The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Will this do damage to magic or Criss Angel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Should make lay people think about appreciating real Magic Artists.

Damage? no damage...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is one of two types of guys. One disgruntled fan who bought in to his BS about being "real" or a magician who bought into it.

Funny thing is that this is the type of thing that bites you square in the butt when you use it as he does.

I think this is why his live show is going to have trouble. When 90% of what you do relies on this type of thing, what can you expect?

I mean who is shocked by this? I bet the only people even interested in this are magicians. Nobody else bought it anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Danny,
I am not a Criss fan but his live show is good, that's how he started off. You need to understand that for a TV series he needs to constantly come up with new stuff so he will 'cheat'. It's kind like the new pop stars, they were able to crank out songs then lip sync. LOL
His live show is very good well when I seen it years ago, before the TV series that is. I only think he could get better from being in front of the camera and getting better funds for better consultants.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17565 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Very good...Lot's of work involved in this...he should be rewarded Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
This is interesting.

I don't want to play Devil's advocate here because I have seen a fair number of things that were set ups on his show. Think back the linking wedding rings and the time he produced a champagne bottle from a borrowed jacket for example. Not saying these were bad things, just using them to illustrate that what we saw isn't exactly how it goes in the real world.

That being said, the clips posted here appear to be legit and make sense on the surface, but if we strip them down and analyze them the way they stripped down the original footage, who's to say that these are correct? I am not an expert at digital editing, so I can't say that there aren't flaws in the film maker's findings.

I think it may actually help Criss in the long run. People love to see celebs fail. Assuming that enough of this stuff gets out (could have been leaked by his own PR people) people catch on to what is happening on TV and so they decide to go see him live anyway because they want to see how he's going to pull it off when there is no one there to edit things.

I have seen a wee bit of footage of him pre Mind Freak and he isn't bad. Has anyone else seen his no curtain presentation of Metamorphisis? His style wasn't for me, but the effect was well executed and it took less than 2 seconds.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Yes live he did it with smoke- or rather something looking like smoke-frost. Looked good some nights.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Impressive analysis. Well explained. Also an impressive use of the digital compositing that doesn't really look like digital compositing (until you break it down like this guys has done). His live show is still going to be awesome.

--Jack Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 00:19, Drew Manning wrote:
This is interesting.

I have seen a wee bit of footage of him pre Mind Freak and he isn't bad. Has anyone else seen his no curtain presentation of Metamorphisis? His style wasn't for me, but the effect was well executed and it took less than 2 seconds.

You mean the one where he burned the retina out of the audience with a wall of flame? No curtain. I love that. He still had a cover, so it was fire not a curtain, it was still COVER.

How could he have gotten better, as someone said, if he is using camera stuff as a crutch? Seems to me as if he would actually digress.

I hope his live show goes well. Someone is spending a large fortune on it. It would be better for "magic" if he was a success. I would pull for him more without the pompus attitude and the "I am better than anyone" attitude.

I have never liked his style, and he does cater to a less than mainstream audience. I wonder if that audience is enough to keep him in ticket money. I hope so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
A/ It's on TV.
B/ There is only the standard "don't try this at home" disclaimer.
C/ Wait until his Cirque show opens ... magic is a live event.
POOF!
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Ethics!
If you say "no camera trick", "like live", etc... how poor - how deep do you need to fall, how worthless is your word, how deplorable/pitiableis is somebody who decides to betray to be successful/to get money

=> That´s what the public should see. But: Sadly nobody sees it and sad enough that if they would see it, there would be no giving of a receipt. Lying did get normal in our association today.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Wow...I certainly learned a whole lot more about digital editting. Even if these explanations are not 100% accurate, they are plausible.

The internet has been a real blessing as well as a curse. One the one hand, we have unprecedented access to information and multimedia content that we never had before. As soon as something happens in the magic world, we can all share and discuss it. The downside is that others can also expose it just as easily.

Think about David Copperfield's Statue of Liberty vanish, back in 1983. How would this have faired in the internet world of today? Like Criss Angel's stunts, David did that for the publicity. Obviously, he couldn't do it in the live shows, but it has helped to sell tickets through out the years.

I guess the point that I'd like to make is that Criss Angel isn't the first performer to use outrageous TV stunts to promote his live shows. Copperfield "flew" over the Grand Canyon, made a national monument "disappear", "walked through" the Great Wall of China, etc. All TV stunts, which later drove people into the theater to see the live shows.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Chris Starr thumbs up! Your right my brother! They are doing what works, and the key to the shows are filling up the seats!
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 13:03, JoyJoy wrote:
Ethics!
If you say "no camera trick", "like live", etc... how poor - how deep do you need to fall, how worthless is your word, how deplorable/pitiableis is somebody who decides to betray to be successful/to get money

=> That´s what the public should see. But: Sadly nobody sees it and sad enough that if they would see it, there would be no giving of a receipt. Lying did get normal in our association today.

Well, if memory serves, he dosen't ALWAYS say WYSIWYG when doing an effect. Sometimes he does and if he expresly says that, then I would expect that he uphold that concept. (I can't recall if he said that in relation to these particular effects or not).

Assuming that the video shows his true mehtod of levitating between two buildings, is that really any different than some of the methods used in a live theatrical performence by other magicians? I don't think they are. The difference is that he edited in his background cover where as in a live performce, it's blended into the stage scenery when needed.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The "implication" is he leans on camera tricks.

Actually that is more my belief LOL. But it seems so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
No one really kicked up a storm when Copperfields Tornado of fire special had a lot of digital touch up..But criss gets nailed everytime
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I loss faith in TV magic shows years ago when Copperfield started messing with the TV cameras. Unfortunately David Blaine and Chris Angel are taking up David's bad habits.

Gerry
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
When magicians work with camera trick, this situation can happen...

Paulo
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17565 Posts

Profile of Slim King
At this point, What's the difference between Criss Angel and a scene from Harry Potter?
Same deal....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Hey what does Criss care when he laughs himself to the bank. Ta Da that is magic...money in the bank...he made millions.
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Well .. first off, I would have never seen this footage if you didn't post it here on the Café. It's fine on here .. but it shouldn't be available to the general public, they'll question everything on TV.

You know, I would do the same stuff if I were in his shoes ah, boots .. money talks!

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Will this do damage to magic or Criss Angel? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL