The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Daily practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
546 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
I asked the same question on the coin magic section, could it be the cardsmen's working habits are different? I was wondering if there are any sleights you practice on a regular basis, should they belong or not to the routines you're presently working on ? Just curious...And eager to learn!
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17289 Posts

Profile of joseph
I usually practice fluorishes more than sleights..I guess it depends on
how you feel at the time...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
NiallTL
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of NiallTL
I often do a few flourishes, double lifts, one handed cuts, passes, colour changes - anything to get my hands warmed up. Though joseph is absolutely right when saying it depends on how you feel, and what you feel like doing.

Niall Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17289 Posts

Profile of joseph
Right....Sometimes I reach for my cards, and see some half dollars,
and grab them instead.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
546 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
May I ask you a good source for flourishes and one hand cuts? I LOVE these manipulations, but can't find books or dvd's dedicated to these techniques..
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
opay
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of opay
For flourish...

De'Vo Extreme Beginner

Dan and Dave the system

Daniel Madison Lethal

and go around mmmm... I decknique.net if I'm not wrong...

for practice, sometimes sleight, and then routine that you like or create some combo idea from amny trick and so on...

c you
best regards

=payz=
Lastormdsm
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lastormdsm
At this point I start off with passes and DPS, then DL's because those are the 3 that are going to take a long time to perfect. After that I'll grab Expert of Card College and try to learn something new.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I do it like Niall. Pick up a deck and start fanning, cutting, changing, and so on. Lately I've been putting a lot of time into my back palm, I want to have it looking flawless by the end of June. I think it's important to set goals. That way I can have the sense of achievement when I reach that goal. Take the Charlier cut for example.

My first goal was to do a nice Charlier with my left hand..

next goal: right hand
next goal: cutting without having to square with my "other hand" on the left
next goal: same thing, right side
next goal: Charlier with both hands simultaneously

This way I have some "happy feelings" after each victory and have a focus for my practice. I find it helps the practice actually happen.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1839 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I spend way over 50% of my time when I am awake with cards in hand doing all sorts of stuff but I try to dedicate at least 2 hours a day to really work on something particular. Jazzing is good way to keep touch with cards but for real progress I believe what Eugene Burger said that you should consentrate on 1 or 2 things that you are really working on, instead of just doing what ever comes to your mind.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of AsL
I think it all depends on how you're feeling at the time. I try to perform some flourishes in the morning just to get warmed up and then I practice sleights. Although I rarely perform flourishes for an audience, I've found that it really gets me warmed up and the sleights are much easier to perform.

Magicianguy4life
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
I always start by springing the cards from hand to hand, fanning the deck, and charlier cuts. Then I rehearse my material. I'm not working on any new routines right now, so the only other things I practice are the pass and double lift. I do this for 2-3 hrs a day total, not including performance time. Good luck.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Like coins, I keep cards in my desk, by my chair in the living room and on my dresser in the bedroom, and when I pass by I pick them up and practice a bit. Especially when watching TV, though I don't do a lot of that. I practice back palms, DL, pass, dealing seconds, dealing bottoms, false shuffles, false cuts, controling card from top to bottom and back, things like that. Interval practice, every day, and never, never, never look at the cards when I do it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I don't practice something I am not using. I only have about 30 minutes a day to really practice so I spend the time working on things I can use. Right now I am working on an Okito Coin Box routine with Medals for a Whiskey company and that is all I practice over and over.
I am a frim believer in pracricing scientifically and not just doing things blindly. I have to say though that I also will sit and play with a coin roll or flourishes with cards otr whatever when reading or watrching TV but that is just to build muscle memory.
e2x2e
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of e2x2e
I am a righty but do everything with cards as does a lefty...I started that way, and have continued that way. I like(as a challenge) to practice everything in both hands, so that I will hopefully be fully ambidexterous with cards.

I regularly practice:
DL
Passes
2nd deal

Then...I experiment and play around and come up with something cool once in a while.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Practicing only the routines that you are working on would be sort of like a musician only practicing the pieces that he's working on. That would be very unproductive. Any decent musician from a serious beginner all the way up to Yo Yo Ma would practice scales, exercises, and etudes in addition to the pieces they will be performing soon. It would be too easy to let too many sleights wither on the vine for lack of practice if you didn't make a point of practicing them daily in an organized fashion. If you're REALLY serious you might consider writing your practice regimen down and keeping a daily journal of practicing.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
It's true. And tricks need refreshing, too; especially when you're just starting out, and haven't performed each of them a thousand times (yet).

///ark
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 08:28, e2x2e wrote:
I am a righty but do everything with cards as does a lefty...I started that way, and have continued that way. I like(as a challenge) to practice everything in both hands, so that I will hopefully be fully ambidexterous with cards.

I regularly practice:
DL
Passes
2nd deal

Then...I experiment and play around and come up with something cool once in a while.

e2x2e,
That is a great way to challenge your brain and keep it sharp. Studies are showing that challenging both sides of the body with the same tasks will strengthen the brain and may help to prevent Neurodegenerative conditions. (Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, MS etc.)

~John
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
I am currently doing the Top Shot about 200 times a day Smile It's just so darn fun to watch.

Cheers,

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Daily practice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL