The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just got my first round of effects/gimmicks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
OK....I just made a bit of an investment in a few basic effects/gimmicks. Not a whole lot. Just enough to get me going on some basic day to day stuff. I got a standard TT, a 9" silk for it, a book of routines for it, a universal pull, a set of super soft 2" sponge balls, a Johnson S/S, and a dime/penny version of the same thing. I was gonna get a 'c' type nail writer, but I ran out of $$ in my Paypal. I'll get that next time I have a few extra bucks. Now I have to wait. I have a feeling that's gonna be the hard part. Good thing I have a deck of cards.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Scot,

Good purchases there, sir. You can perform hours on top of hours of magic with those supplies. I love to see guys making these kind of great purchases right off the bat, instead of being tempted to the ways of some of the overpriced single effects that are out there.

Best of luck!
-Dustin
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Sounds like a good beginning, lots you can do with those items.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Scot,

With toys like that you can work for hours!

You can make a living with a TT and sponge balls.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
pghdude80
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
72 Posts

Profile of pghdude80
Scot,

Glad to hear you went with the Johnson S/S. It is, IMO, the best one on the market.

Hope you enjoy your tricks.

J
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...great stuff.

Keep Johnson's in mind for when you get other coin effects. They're the best!

Mark.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Scot,

Very wise first purchases. Congrats. If only everyone could resist the other temptations on offer at the shops...
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 21:40, pghdude80 wrote:
Scot,

Glad to hear you went with the Johnson S/S. It is, IMO, the best one on the market.

J

Hearing that makes me feel better about the price tag. It was significantly more expensive than the other ones I saw, but I have heard that it is the best, and the very fact that it is the only one that is specified by its brand name online tells me that as well. And it comes with a bang ring included, so that helps a bit too. For now, I'm gonna have to use a glass and elbow grease for the dime/penny set. When it all comes in.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
I like the quality of johnson products. I use silver coins and they make their products using walkig liberty halves. I also love my Larson coins. They are more expensive but the quality is great.

What you have purchased will give you hours of stuff to work on.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
With your TT, and I note you've got a book of routines, don't limit yourself to vanishing the hanky - do go for salt or sugar vanishes, bill switches etc. The rare occassions that you may get challenged is by people who remember the TT from a kids magic set & its a silk that you vanish. Yet if you vanish salt - it flies past them.
You've made some great choices/purchases BTW. Well done. As for your playing cards - my advice is to not go crazy on sleights. Stick to a card control you can do, a f**ce you're happy with, a DL and a glide and your away with dozens of good card tricks alone.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Strangelittleman
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney Aus
184 Posts

Profile of Strangelittleman
I second everything Smiles says about the cards (infact that's pretty much all the sleights I use on a night lol). The TT is going to get you some great mileage and the sponge balls definetly go over well with crowds so great first up purchases Smile
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
I cant even believe it came in so quickly, (I only ordered it Friday afternoon. It's Tuesday today and the Mail didn't run yesterday) but the Johnson S/S came in today. I'm in shock at how "clean" it is. Hard to believe that something can be that convincing. I'm gonna have fun with this. Now I just have to figure out how to transport it unlocked.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Great! Johnson makes great stuff. I don't know how to advise you on transporting unlocked, as I use a m******c one and unlock it with a certain type of ring.

Best of luck!

-Dustin
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Johnson products are fantastic, I agree. Sasco are also very good manufacturers.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1468 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
You have made some great purchases. If you follow the advice given at the Café you will learn some stuff that is so hard to find out anywhere else.
I wish that I had a resource such as this when I was starting out, not only would I have had access to all this but it would have saved me a great deal of money. I would not have bought things that are "not me" and I would never have bought things twice because I got the C&N one first.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You can buy a bang ring for your dime & penny for just a few bucks. I bought one last year and never looked back. Much, much easier. You can reset secretly in your pocket with it.

I can't remember where I got mine, which seems to be steel. A brass one is $6 at Hank Lee's:
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2287

Here's one that looks like mine for $3 plus about $3 shipping on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/225web
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
How do you reset in your pocket? I sure couldn't do that with my s/s.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
You might take a look at Staples for a "zip" pen while your waiting to purchase a "c" nail writer. With a little flesh tone paint and steal to your pocket for the pad you can pratice a reading act. There was a pro version for a while don't recall the name.
John
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 10:02, JohnWolf wrote:
You might take a look at Staples for a "zip" pen while your waiting to purchase a "c" nail writer. With a little flesh tone paint and steal to your pocket for the pad you can pratice a reading act. There was a pro version for a while don't recall the name.
John

Thanks for that advice. I believe I'll take it.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
17 years after purchasing a Johnson S/S and using it for literally thousands of routines including 4 straight years of working it 5 nights per week in a restaurant, it's like brand new! I dip it in a jewelry cleaning solution every couple of years and it looks and feels like the day I got it. I've tightened it for certain effects, loosened it for others, lost it, found it again and outright abused it for ages. Just a super quality piece.
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just got my first round of effects/gimmicks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL