The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Harrison's Connected DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
parkjunyoung
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of parkjunyoung
Connected is best card routine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this routine.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
This made Go Magic Go's Hype of the Week this week. It has nothing to do with the effect. They explore how the sales pitch demo/trailer is entirely misleading. I agree with them. If I bought this after watching the demo/trailer I would have been disappointed with what I got.

Your video and ad copy make it seem like you never have to touch the wallet prior to doing connected, which is laughably incorrect. From reading above, I'm not the only one who thought this.

Again this in not about the effect, it is about shady advertising.

Check out what the GMG guys had to say:
http://cache.libsyn.com/thetrapdoor/GMG20070726.mp3

Segment is towards the end of the podcast.
DougNicols
View Profile
Special user
843 Posts

Profile of DougNicols
Some lines from the podcast:

Somewhat deceptive advertisement technique in the magic community, and also our attempt to squelch this trend before it begins.

Both the text and video describe a stand-alone effect where a torn card appears in a wallet that has not been seen before by the magician.

Now note the line... "Do you have a wallet?". It's included in both the text description, and the advertisement video. It clearly implies that the magician doesn't even know if the spectator has a wallet, up to that point in the effect.

THAT IS NOT THE CASE

In fact, what we're given as the product description doesn't even BEGIN until after another card transformation that uses the spectator's wallet.

It's dropping out a whole phase of the routine necessary to complete this effect, and this information is not included in the demo video. So we don't have anything to warn us in the video.

"Do you have a wallet?" is the chief offender in both the text and video description.

Use linguistic deception on your spectators, not on your customers.

All the magicians I described this to thought there must be some amazing technique to load a spectator's wallet without them knowing about it. Every single one was fooled by the text and video, "Do you have a wallet?". They were assuming this was the first time the magician came in contact with the wallet. Now we know that's not the case.
socter
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of socter
For me, however shady the advertisement is, it should be able to produce the reaction which was shown in the demo and it has. In the end, the spectator's perspective is the one that matters not the magician's. That is my opinion
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2007-05-27 05:29, Dave Forrest wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-27 04:56, takashi miike wrote:
Perhaps its because I spot methods easily as I have been performing magic for many years.


You haven't spotted the method at all. In nearly every effect where 'the corner matches' at the end, that corner has been switched. If you believe that what you see in the TRAILER (NOT demo!) constitutes the method of 'CONNECTED' then you are sorely mistaken.



On the big blind media website, I think you will find that your "trailer" is listed as a "demo".

Thus, I do not believe this is a valid argument.



Quote:
On 2007-06-18 02:47, Peter David Harrison wrote:
Fvdbeek, I am sorry then that we did not show the method, setup or handling for the effect in the trailer. And remember it was as trailer, not a demo. Next time I'll make sure to include how the effect is done in the trailer so you won't need to purchase the product. Sorry that I also tricked you into thinking it was real magic, I thought as a magician you may have realized this was sleight of hand and psychological techiques and not real wizadry.

The demo isn't correct? True. It's not a demo performance. It's a simple trailer which aims to show the quality of the product and also what the spectators see during the effect. You say you didn't miss anything but you clearly did as you are stating an effect does not work after hundreds of satisfied customers have been performing it for months now and many more here in Scotland for a few years. It works but it doesn't for you? I don't think that is a flaw on my behalf.

If this was a demo performance then I would agree with all your other points 100%.

P.H.


If its listed in most places as a demo performance, does that mean you agree that the product descriptions presented in these shops, including that of the publisher's own website, contains lies?
Peter David Harrison
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Peter David Harrison
I am unhappy with the stores that listed the trailer as a demo. I didn't have anything to do with the production of the trailer or what it is called on those sites. I liked the trailer when I saw it made because it made a great trailer. Here are the facts: the performance in the trailer hides nothing from the actual effect: Connected. What hasn't been mentioned as clearly (and would be seen from a demo) is that the effect is to be used as a closer to a routine of your own. Connected is a single effect, not a multiphase routine... but you are to add it to one of your routines!

It's cool that some people don't like the effect... or more commonly people like the effect but don't like the advertizing. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I do accept critical remarks.

People like Connected and other don't. That's cool with me, hopefully it's cool with all you guys.

Take it easy,

P.H.
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 05:06, Peter David Harrison wrote:
I am unhappy with the stores that listed the trailer as a demo. I didn't have anything to do with the production of the trailer or what it is called on those sites. I liked the trailer when I saw it made because it made a great trailer. Here are the facts: the performance in the trailer hides nothing from the actual effect: Connected. What hasn't been mentioned as clearly (and would be seen from a demo) is that the effect is to be used as a closer to a routine of your own. Connected is a single effect, not a multiphase routine... but you are to add it to one of your routines!

It's cool that some people don't like the effect... or more commonly people like the effect but don't like the advertizing. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and I do accept critical remarks.

People like Connected and other don't. That's cool with me, hopefully it's cool with all you guys.

Take it easy,

P.H.

... But the creators of the trailer, listed it as a demo.

Thus can we assume the creators of the 'trailer' don't know the difference between a 'trailer' and a 'demo', as you are suggesting there is a clear one?
socter
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of socter
Please guys do not blame Peter for this as he did not intentionally do it. Infact if you see some of his posts he frowns on self promotion. I doubt he would intentionally mislead us.
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
Thus can we assume the creators of the 'trailer' don't know the difference between a 'trailer' and a 'demo', as you are suggesting there is a clear one?


I created the trailer. And I do know the difference between a trailer and a demo because when I uploaded it I also uploaded the text 'Watch the 'Connected' trailer' and put it right next to the button. I also added an item to the drop down video menu - 'Connected Trailer'. And, in any promotional material that went out to the mailing list the video was refered to as a 'trailer'.

Bottom line, it was refered to in more places as a trailer than it wasn't. In fact the only place you could argue that it was refered to as a 'demo' (that was within our power to do anything about)would be on the little generic website button next to the text 'Watch the 'Connected' trailer' where, hands up, it did in fact say 'Video Demo' - my bad!

Maybe its just me but I think the whole "the button says 'demo'" argument is just splitting hairs. I mean, is it too much to expect that having watched the clip, the average person may have said to themselves: "Oh, OK it's not a 'demo' like the button says, it's more of a 'trailer' like it says everywhere else." Obviously not.

Either way, the website buttons have all now been changed to say 'View Video'. Hopefully this will protect everyone in the future from the lying, cheating corporate machine that is Big Blind Media! Smile

Dave.
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 06:39, Dave Forrest wrote:
Quote:
Thus can we assume the creators of the 'trailer' don't know the difference between a 'trailer' and a 'demo', as you are suggesting there is a clear one?


I created the trailer. And I do know the difference between a trailer and a demo because when I uploaded it I also uploaded the text 'Watch the 'Connected' trailer' and put it right next to the button. I also added an item to the drop down video menu - 'Connected Trailer'. And, in any promotional material that went out to the mailing list the video was refered to as a 'trailer'.

Bottom line, it was refered to in more places as a trailer than it wasn't. In fact the only place you could argue that it was refered to as a 'demo' (that was within our power to do anything about)would be on the little generic website button next to the text 'Watch the 'Connected' trailer' where, hands up, it did in fact say 'Video Demo' - my bad!

Maybe its just me but I think the whole "the button says 'demo'" argument is just splitting hairs. I mean, is it too much to expect that having watched the clip, the average person may have said to themselves: "Oh, OK it's not a 'demo' like the button says, it's more of a 'trailer' like it says everywhere else." Obviously not.

Either way, the website buttons have all now been changed to say 'View Video'. Hopefully this will protect everyone in the future from the lying, cheating corporate machine that is Big Blind Media! Smile

Dave.

Thanks for clearing that up, it just seemed a bit hypocritical previously Smile
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 05:06, Peter David Harrison wrote:
Connected is a single effect, not a multiphase routine... but you are to add it to one of your routines!



I don't want to start something up, just curious as you said this...you can NOT do this, without a prior effect, therefore Connected is technically to Magicians, a multiphase routine, as you can't do one without the other, and I think this is why some people don't agree with the advertisement. The first effect is great, and really works to help the effect, so well done for that. But if you don't perform that routine, or if people who aren't creators don't know of another routine they can do to substitute your first routine, won't be able to use this. And I don't think, and I know you think, that these routines can't be performed one after the other, it needs the time delay. So I can understand what people are thinking as well
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
Trailer/video I don't think is the issue. Either you've done enough magic to realize that there is someting that occurs before the T/R effect which gets the card into the wallet and is not connected to the effect by the spectator, or you don't. (Putting you in my catagory where you hope that *this* time you are actually getting a working teleportation device for you $29.95.) (or whatever as I have no idea how much this thing costs)

I think if the "initial phase" was put on the demo/trailer (was it a demo of a trailer?) there pretty much wouldn't have been anything left to sell.

Maybe it would help to list it as a "Bonus effect"? Better still use what was suggested on GMG and bill it as a strong card routine that ends with a mind blowing....
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
312 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
I agree with you totally on it, I think with the price this is still a bargain and a great way to end your routine
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 02:08, mgshn wrote:
Trailer/video I don't think is the issue. Either you've done enough magic to realize that there is someting that occurs before the T/R effect which gets the card into the wallet and is not connected to the effect by the spectator, or you don't. (Putting you in my catagory where you hope that *this* time you are actually getting a working teleportation device for you $29.95.) (or whatever as I have no idea how much this thing costs)

I think if the "initial phase" was put on the demo/trailer (was it a demo of a trailer?) there pretty much wouldn't have been anything left to sell.

Maybe it would help to list it as a "Bonus effect"? Better still use what was suggested on GMG and bill it as a strong card routine that ends with a mind blowing....

Yeah. Teleportation device.

That or pickpocket and putpocket tuition, or a new technique along these lines, which albeit hard, wouldn't be out of the question... :l
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
The solution is simple . Drop the video and rewrite the ad copy to mention its a full routine.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Harrison's Connected DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL