The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bongo Hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
reikiman
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of reikiman
I have heard a lot about this item. What is the effect and is there a particular routine that should be recommended?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Bongo hat is a commercial version of Lu Brent's Growing Hat. You begin with a small folded paper hat, try it on a kid's head and discover that it is too small, so you unfold it and change it into a bigger hat (also changing the color of the hat at the same time). You ask the audience if the hat should be bigger, and being the clever kids performer that you are, they will all agree that "bigger is better." You keep increasing the size of the hat and each time it gets bigger, it also changes color. Finally you have a hat that almost completely covers the child helper. You turn him around and on the front of the hat is a large "monster" face (in the Ali Bongo version). That's the effect in a nutshell. My own version of the Growing Hat (The Wizards' Journal #8 - A Hat for All Seasons - on my site) teaches you how to make your own hat and it includes a second ending with one more hat you can unfold. Also, because you make it yourself, you can choose your own colors for all the hats, and change the Monster face into Santa Claus or a Pumpkin, or whatever you wish. The double ending allows you to have (for example) a frog face, which when "kissed" turns into a king (or into Shrek - which is popular just now).

To learn the best routine for presenting ANY form of growing hat, Bongo's version or mine, check out "The Wit and Wisdom" book by a certain person who cannot be named here on this forum. You'll find a link to the book on my site, as well.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I use it in almost every children's show !

It isn't really a routine, its a bit-of-business, like breakaway wands.
But it does last a few minutes and gets lots of laughs, and is often photogrophed.
It doesn't work for some magicians though; I'm not sure why.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I use the bongo hat routine from that book in every show. It is a GREAT routine! There is a picture of me performing it around here somewhere....I'll have to look.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
David Ginn has a funny routine called "The Troll Hunt" by Gale Alexander in his book "Kidbiz" that uses the Bongo Hat.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I seem to have known Ali Bongo for a very long time - over forty years and his Bongo Hat for almost as long.

Here it is, being discussed as if it was new. That tells you something about it. As Eddie says, it doesn't work for everyone but that is true of every magical effect you can name.

We all have effects we consider cast iron and then up pops someone really good who can get nothing out of your particular dead certs. What works for one does not always work for another. 'Twas ever thus.

What makes a dead cert is partly the effect but also the way you handle and present it. The Wit & Wisdom routine needs to be read and it may well give you another angle on this excellent children's item. The Letter, Wallman Business and lots more in there.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2431 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
When I used it, I got a good response using it as a comedy prop along the lines of how you'd use a breakaway wand.

That is, I'd give the hat one extra fold, to set it up (needed that extra-small size). Then I'd tell the volunteer that he needed a magic hat, and set the Bongo hat on his head, and I'd start to turn away as though everything was OK. Of course, it would fall off, and I'd say "sorry, you need a bigger size". Of course, the larger size fell off as well. As the size got bigger, I'd (seemingly inadvertently) knock the hat off when I turned away. The next-to-last phase, the audience thinks that the joke is that the hat is now too big - And of course then there was the final surprise.

Got a lot of laughs, but very young kids were a bit frightened of having things put on/over their head.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For those using it as a prop alone do look into the Bongo Hat routine. It works well, the kids love it, and it fills a few minutes of precioius time with laughter.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-05-24 09:12, flimnar wrote:
David Ginn has a funny routine called "The Troll Hunt" by Gale Alexander in his book "Kidbiz" that uses the Bongo Hat.

Flimnar

Yes, Indeed.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I know that there are several 'ready made' hats on the market. who has the nicest hat that will hold up with use?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
For durability, use a hat made of Tyvec "paper." I sell blank white Tyvec hats at The Nook, but you have to paint them yourself, unless you're performing this for the Klan. Directions come with the hats for painting them with acrylic paints in the colors and designs of your choice. Naturally, it's less expensive than a ready made hat already printed and colored.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Spellbinder,

That's hilarious!!! Try it in all white at your next local magic club meeting. Then stay away from anyone that asks where you got it.

Derrick
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thanks Spellbinder. Knowing myself, if I get something that I have to work on, it will sit forever and never get done. By the way, do you have a shop in NJ or do you sell only on line?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Spellbinder
It is good to see you posting more often. I do the "letter", and I just ordered your Tyvec hat, so the "Bongo Hat" is next for me.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I don't bother with the whole knocking the hat off bit.

I put the hat on the kid, tell them its too small. And shall I make it bigger, I make it bigger and they keep shouting "make it bigger!!!" and theres lots by play between each time I make it bigger. I then get it till the biggest I got " Woooaahhh! that's giant! I can't make it any bigger! that's big enough for a giant!" as I turn it round I scream and let the kid carry on helping with the rest of the trick with the giant face as I get him to do scary arms and scary noises and that kind of thing.

Its a brilliant prop. I'm glad not everyone is using it.

M:C
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 15:43, jakeg wrote:
Thanks Spellbinder. Knowing myself, if I get something that I have to work on, it will sit forever and never get done. By the way, do you have a shop in NJ or do you sell only on line?

I don't have a shop, I have a "clutter," so my business is strictly on line. Thanks for asking.
Professor Spellbinder

Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Maybe I need to see some good magicians performing it, but everytime I have seen it performed (usually by the guy who buys a lot of props and just does them without real routines) it has been less than favourable in audience reactions. Because of this I really don't see the point of the prop as it often leaves me wondering when the surprise will come and it never does.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I plan to use the hat like a poor man's giant wand. Nothing happens because the assistant needs a bigger magic hat. When he finally gets one that's big enough, the trick completes.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 15:43, jakeg wrote:

My dear fellow, I an absolutely astonished at this post of yours.

"if I get something that I have to work on, it will sit forever and never get done."

You can't mean that. Working on something is how a pro transforms the bog standard into something personal. That's the bread and meat of the business.

Tell me it was just a jest. It's the performer's very foundation.

If you're not different, you're nothing.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Tony: Building your own equipment does not make you different from another performer doing the same routine with an off the shelf prop. Because you build a red prop instead of using a blue one off the shelf does not make the routine yours.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bongo Hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL