The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Pingpong ball in nose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Fellows,

I need your help, this is maybe old effect, magician throw a pingpong ball to the air,and he catch it with his nose. It is more than a joke effect,as finally magician show the pingpong ball stick on his nose. It should be use glue or what??
I really wanna do this effect, pls PM me if you can help.

Thank you very much.
CC.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
It's a classic "gag" effect. I've sent you a PM.

Mark.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Since I believe I invented this... more than 50 years ago... I can give you the straight scoop. There was a trick sold by Abbott's called "Miracle Sphere" by Bob Nellor. It was a great effect. You had a ball, tossed it into the air, caught it and with no moves, the ball vanished.

This was done by putting rubber cement on a ball and on the back of your hand. The ball hit the back of your hand and stuck... the illusion was that the ball was caught in your hand, so when you opened the hand... no ball. Nice changeover handling and you reproduced the ball.

At that time I included juggling in my act and decided to try it using a blown egg. I also had a gag with a solid steel egg that I tried to catch on a plate and the plate was smashed to bits.

Anyway, I did the blown egg, catching it on my nose... and subsequently found several, some big names, after seeing my do it added it to their acts.

Now, it may have been an older gag used by a clown, I don't know, as I had never seen or heard of the gag before I came up with it.

But I firmly believe I was the first to do it in a magic/juggling act.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks Pete! That's a new bit of history learned today.

Mark. Smile
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Pete,
I had no idea that traced back to you. On behalf of jugglers, emcees, magi, and all the rest...we thank thee!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Yep Emmett Kelly used to do something like that with the ball on nose he also did it with a feather and he would blow the feather up with his mouth then finally it would land on his nose. So far all I know Emmett Kelly could have learned it from Pete.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2341 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I believe this was on Charlie Frye's Eccentricks...I forget if it was Vol. 1 or 2...I think 1.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think it was around long before me. I just had never seen or heard of it when I came on the idea.

I remember seeing (after I was doing the gag) someone on, I think, the Carol Burnett show get a can of frozen jucke stuck on his forhead. That was pretty funny and I think the same method.

The long feather is a standard old juggling bit. You bought one in a long metal tube and blew it out, caught it on the nose and balanced it. Very easy to do.
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Emmett Kelly used a small feather about an inch long easy to blow up into the air and slowly float down. cheers chris
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
932 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I learned this from some lecture notes I got from Pete Biro quite a few years ago and used it to open many a show. Always got a good laugh.

I am also a table tennis player and was attending a HawaiiJapan Friendship Tournament a few years ago and when our mixed team went up to get our trophy (first place ....bottom division) I talked about how we practice every day on our paddle strokes and our balance.... and then did this to a momentarily silent and amazed crowd. Then the kicker and the laughter. Made the day. Thanks Pete.

Barry
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Pete. Now we know how that feat came into being. Another history lesson we just learnt.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Can parting the Red Sea be next?

:hysteric: Smile Smile

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That I didn't do, but I did part a small pond one winter. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 13:30, Stanyon wrote:
Can parting the Red Sea be next?

:hysteric: Smile Smile

Cheers! Smile

Where would it get us? Agents would just tell you that it's been done before. Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I just want Pete to 'fess up that he's been doing this for soooo long that he dated Moses' sister!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No, but did have lunch with his uncle once.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Ba - Dum - Bum!!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Pingpong ball in nose (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL