We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Whatever Can Go Wrong Will (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
In doing my Monday night restaurant gig, I had a head-on, run-in, with Murphy's law.

I have a comedy effect that I do with a Mirage deck (roughed Svengali). During the effect I try to find a spectators freely selected (yea, right) card, to no avail. At last I have the spectator find the card by inserting a long card into the deck. Somehow, one and only one of the twenty six pairs was out of sequence. Of course, the spectator found that one in fifty two spot where his card was not.

I had good reason to be confident with this effect, because I had just run through the cards last Friday to check the roughing. I had only performed it once since then.

The moral to the story: check every bit of your equipment before every performance! DOA!!!

Brady
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If that is the only run in with murphy you ever have, you are way ahead of the game, I've had props fall apart, gimmicks fall out, dropped cards that weren't seen in which the chosen card was among them, you name it, it has happened. And I've discovered over the years even with a Svengali deck the spectator sometimes can choose a different card. Definitely check the equipment, but as Harry Lorayne says, if you screw up, keep on going until you come up with something.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Absolutely! It happened before, it happened today and it will happen again, that much is sure.

What to do? As Photius says, just keep going, and going, and going....

Mark.
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
You can always play it like you intended it to happen. With the Svengali you could point out that they managed to pick the only card that wasn't their card Smile
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Two big screw ups at my last gig:

I was doing an anniversary waltz style effect - a double blank is printed into a double facer with the couple's cards & sigs on them. Anyway, I somehow (still not sure how) missed the force on the first selection, leaving me with a signed regular card and an audience of 40 people looking for a "couple" effect...so my mind is racing, what to do, what to do. I palmed off the double facer while I handed the rest of the deck to the guy to shuffle so it wouldn't pop up, had him select and sign a card and still no idea where this is going. Finally, I came up with something. ANOTHER card selected, is lost into the deck. Shuffle shuffle shuffle...had the couple take their cards and "completely freely" sandwich a card in the deck, thus working together to find a card. It actually turned out rather well! It's at times like that that I'm grateful for the prophecy move Smile

Unfortunately I couldn't make the best of the other big screw up. You know, I've NEVER messed up on rope through neck before....ouch! I passed it off as a lame gag "testing the rope...yep, that's solid!". Nervous laughter (who is this nutter?!) and moving swiftly on....
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Obrien's Law states Murphy was an optimist.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doyle says Murphy got off easy!

If this is the worst thing that happens to you then you are expecting a charmed life.

Learn to keep going. Learn that our failure happens right in front of people. Oh and it WILL happen.

Here is a thought to keep you up at night. The more you work, the more it happens. Kind of counter intuative isn't it? Well here is how it works.

If you are at say a 95% ratio of not getting caught we can agree that is pretty good. I don't personally thing ANYONE is but lets just say for arguement sake.

Now when you do one show a week, it will be an average of almost 2 years to the time you are caught or having a bad day.

Now do 5 a week. It is almost ever 5 months as an average!

Break it down by number of tables and your heart will sink!

Point is that these things happen to EVERYONE. Anyone who tells you no is either a telling a lie, or dosn't work much or is selling you something.

It is the way in which you get through it that makes you a professional. Anyone can do a show when everything goes right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
There will be more bad days ahead. But we learn through experiences - good or bad.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
MURPHY'S LAWS

1 Nothing is as easy as it looks.

2 Everything takes longer than you think.

3 Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. (at the worst possible moment - Finagle's Constant)

4 If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.

5 If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

6 If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.

7 Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

7 If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

9 Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

10 Mother nature is a female dog.

11 It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

12 Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.

13 Every solution breeds new problems.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 16:36, Lee Darrow wrote:
2 Everything takes longer than you think.

Hofstadter's Law:

Everything takes longer than you think it will, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3655 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Years ago I did a multiplying ball routine, ending with a "flash four" production. All eight balls were dropped into a tip over box. To vanish the balls, I spun the tipover box, and the cloth bag that secured the balls came loose. Instead of vanishing, balls were flying everywhere! How do you recover from that?!

Jim
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Go into "applause position and go "TA-DAH!!"

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I happpens to EVERYONE ( except those that never perform ). You have joined the company of the greats of magic!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Everything takes 4 hours. Doyle says so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Thanks for that, Danny. I'll set aside 4 hrs to master the Diagonal Palm Shift at some point. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-05-30 12:45, ChristopherM wrote:
Thanks for that, Danny. I'll set aside 4 hrs to master the Diagonal Palm Shift at some point. Smile

Fantastic point. I was more talking about running an errond. Your right, 5 hours may be necessary for this LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 23:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
Everything takes 4 hours. Doyle says so.

Too bad school takes more than 4 hours...Smile.

hehehe...nice one Danny.
Steve
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Look at the bright side...at least you weren't performing Sword Thru Neck! Or Smash & Stab!
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
321 Posts

Profile of Gerald
If you are performing the Chinese Rings and accidentally drop one of the rings, which one will it be? You guessed it . . .

The more you perform, the more likely the odds will catch up with you. There are ways to prepare and try to avoid mistakes, but Murphy’s Law looms and will triumph sooner or later. Just make no big deal out of a mistake, be prepared with a funny line, keep your composure and keep going.

Gerald
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
I had a church show the other day. It started off bad. I only had a very limited time to perform and they were having mic issues. I had to cut my show even more...on the fly. And when I went to produce my eight foot straw.......well.....Lets just say that it wasnt all that great as I had left it in my car rolled up all day (did I mention I live in Mississippi and it was like a million degrees out). Anyway.....

Also, if you do not own Kollosal Killer by Kenton Knepper buy it now. It can get you out of a lot of jams as it relates to cards.

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Whatever Can Go Wrong Will (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL