurotsuke.
Having seen him do it a few times,he does this, rather than gaucci's more flexible effect, so as to get the impression about the "1st kiss" memory.
There is a version call "Equinox" too, I'm told, but I have no info on that.
Hope that helps
[
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
JalenS, I don't think (though I could be wrong) that Derren's methodology, at least, as it's described here, would work that well with a ch*** **g.
Well, maybe it could, but I think those things suffer from a few limitations in terms of full perception, shall we way.

For a more detailed discussion on this prop, I could take it to the secret forum if anyone wanted. Which in all honesty, I'd totally forgotten about until just now ! wow.. I haven't been "there" in months. heh
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Try oddball by Marc Oberon
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
JalenS, I don't think (though I could be wrong) that Derren's methodology, at least, as it's described here, would work that well with a ch*** **g.
Well, maybe it could, but I think those things suffer from a few limitations in terms of full perception, shall we way.

I have never seen the routine, but I too based on the description immediately though of using the same method. In the right setting, this could be a lot of fun Smile
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I saw Derren perform this live on his touring show, as always he was excellent. At the interval I overheard members of the audience discussing how good at reading body language and tells Derren was to detect who was lying, to me this is Derrens greatest trick, his misdirection of the qudience. Now I don't know how Derren determines who has the black ball, but as a magician I was thinking if I were to do that I'd *** well know who was getting the black ball before I started.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Well, I'd definitely invest in Gaucci's 'Body Language' Wardini; it's pretty foolproof, and no-one has ever cottoned on to the method.
In recent months, and with increasing gigs, I've upgraded to a lovely Labco toy which allows the cleanest version yet.
And you're right, it's the kind of effect which goes down very well with precisely the middle-class, intelligent audiences that normally wouldn't dream of seeing a 'magic show'; snobbery is misdirection!
[
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1522 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 16:41, Mystician wrote:

For a more detailed discussion on this prop, I could take it to the secret forum if anyone wanted. Which in all honesty, I'd totally forgotten about until just now ! wow.. I haven't been "there" in months. heh

Oh, my bad. It sounded like the same method from the description.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
I've a question regarding Charles Gauci's "Body Language" that I fear may border on exposure. Would anyone here who has the effect mind a quick pm?

Thanks
Jon
saracen
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of saracen
It is the "Equinox" effect Derren used on stage.
JonWhite
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of JonWhite
My question's been answered.

Thanks Steve.
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
If anyone wants to see Derren's performance it is available on google video if you just search his name. Some of his other TV specials are available as well, as are some of David Copperfield's and penn & teller's.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2256 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Equinox is used by a significant number of pros and I have been told by performers who own it and who have seen his performance that it is indeed Equinox that Mr. Brown uses. However, I would not dream of asking Mr. Brown to confirm this. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Derren Brown Something Wicked (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL