The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zimmerman Base. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Hello ladies and gents. I'm working on a new illusion, and curious if anyone knows the history behind Mr. Zimmerman and the Zimmernam base, its evolutions and modern uses. I'm familiar with the base used in a Copperfield special, called "After the Show" or "Cloth Vanish." A modern base with a smaller stool type base on top of that. It's really the only one I'm familliar with. I'm working on a skewed idea, and wondering what the history is, who's using it, etc.

Thanks in advance guys....
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Simply: take a crystal casket base and add a second level to it, upon which the appearance happens. Doug Hennings' "Fire Dome", "Flambe", Copperfield used it several times. Girl appeared in a crystal box, a photo came to life. Many others...

Had a long chat with Dick here in Montreal several years ago (watching the last big California quake on giant screen) and he was quite disappointed with the number of persons who have appropriated the idea without buying the rights. Even a well published author of illusion plans makes liberal use of Dick's idea, making it seem as though it is in public domain.

To my knowledge Dick still sells the plans, with the rights to use it.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
How might I get in contact with Dick Zimmerman?

Mike
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Mike, I know he advertises in Genii, but I am sure you can find him in a dealers' listing, or in All Magic Guide.

Blair Marshall
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Just got off the phone with Dick. VERY VERY VERY nice guy. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Glad you spoke with Dick. To bring closure, is he still selling the plans and rights???
At what price? Would be interested in hearing.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
The rights still indeed are available and at around 500 bucks. Comes with rights, manual and thoughts on the many ways it can be performed.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Thanks guy!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
There is a Zimmerman base along with some extras which also includes the performance rights for sale at..

http://www.magicauction.com
RichTom
View Profile
New user
Santa Monica, CA
17 Posts

Profile of RichTom
I always thought that the Henning Fire Dome version of this was great!!
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I learned something with this thread. I have seen the "Zimmerman" base used so many times I wrongly assumed it was in public domain.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
If you want to get in contact Dick Zimmerman, let me know. I can get a message to him. He's a personal friend of ours. I can call him.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Thornside, people on this thread already have contacted Dick (see above), and he is listed as a dealer elsewhere.

Say "Hi!" to him for me.

Thanks.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Got ahold of him. Thanks anyway. Heck of a nice guy.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Dick is really creative, he has developed many illusions.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

P.S. Now with the internet, it is hard to see how anyone cannot check to see whether an illusion, or name is up for grabs. "ShaZzam!" as a show name has been in continuous use for nearly 35 years, yet one illusionist has dropped one "Z" and used the name. Another "contractor" used the unique 2 "Z" spelling and similar styling for a show he produced. Therefore they did not copy the comic book "Shazam" ( which may be copyrighted) but used the John Daniel (magic show version). A name purchased by Lee Edwards and then sold to me.

Why I went into this is to explain my interest in what people consider available to use, ie. public domain. If the magic fraternity can accept the claim of the Pendragons' handling of the sub trunk cloth as being unique and their property, how can you not accept a name or prinicple being the same??

You use either at your own risk. While litigation may not be there, it would certain lessen you in the eyes of your peers.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Noticed later. It's cool. Planning to get together with them soon.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Since this seems to be a thread about the base and Dick. Anyone out there know of other illusions he has been involved with, Lance uses his Gramaphone illusion (originally in Dianas' record act). What else is around that he can be credited for??

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zimmerman Base. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL