The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bongo Hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I wish there was a "Bongo Hat" performance video, because I am new at this one. I have Spelbinders hat, I have Mark's book, and a demo would be the perfect thing to set me off in the right direction. How long should this routine play? What age group does it work the best with?

Now before anyone brings this up let me say that everything I do I do my way, so seeing someone elses interpertation of this one will only inspire me to do my own thing with it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I think I remember Ken Scott using one in his "Making The Birthday Dough" video. Or maybe it was B. J. Hickman. But I thought it was done on one of the children's magic videos. I ended up giving mine to one of my fellow entertainers because the picture of the giant was too scary for my young audiences. I love the hat, but wasn't enamored of the artwork. The idea of a blank one a-la Spellbinder that you can customize is a nice idea.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Jake - you're wrong. Sorry.

Making something or having it made and handling and presenting it in your own way does make the effect your own. It becomes yours.

Because until any effect has gone through this presentational transformation it cannot become your own. And until it does it's someone else's and you are merely copying.

So whether it's a classic or anything else, work on your own presentation till it fits you like a glove and it will assist if you do have it made to measure or you personalise it in some way to make it different.

As I said before, individuality is the bread and the meat of the business - the performer's very foundation.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Tony, I agree 100% about what you said about presentation. I was trying to point out, (obviously not too successfully), that it's the routine and the presentation that makes it yours, not the prop. It is not necessary to make your own rings to develop a unique ring routine.
Just as a side, and not as part of this discussion: I'd like to hear about your Punch & Judy show. I've been fascinated by P&J ever since I first saw them presented at the Barnum & Bailey Circus side show when I was 10 or 11 years old. I worked P&J at shopping malls ,(primarily), during the 60's. I always felt that it was more than just a show, it was like part of history being preserved. Very few people here have ever seen it, and probably most of the younger generation doesn't even know what it is. By the way, I could never get the hang of the swazzle so that I could be understood. Incidentally, the show always got a good turn out.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Sorry Jake - I had misunderstood you. Obviously we're in agreement.

Punch is a weird thing. Over the centuries it's had moments of intense popularity followed by periods of decline, only to spring back again when least expected.

I dare not think how many sets of Punch figures are out there, mostly I suspect little used and perhaps many not used at all. It's a hard show to take out especially if you try and do what I do - go out on a Tuesday (normally) and return on a Sunday having progressed from one show to the next around the country.

Actually doing the show itself is the easy bit!

Happy to talk Punch but perhaps better in a PM. Don't wish to bore everyone here.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Jonty the Magician
View Profile
New user
West Yorkshire UK
73 Posts

Profile of Jonty the Magician
Hi all. I just bought Bongo's Hat off ebay. It looks great. Thing is it came with no instructions, which is not a problem as far as the routine is concerned, but is a major problem for folding the bloomin' thing up again afterwards! It's like one of those chinese puzzles, it'll take me a week to figure it out. And I haven't even used it yet, I just unfolded it to see what it looked like! Arrggh. Can anyone please help?

Jon
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1606 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
There is a fantastic routine by Mark Lewis in his book (The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Lewis).
That routine is a reputation maker.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You'll find instructuions for folding as well as a tiny model hat template you can print out and practice with in The Wizards' Journal # 8 under the title "A Hat for All Seasons" on my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I agree wholeheartedly with tricky Ricky on the routine he mentions. I actually said that in my original post in this thread but it disappeared (as if by magic! Smile ).

Here is a pic of me performing Mark's routine about 4 years ago at a school show. IT IS GREAT!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Here's the description at the Madhatter Magic Shop website:

A super kid-show bit of business. 1. You show a BLUE hat, which you place on your young helper's head. 2. Oops, it's too small ... so you expand it into a bigger GREEN hat. 3. No, still too small ... so you make it into an even bigger RED hat. 4. Not big enough, so you expand it into a bigger POLKA DOT hat. 5. You do it again, and turn it into a GIANT STRIPED hat! 6. Turn the striped hat around, there's a really funny Giant's Face on the other side! Silk screened on a special bookbinder's material, made from plastic and very strong -- use it over and over again.

This bit of business has been in my magic bag for over 30 years. Folds flat, plays big, always gets laughs.

:magicrabbit:
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
To me, the great advantage of The Mark Lewis routine over the one that Pradell mentions, is that the hat does not go on the child's head. It goes on the performer's head. Much funnier that way, and you need have no concerns about head lice!
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mr. Riddle, sire, I must correct you. The Mark Lewis routine does put the hat on the kids head. I wouldn't worry about head lice though. Most parents kill 'em off right away and it isn't likely going to be an issue. I want to second, or third, the Mark Lewis routine, it is brilliant for children because it takes advantage of what makes kids giggle like lil' demons. It can be found in The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Lewis...I, of course, copied it from a post Mark made that had the routine on it prior to him removing it because people, like me, hijacked it. If you do a search on Mark Lewis magic you should be able to find a link to buy the ebook.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I just went down and found the printed pdf. Even if you don't do the Bongo hat, there's priceless bits that can be used in other routines. I think I'll re-read the book again tonight...

Ken
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I must have a different copy of Mr. Lewis's routine. In my book, the hat goes on the performer's head! Is it possible there are two versions of the routine? One for the British, and one for Americans?
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
KEn,

GREAT POINT!!!! Classic bits that will work anywhere.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Could be Lord Riddle, could be..... No where in the North American version do they say "pip pip" and I'm sure that is a main component of the British.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
More lice in the British Isles?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
Andy..........the British Isles is RIDDLED with them. Hence my surname!

Chelsea, UK
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The confusion is coming from the way Mark begins by putting the hat on his own head first, and later on in the routine puts it on the kid's head. So you are both right, and you are both wrong. As punishment, you should both go back and read Mark's routine again. The one you'll find in The Wit and Wisdom book is best, because I proofread and edited it myself (ahem!). In any case, we are agreed that his routine is great, but for the person asking how to fold the hat to begin with (having unfolded it by accident before he had time to study it) you should go to The Wizards' Journal #8, "A Hat For All Seasons" and make a small model as described in order to learn how the folds are made.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I am interested that in that wonderful picture of Danny Hustle performing the Bongo hat, he has the hat on his head lengthways rather than widthways. I have always put it on my head widthways, so it is more like a pirate hat than a Robin Hood hat. I cannot recall which way round Mr. Lewis suggests in Wit and Wisdom.....not that it matters really. I personally find having it widthways is more harmonious with the audience. Others may not agree. Spellbinder's white hat could work rather well if the white was treated as condusive to black art a la Omar Pasha!

http://www.magicomarpasha.com/

Chelsea, UK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bongo Hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL