The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz Greek Poker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
I've been working on Greek Poker for quite some time, but I'm unable to master his riffle stacking, where he stacks the aces for himself in two riffle shuffles. I've read Roberto Giobbi's tutorial on riffle stacking in Card College, but still, I struggle with it. Any advice on the technical aspects of riffle stacking, and how to practice, etc?

Thanks
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Just practice I'm afraid.

You'll have to experiment with various hand positions (I prefer to stack with my index finer curled on top, but I know that Darwin stacks with all his fingers straight on the backs) and learn to hold back the necessary cards. This is actually not so difficult. The hard part is getting a good even tempo.

I can't recall any sources that teach HOW to stack, only sources that lay out different combinations of stacking (such as 3 shuffles to stack a hold-em hand in a ten player game, how to stack a double duke for a three player game, etc).

I wish you luck!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
This might sound patronizing but its much easier once you have learnt to riffle a deck in the proper manner. See Erdnase who explains it better than anyone. Watch the way guys like Dave Malek shuffle for example. If you practice the Erdnase riffle shuffle peek IMHO that helps to give the feel and position the hands should be in. You have to start with a good foundation so to speak. It does take a lot of practice. It sounds like your jumping in at the deep end trying to stack four like Ortiz, try stacking one first.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1563 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I do it in 3 shuffles. It's much easier that way, you don't have to hold back as many cards.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
It is easier in 3 shuffles.

Tommy's suggestion is great- start by stacking ONE card. Follow it up with Stacking 2 cards for a 5 handed game. Experiment with stacking 2 cards for 3-6 player games.

Then work your way up.

Peace!

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Evikshin,

I have a feeling the riffle stacking in Greek Poker is one reason why I have avoided learning this effect. Its the same requirement for Fast Shuffle which I have had to modify in order to avoid the dreaded two shuffle situation. Three shuffles does simplify matters a little. Four shuffles would potentially harm pace but you could always fill the time with some interesting patter. I have found that practicing free drop riffle shuffles is helped by using the Bicycle Master deck. The extra thickness seems to aid accuracy but this might just be me. The bottom line this that all riffle stacking takes a great deal of practice in order to acquire the degree of accuracy that will withstand a performance. Good luck.

Regards,

Paul H
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17290 Posts

Profile of joseph
It's on At the Card Table, and I think he does the shuffles without
looking at the cards.... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
If you are using site to stack you will never get it up to performance speed.

It has to be by touch. You have to just KNOW, let a sixth sense, that you are dropping five and three, otherwise the shuffling pace will be too slow.

C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
A good way to practice "the sixth sense" is to have one card face up with the rest of the deck face down. Then stack that card to how ever many players are playing (4) once you are able to do one with out looking, turn 2 face up an proceed to stack them so they fall every 5, this way its easier to see how you progress IMO. And so on. This is just one way I built up my proficiency. It takes time. Also start holding blocks of 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12 So you can get the feel of what your looking for - start bigger an work lower its easier. I don't need to hold back much more than that. It will depend on what your going for in the end.
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
There's no such thing as a sixth sense. Or at least, a sixth sense is not yet known. This falls under "touch," one of the five senses.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Not looking at the deck while riffle stacking is the ideal and I think Stacked makes some interesting suggestions about how to improve. However, it is not absolutely neccessary for all gambling routines in my opinion. I seem to remember in 'Scams and Phantasies' that even Darwin Ortiz suggests that the odd glance or two can't really hurt. Martin Nash, in the Beyond part of his 'Infinity and Beyond' DVD actually recommends eyeballing the cards during riffle stacking in one of his gambling routines. One important reason for not looking has to do with engaging the audience. They will tend to follow your gaze and if you are rivited on the deck for any length of time, they will be as well. If you can riffle stack fairly briskly and accurately helped by looking at the deck then I think its possible to get away with it. There is some leaway here because looking while shuffling is what people normally do at the card table. But it has to be quick. In the world of the hustler, its often a bad idea not to look while riffling as this can tip off a skillful handlng of the cards. On reflection, I think the underlying issue here is whether combining touch with looking slows the riffle stacking compared with touch alone. I suspect this will be down to individual preference based on the method that produces the fastest and most accurate result.

Regards,

Paul H
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17290 Posts

Profile of joseph
So far when I do it, it looks more like Geek Poker... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz Greek Poker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL