The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Nothing of significance. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
How does one, accidentally on purpose, show: There is nothing of significance on the top or bottom?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What specifically would be of siginificance?

One tact is to announce a finding, look to verify and then act cresfallen about it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5441 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Maybe a miscall; showing the top as the expected outcome and feigning surprise when it is not, then showing the bottom, also feigning surprise when it is not as expected.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
You might want to flash it, or spread the deck openly . . . .
Cards never lie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
In a four Ace trick, the name of which escapes me, Marlo says: There is nothing of significance on the top or bottom, then shows them. I want to do something simular but to show that accidentally on purpose, as it seems better some how.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

I always give the deck a false shuffle - that destroys all suspicions.
Cards never lie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does it?

Tommy
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
I wouldn't thinks so
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

How come?
Cards never lie
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
For the bottom you could cop the card(s, square the deck by tapping it on the table, with faces to them, and then retake the deck onto the copped card(s.

The top card is another matter. I suppose that if its one card that you could pretend to drop the top card but actually do a one hand second to the table. Then replace that card to middle deck.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks.

The thing I was working on, got me into having one insignificant card on top of four of a kind, after doing a Zarrow shuffle. So I have nothing insignificant on the top or bottom at that moment. I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to demonstrate that fact there. After doing that I could do another Zarrow to get rid of the top card and so bringing the four of king to the top.

I could just split the deck as if to do another riffle and turn both packets face up, showing there is nothing of significance at the bottom of both packets, then show the top card of both packets and show there is nothing of significance there either. Then I do a Zarrow and cut thing and I have the four on top.

Basically it is just a convincer. I just figure it is more convincing if done by accident rather than openly showing them.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Convincers are always more convincing when they're perceived as accidental.

Your use of the term "insignificant" is interesting, as is the Marlo citation. What would constitute "something of significance"? Is a six insignificant but a queen is significant?

In a four-ace routine it seems that the only cards that are significant are, well, the four aces. In that case the use of the phrase "nothing of significance" would do more to arouse suspicion than to assuage it. If you want to say, "No ace up here; no ace down here, either," you'd be better off saying just that. Better still is, as you mention, to show the top and bottom cards "accidentally".

Whatever you do, don't do this: intentionally show the top card, then place it anywhere but back on top.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2133 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
How about you "accidentally" drop one or two cards of the top whilst you pick them up you flash the bottom of the deck?

M:C
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes I love Lennart Greens Poker Deal, he really suckered me with that.

Tommy
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I generally do a sloppy riffle shuffle, then square the deck with the faces towards the spectator, they see a few of the bottom cards and a few of the top ones.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Why run, if you are not chased?

After you shuffle and cut the deck, also give it a good in the hands false riffle shuffle if you can, the spectators will suspect nothing. If you now start by saying "there is nothing fishy here", people will suspect that you are trying to hide something.

I always start my perfomance with a number of false shuffles, it never failed.
Cards never lie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
I kinda of agree with you Andy but like as been said convincers are always more convincing when they're perceived as accidental.

Tommy
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

True, and it really depends on the context of the trick.

For a trick where four indifferent cards magically change into aces, after the shuffle, you might need to proof that the cards are in fact indifferent. However, it is rather easy, because you have just shuffled the deck.

PS - in this case, I personally would p**m the aces and let the spectator do the shuffling for me.
Cards never lie
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Like Andy suggests, there's a time for convincers and times when it's not needed.
Probably something that should be considered when routining.
In my opinion there's too much overproving nowadays.

However, Tommy asked and hopfully received some food for thought.
sumit
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of sumit
This is not the answer to your original question - which was HOW does one do this?

But, before we ever get there (or if we ever do) - why do you need to do that? There is absolutely no need to do anything convincing - why did you shuffle in the first place? To show the spectators that the deck is shuffled. So it is - done.

We have this guilt feeling because we did something sneaky and we want to do convincers to satisfy or negate that internal feeling. Don't do anything - shuffle should have accomplished everything that was needed.

You probably won't agree easily, but really consider this seriously and then whatever you decide is good enough with me. My two cents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Nothing of significance. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL