The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Harrison's Connected DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Peter David Harrison
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Peter David Harrison
Fvdbeek, I am sorry then that we did not show the method, setup or handling for the effect in the trailer. And remember it was as trailer, not a demo. Next time I'll make sure to include how the effect is done in the trailer so you won't need to purchase the product. Sorry that I also tricked you into thinking it was real magic, I thought as a magician you may have realized this was sleight of hand and psychological techiques and not real wizadry.

The demo isn't correct? True. It's not a demo performance. It's a simple trailer which aims to show the quality of the product and also what the spectators see during the effect. You say you didn't miss anything but you clearly did as you are stating an effect does not work after hundreds of satisfied customers have been performing it for months now and many more here in Scotland for a few years. It works but it doesn't for you? I don't think that is a flaw on my behalf.

If this was a demo performance then I would agree with all your other points 100%.

P.H.
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
When I saw Connected's demo, I wasn't too impressed at all. However, I re-read the description several times, found a few reviews about the Connected PDF and decided to take a plunge. After getting the DVD, here's what I think. The trailer doesn't do the effect justice. The description of the effect is correct though.

The trailer is made that way is to prevent reverse engineering. fvdbeek, have you tried the actual routine with a strong presentation? Connected is many steps ahead of the spectator, even if he suspects a part of the method, he'll be blown away by the rest of it. Peter even goes into detail about the spectator's psychology, everything is covered so well that I had absolutely zero questions about the effect at all.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
To answer the question of Jlowhy: no; I haven't performed it and I won't. I'm not convinced and I don't believe in it. Because the whole routine has one big drawback and that is the question: Do you have a wallet ? That doesn't make sense ! The logical and only answer the spectator can give you is: Of course I have a wallet ! You know it, you saw it and even touched it a few moments ago. What happened to your shortterm memory ?

You ask the question to make it all look impromptu and ad-hoc, but in my opinion the spectator knows you're playing the fool.
It may be true that thousands bought this product and loved it, I don't believe in the argument of large numbers.

Frans
Peter David Harrison
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
52 Posts

Fvdbeen,

If you're happy to not perform it then that's fine but PM if you would like to give it another go. You are missing some very important points in the product and I'd be happy to point them out to you. You seem to understand the mechanics but you've totally missed a lot of how the effect works. Get in touch, I'm here to help!

P.H.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
I purchased the PDF and am unimpressed. fvdbeek is correct, this seems more of a "made for YouTube" type of effect rather than one I'd perform on a regular basis. I once saw a Card to Bra video, and this reminds me a lot of that actual method, even the time delay present.

Any spectators that stumble upon the performance during part 2 will be impressed, but not the ones present the entire time. "Do you have a wallet?" question made me laugh out loud.

And plus "You don't actually have to touch the spectator's wallet" is simply untrue. You're handling the wallet, and even a mentally challenged spectator will remember that portion of your effect.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
If your biggest concern is the line, "Do you have a wallet?" and you don't think it would work for you, then don't use it. This effect would still be quite stunning without it.

There's a lot going on here and even if the spectator suspected you did something earlier, they still wouldn't be able to reconstruct it. Too many things happen after the dirty work that appear extremely fair for them to do so.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Empty arguing here is meaningless. Best way to prove it is to try and perform it to a layman (after practice and follow all the instruction). See how he/she react and see if they noticed you 'touched' the wallet before.
Peter David Harrison
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
52 Posts

If you do not understand how the "question" works in the psychology of the effect then please PM me.

Thanks guys,

P.H.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Be happy with it, wise owl.

Frans
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
My question is, is this the same effect of Gregory Wilson and Garrett Thomas? Just asking 'cause I didn't buy Connected but it sure sounds like it. Greg asks to see your driving license then he switches it with his (with out you knowing of course)and he also slips in three pieces that are put together where the bills go.
Then blah blah blah
thanks for any feedback
Peter David Harrison
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
52 Posts

I've sent a PM to inidyls.

P.H.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Sent a PM to both Christopher Williams and Harrison. Maybe with a broader spectrum of ideas this effect will click, and I'll enjoy it.
takashi miike
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of takashi miike
It all comes back to my earlier coments folks.trust me I don't ********.
just look at the easy to master card series with the simple torn and restored card there,learn it (2 minutes) and you'll get more mileage than connected.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Uh, the ETMCM trick has the card appearing in YOUR wallet. That is a far cry from the spectator's wallet. I think you will get far more milage with the card appearing in a wallet that isn't your own.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
takashi miike
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of takashi miike
Yes but you have to handle it then say have you a wallet.(doh)
better to produce it from a girls pants !!!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

It's barely handled and not in a way that would be so easy to backtrack. Especially since the card is selected and torn AFTER the fact. Now I know you're rolling your eyes at this point but try to think about this from a lay person's perspective and not from a magician's POV.
KMan1564
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of KMan1564
Please just try it out before you criticize...
New Mentalism and eMagic Supply Exclusives
http://emagicsupply.com/126.html
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
It always strikes me here at the Café how easily people feel offended by critical remarks. Like all the effects on the market are superb, great and wonderfull.
And before you all start again with the same arguments: yes, I read the instructions, I saw the DVD, I understand the psychology behind it, etc. etc.
There are people who just don't like it !

Frans
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

I don't feel offended by critical remarks. But what's wrong with defending your position whether you like it or not? I like the effect. You don't. We each express our reasons.

I personally think there's a difference between criticizing a bad, poorly thought out effect and criticizing a good effect that you don't like for personal reasons. I read about tons of effects here on the Café which get raves that I couldn't see myself doing. I've even bought effects that, while very well constructed, in hindsight, just don't suit me. I tend not to comment on those effects. Why? Because they don't work for me personally so why bother saying anything about it?

Prohibition is a prime example. it's a great effect. I won't do it because it doesn't suit me.

Connected is a really good effect. It works for some. It may not work for others. But to criticize it as if it were an all around bad effect is not fair. It works for a lot of people. And Perer has obviously put a lot of time and thought into it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Connected by Peter Harrison
Medium: DVD
Arena: close up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Connected is a multiphase routine using cards. What you do is have a card signed and you sign a card. You ask the spectator for a personal item, and they take out their wallet where you place their card in full view. Magic move and the card you had is now in the wallet and you have their card in your hand….viola. You then have a card selected and it is torn up by the spectator and they keep the traditional corner as a receipt. The pieces of card vanish and are found in the specs wallet much to their surprise and not only are they found but the pieces are restored and the corner matches…viola.

In keeping with the ‘if you can’t explain it in one sentence’ rule here it goes. Two cards change places and a third not only appears in an impossible location but it has restored itself after being torn.

Let’s take a look at the production. Other than it could be a little bit better lit, and I think the darkness was for artistic reasons, the production is fine. The camera work is okay and the sound has no problems, even with the outdoor scenes. Peter, for some reason, wears a stocking cap through out, I guess this was for image. I think he should have taken it off as others were comfortable in short sleeves I don’t think it was stocking cap weather. The end result is half his face is in shadow. I do like the authorship of the DVD, the scenes are nicely set apart and the menu itself was functional, better than a lot of people put together. So get rid of the cap and use another light bulb and they would be gold. Good job though production people!

The DVD opens with Peter performing the routine twice. I’m not sure if it is part of his patter or if the specs he performed for are famous in the UK for one reason or another. I have no clue who they may be but he played it as if they were important. Could be footballers (I learned that watching BBC) or something of that ilk. Either way Peter performs the routines and does a fine job with it. He seems to go for the ‘street’ look but his delivery is quite a bit more polished than you find with the average street assassin or hallway hit man, who I think may be the target purchaser. The routine itself is pretty good if not real original in concept. The idea of doing a torn card then having it restored out of sight is an interesting amendment to the ‘card to impossible location’ theme. The use of the initial switching of the cards from the magicians hand to the specs wallet is a good idea in relation to the entire routine as well and I hand it to Peter for putting the routine together the way he did.

Peter and his sidekick (sorry, I didn’t catch the name) did an excellent job explaining the routine section by section. You can, using their menu, jump around to parts you have questions about. Peter is easily understood, I believe he may be a Scot but don’t get mad at me if he isn’t as I’m not an expert at knowing where someone is from in the UK, and he understood what he wanted to communicate. The sidekick asked the right questions and also was prepared. This may seem like a no brainer but I’ve seen DVDs where people seem to be winging it but that isn’t the case here. Peter also likes taking the path of least resistance when it comes to forces and no problem there. So far so good, production is pretty good, the routine presentations worked for me, the explanations done very well…..all in all something you card guys may want to consider if you can’t put things together for a routine and this would be a step up for a lot of the people new to card magic.

Here is my problem with the routine. People do not like others touching their wallets. I made a point of trying to touch wallets this past week and I watched performances where the spectator was to pull out their wallet and the wallet itself was never touched by the spec, as it is in this routine. In every case where the wallet was touched and even when the magician didn’t physically touch the wallet the wallet owner inspected their wallet. Every time. Perhaps in the UK they are more trusting but it sure wasn’t the case here. As much as I like the routine that part scares me, but since I really like the routine here is the fix. You have their wallet on the table, do your initial switch, but do NOT have them take the wallet back until the entire routine is done. If you give it back to them to put in their pocket and as is likely to happen they look in it the trick is blown. If it sits on the table or they put their hand on it you get the same end result w/out blowing the routine.

My other thought is more of an advanced version of this routine. How about you have the pieces found in the wallet and you do a visual restoration ala JC Wagner or something of that nature? Then the corner can match, viola, another dimension is added to the whole thing. You can even do a switch and have the restored card be the one with their signature! I just realized that I must have liked this routine if I’m brainstorming about it trying to make it fit my style. The basic routine as taught is fine though but consider the wallet back in the pocket vs the wallet on table based on what I’ve seen and the simple fact that the people filmed on the DVD knew they were part of the filming so they played along.

Good job and something to be considered if this sounds like a routine that would fit into your performances.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Harrison's Connected DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL