The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bongo Hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I wear it like that to start the show but turn it sideways when I put it on the kid, as it is more visual. There is a gag there (no I won't share it) that I came up with and that is the reason it is on that way. It is only that way for a moment, that is just when the teacher happened to take the picture.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I understand that ML is writing another book shortly to be released, with a forward by a celebrity of some note in the world of magic. Does anyone have further information on this? I understand it will be a hard cover book.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12055 Posts

Profile of John C
In my copy the hat goes on both the urchins and the performer's head ... not at the same time.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I never said he didn't put it on his own head thus...unlike Mr. Riddle, Duke of Middleshire, I am not incorrect....
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
The bongo hat is great, and I also have the multible change hat too Smile
it changes into about 5 different hats Smile
you can also hide things in it for productions, as your changing hats Smile
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"The confusion is coming from the way Mark begins by putting the hat on his own head first, and later on in the routine puts it on the kid's head"

It seems to me that none of us are fully correct on this. I have briefly reread the routine, and it seems that Professor Spellbinder is getting very warm. However, he does not win the lottery. It appears that in the Lewis version of the routine, the hat does go briefly on the child's head, BEFORE it goes on the performer's head...........where it remains in different sizes at various points throughout the routine. I think I am probably the closest in my original assumption that it is mainly on the performer's head. I think Magic Santa is probably the least accurate, as he implies it only ever goes on the child's head. He then backs down on this when he realises he is losing the battle.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mr. Riddle I must correct you again much as my fore fathers corrected your in both the American Revolution and the War of 1812. I merely said the hat goes onto the kids head and never made any statement as to how long it was there or that it was only on the childs head. It does go on the kids head which contradicts your inaccurate statement that it doesn't go onto the head of the kid at all. Thus I am correct, you are wrong, and folks can verify this by getting a down load of The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Lewis and read the routine.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I am really starting to think that there could be two or more versions of "wit and wisdom". I know very little about the American Revolution, as there are many more important things taught in British History like the burning of the cakes by King Alfred. All I know is that I understand you wanted independence from the British, because King George(a distant relation of mine)taxed you excessively. What is interesting these days is that I understand you pay more taxes in the USA than you do on this side of the pond.

Back to the Bongo hat! I notice this excellent thread was started by someone called Reikeman. It says his profile is unavailable. Does anyone know why? Lord Riddle( an undeserved title given me by Magic Santa, but accepted gratefully! )

Chelsea, UK
Delores Riddle
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Delores Riddle
I think Mr. Santa was being rather vicious, my dear! All in good jest of course!
The Bongo Hat has been the curse of my existence today..while my good husband is here gesticulating about the "this and that's" of a paper hat he's had his wife scouring every "corner of the cottage" looking for this bit of "theatre finery" as it were...SCANDALOUS!
And don't put it into his head any more about being a man of "title"...The Blessed Mother knows Tom's been going on about that for years!
Delores
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I apologize if I hurt ye Lady Riddle. Twas not my intention to question the Lordship and all that limey stuff.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
Hopefully this will help, Magic Santa:
One day, when George III was insane, he heard that the Americans never had afternoon tea. This made him very obstinate, so he invited them all to a compulsory tea party at Boston. The Americans, however, started by pouring the tea into Boston Harbour and went on pouring things into Boston Harbour until they were quite independent, thus causing the United States. These were also partly caused by Dick Washington, who defeated the English at Bunker’s Hill.

The war with the Americans is memorable as being the only war in which the English were ever defeated, and it was unfair because the Americans had the Allies on their side. In some ways the war was really a draw, since England remained top nation, had the Allies afterwards, while the Americans in memory of George 111's madness still refuse to drink tea and go on pouring anything the English send them to drink into Boston Harbour. I understand that Danny Hustle was recently seen emptying the liquid from a Multum in Parvo into these waters in the dead of night

After this, the Americans made Washington President, and gave up speaking English and became USA and Columbia and 100% and "Have a nice day" etc! This was a good thing in the end. It was a cause of the British Empire, but it prevented America from having any more history!

What has this to do with the Bongo Hat? Ali Bongo was born in India when it was still part of the great British Empire!

Chelsea, UK
Jonty the Magician
View Profile
New user
West Yorkshire UK
73 Posts

Profile of Jonty the Magician
Wow, what a digression! Interesting nonetheless. Thanks Spellbinder, I shall look up those refolding instructions, then hopefully I can look forward to all the fun and frivolity that Magic Santa and Tom Riddle suggest goes with this effect! Smile

Jon
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever, actually, seen Ali Bongo performing this effect himself. It would be interesting to hear how he presents it. Is he a member of this forum? Many years ago, Ali ran the Magic Department at Hamley's toy shop in Regent Street. I wonder if he used to sell the Bongo Hat over the counter.

Chelsea, UK
cheekychap
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of cheekychap
His real name is :-
William Wallace and Hes Vice President of the Magic Circle Smile
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Also, do not overlook "The Letter" in the e-book, I did it at our IBM ring meeting the other night with great results.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"The Letter" is great, even with the recent rise in the cost of postage!

Chelsea, UK
richards
View Profile
New user
Brian Richards
82 Posts

Profile of richards
I love the Bongo Hat and it has always been in my show. I have a special bond with it, as I am the nephew of the late great Lu Brent (Boleslaw Lubrant). I do it in my act privately as a tribute to him. But, I would do it anyway, as it always gets the greatest reactions from my audiences. It is a comedy prop and, like most comedy props, it is something you use to make a magical routine even more fun!

If you are a magician in New Jersey or Philadelphia, don't use it. It is bad. You will regret it. (Just kidding!)

All the best!
Brian Richards
http://www.BRMagic.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I haven't read all these posts because they were far too full of words (that doesn't help my reading) but I thoght I might mention that the best words for this prop where probably written by ML (AKA HESNBM). And they where quite funny.

The other thing I thought I might say was that we saw the original version of the BH last kidology and we all wet ourselves because folded paper is so exciting.

G
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
George....I am in total agreement with you about HESNBM.

Chelsea, UK
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-12-26 22:55, richards wrote:
I love the Bongo Hat and it has always been in my show. I have a special bond with it, as I am the nephew of the late great Lu Brent (Boleslaw Lubrant).

Brian: Your post spurred me on to finish my brief biography of your uncle and post it on-line in my Brief Biographies of Magic Inventors:

http://www.magicnook.com/forum/bioAB.htm and scroll down to Brent, Lu

Please check it over and e-mail me ( magicnook@yahoo.com ) if there are any errors, omissions, or additions that should be made. Also, if you have a better photo, I'd appreciate a copy to use with the bio.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bongo Hat (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL