The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hat Manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
I am putting together an act and wondered if anyone uses hat manipulations in a manipulation act. I am just doing some flourishes with a few rolls and fips so far. Anyway I vaguely remember a color change using a hat but not sure what it was called. Anyone remember the name of this effect? Thanks
Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Check out the following website. It's called "Tricks With Hats" and they have everything imaginable. You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

http://www.trickswithhats.org/

Mark.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You can also make surprise appearances of different colored hats. And each appearance can lead into some magical effects such as same colored silks and canes appearing from them, or even colorful flowers coming out of the hat.

Just an idea you may want to play around with. Hope this helps.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Heres a good one.

hat in left hand pretends to throw hat into the air but it vanishes.

under the guise of 2 practice throws, on the final "throw" stick hat between right elbow and side of body doing this behind the back. should look fluid all in one stride of the arm. hat after "throw " will be hanging behind you from your elbow and side.

originally the trick was done by a juggler who instead of clipping it w/elbow caught it on his elbow{no magic, a stunt}

a pointer is to clip it on the rim.

hard to explain don't know where you'd find it in a book but it stops people in their tracks on the street because the entire hat vanishes.after the vanish as a magi you should be able to figure out how to make it appear and do other slights I know some but I think its to difficult explaining it here.

good luck.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There's a video out there called "hat juggling" that I picked up.
I like it.

Check out the charlie frye DVDs. they are some of the best magic DVDs on earth.

Check out YouTube for clips of George Carl (RIP).
Among them is a very touching video of him. His nephew posted it of him practicing in his front yard in Ohio.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Some descriptions of the basic moves and combos in Reg Bacon's "Manipulative Miscellania" as I recall.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Andy Head has a great video on hat manipulations.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Very good, unfortunately the quality of the tape copy from the distributer (now manufacturer) is very poor! If they master it to DVD, it would be a great buy, but the price they charge for x-generation backroom tape copies is too high for what you get. The copy I bought 2 year's ago was so poor that the video was not always viewable, and the sound disapeared in sections. I shipped it back (at my expense) and it was replaced with an equally poor copy.

Tony
crocodilewings
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
53 Posts

Profile of crocodilewings
Just out of interest, what kind of hat are you using?
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
Wow so many great ideas and advice. The hat I am using Crocodile is I guess what you would call a pork pie hat with a round brim for rolling. So far I am just doing some hat manipulations and a color change. James I like the silk color changes. I may add that as well. Thanks for the idea. Smile

Wow great video Frank! But like someone said terrible quality. Too bad there is not a better copy available. Has anyone ever bought the DVD Tricks with Hats? I am thinking of ordering it. Frank who puts out the hat juggling video?

Thanks for the help guys.
Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Hi Beth. I'll check on the video and see. The quality of it is just fine, btw.

I use a bowler that I've hardened with water/glue.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Check out this site if you're interested in buying a hat to juggle with:

http://www.dube.com/dube/index.html

I have the triple weight bowler and love it. I'm pretty sure that I saw Kozmo wearing the Nils Poll Bowler this time last year.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Hi Beth.
The video on hat juggling I bought was by "Andy Head".
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I just got a triple weight derby from Dube:
http://www.dube.com/hat/tripleweight-derby-juggling-hats.php

It's the same manufacturer as Nils Poll, but the derby shape gives it some dignity. I'm also a juggler, so I'll be incorporating a short 2 and three ball routine with that hat.

It feels great -- very excited to start working with it.

-Dan
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Frank,

I love those videos of George Carl. What a master!

-Dan
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Yes, indeed.

There's another clip on YOuTube where someone blatently ripped off George's act and called it his own. He was performing for a ton of people.

He even had a guy working the microphone keeping people's attention, and giving a running commentary on the act.

If you listen to the audience compared to George's act, there's no comparison.
The guy was getting nothing from the audience where George had them rolling in the aisles.

George was a real pro who knew how to get the laughs.

I want to get one of those triple-weight bowlers but I like the regular look to a hat and not the "round" look. Should I get over that and get the "round" version?
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Frank,

The round version makes it somewhat simpler to juggle and manipulate, because however it lands on your head is fine. You have to be a bit cleaner with your moves with the derby shape.

I was trying to talk myself into the round shape, but when I tried some on, I just couldn't do it. It looked so ridiculous on me -- I looked like a French clown who became a Hasidic Jew.

The triple weight derby was MUCH better, and I'm finding that after practicing a bit, the shape will be fine for the moves I want to do.

The red version has a contrasting black band, while the blue, black, and grey have matching bands. The red one looked best on me, even though I hadn't anticipated getting that color.

So...best bet is to try some on before buying. Also, I would have gotten the size wrong if I ordered without trying them on.

It's worth the effort. Having had a few bowlers already -- this is definitely the Rolls Royce of hats.

-Dan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to youtube and search "gentleman juggler" there's an old clip of a guy doing insane stuff with hats.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I just had a brief email convo with charlie frye and I'll be getting the regular derby/bowler. not the round one. I can already to the kickup with an oval hat with a good percentage so I'm going to stay with it.

is the nils poll derby any different/better than the dube triple weight?
I believe they are both triple weight. maybe I'll call dube.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The gentleman juggler doesn't seem to be there anymore. Check the clip of Bela and kris kremo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnePGJqsPmE
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hat Manipulation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL