The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Will this do damage to magic or Criss Angel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Me too Steve!

I suspect the Cirque show will be spectacular. Seen a Cirque Du Soleil show that in some aspect was not magical?
Criss and this particular franchise will be solid together and perfect.

These youTube videos do nothing but spread the man's fame...nothing more.
Folk want flights of fantasy on TV/Web right now and he provides it. I suspect the pro's are working more and amateurs are being more tolerated because of Angel, Blaine, Cyril and others. Seems all good to me.

As far as camera tricks, I heard this season Criss fights a velociraptor on Musha Cay.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Copperfield used camera angles and stooges (vanishing train car). He used video compositing In Voyeur. Blaine's levitation was edited. Criss Angel does it too. These guys have another thing in common: They are now rich and famous..... Now where's my camera?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19854 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-05-28 18:49, macGyver(south Africa) wrote:
No one really kicked up a storm when Copperfields Tornado of fire special had a lot of digital touch up..But criss gets nailed everytime

How does this affect him in one way or the other. Criss uses them CONSTANTLY. To do card tricks for pity sake.

As for anyone who says they would do the same thing, ok go ahead, but it seems to me that it is a backward step.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Richard Osterlind's latest DVD releases are a timely contribution to our art. I like the title.

Magic on TV is fun to watch; I enjoy it. Makes me want to see more live performances.

I don't think those clips will damage either magic or CA, certainly not to any noticeable extent.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I do not like who make camera trick, because I think the art of illusion don't need this camera trick.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
In the end, I suppose it really doesn't matter. I think we just want more "real" magic and less TV special F/X.

The main thing in magic is to entertain the audience and as long as CA has a fan base that is willing to sit and watch, he's done his job.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I just think it is sad that the only tv specials now are filled with the camera trickery. What does this say about the state of our art? Is a broadcast of an actual live stage show not exciting enough for the audience?

I used to love watching magic on tv when it was filmed on stage. The Lance Burton, Copperfield, World's Greatest Magic, etc. I loved them. However, the minute they went outside and started making tanks, airplanes, large statues, and so on, disappear I honestly hated it. I hated most of the Blaine routines.

Example: Blaine walks up to a 'stranger' on the street and says: "Think of a number between such and such." The 'stranger' thinks hard and says, "OK, I've got one." Blaine concentrates very hard for a moment and says, "It's 34". The 'stranger' in utter shock and amazement almost faints. After they finally get their mile-wide jaw closed they say, "Oh, my God!!!! How did you do that???? I can't believe it!!! He just asked me to think of a number....and he knew what I was thinking!!!! He guessed it right off the bat!!!! Wow!!! He is amazing!!!!! This is unreal!!!!! I have never seen anything like this in my entire life!!!! I can't believe this is happening!!!!"

I despise this kind of 'magic'.

Like someone already said, some of this stuff is no more than a Harry Potter movie. Digital effects has even ruined movie-going for me. I just don't like it. It used to be fun to see stunts, etc., and wonder how they did it, but now it just isn't amazing anymore. The reason it is not amazing anymore is because there is no wonder involved. I guess everything has to become more and more extreme, but for me, it's not enjoyable when I know it's done with computers or cameras. If this trend of tv magic continues, I wonder if the public will eventually cease to be be amazed by magic?

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Technology is becoming so advanced that they are workng on making soldiers invisible..what will become of magic?
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
The use of CGI by CA has been discussed a lot in this same forum. Lots of opinions, pros and cons. These videos are really interesting. Very nicely made. I assume a CGI expert did them, not a magician of course. However I think most lay people will be uninterested.

I think it was only a matter of time before this happened. Now with internet and all the technology I think it was going to happen sooner or later. Especially since CA has been under all this fire for resorting to such antics a lot. I expect Criss to focus on his new Vegas live show, which I think will be great. I see his TV run starting to wind down. I don´t foresee a 4th season of Mindfreak. Still a pitty.

Again, I liked the technical videos but I think this thread should be moved to secret sessions.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 12:21, macGyver(south Africa) wrote:
Technology is becoming so advanced that they are workng on making soldiers invisible..what will become of magic?

We can employ military technology to make our jobs as magicians easier :wink:
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Magic Chris
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
99 Posts

Profile of Magic Chris
Hi everybody

I was really shocked by this link:

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=1b4T94F7kM4

A magician reveals some of the best and most
popular magic tricks and illusions in the world !!!!
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 18:02, Magic Chris wrote:
I was really shocked by this link:
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=1b4T94F7kM4

yawn... a really nice clip (DC imitation: Daniel Chesterfield), but how often will it Be posted here?
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Very good camera trick...
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
The difference between Copperfield and Blaine to Criss , is that the first 2 don't claim to use no editing, they don't claim not to use stooges etc etc. Some of Copperfield stunts I am sure contain special effects, but he wasn't bleeping on about how it all real, you 'can't fake this stuff'
I think its Criss' claims that landed him in trouble.

Leason, if your gonna use tv editing and effects, don't claim you don't.

The reality is this kinda thing also harms the reputation of the people around him as well.
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19854 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The very wording of "you can't fake this stuff" is kind of an idiotic claim anyhow.

So we are left to think he has powers? LOL. Almost as if he is working for children.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-05-27 23:06, Dannydoyle wrote:

I mean who is shocked by this? I bet the only people even interested in this are magicians. Nobody else bought it anyhow.

I don't ofter disagree with Danny, but............... Smile
Criss Angel was on a local radio station just this morning. I listended by chance. It is a station I don't listen to, but happened to be scanning through and heard Criss Angel Mindfreak up next.

I was shocked at how many people honestly think this guy has sold his soul to the devil. I was laughing in my car as I was driving. The funny thing is they flat out asked him if he had sold his soul. His response was "I am not the devil". Well after the interview that just got more people wound up. He said he is not the devil, but he didn't say he didn't sell his sould blah blah blah. What I am getting at is this. PEOPLE HAVE BOUGHT IN.
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
One thing is to like or dislike the entertainment that Criss Angel provides; and a very different one is to actually believe that any supernatural stuff is involved. I also know some people that are really convinced that he has some type of "pact" with the devil. I mean, come on!!!

I can respect anyone that has his own opinion if he likes or not his magic. But these people? Remember what P.T. Barnum used to say "There´s a sucker born every minute"
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I am not one of those people. I am just telling everyone that we toss Angel to the side and make fun, but laymen don't. We over look that a lot.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19854 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Chichi, not a HUGE number of people have bought in.

More bought in to David Blaine and the fly thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Danny I disagree with you, Criss is NOW a bigger name amongst lay people that Blaine. Perhaps I feel that way cause of the demographics we perform for and are around most the time. But everywhere we go around the country, they are talking about Criss. They know more about Criss, than they do what's his name...which is what they almost always say.

He even shows up in the tabloids...whether you like him or not, people know him and are paying attention.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Will this do damage to magic or Criss Angel? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL