The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » New "UNO" 6-card-repeat.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I don't know how many of you have seen the latest issue of "Magic", and in particular, Silly Billy's column. The effect that column discusses/teaches is wonderful! I got an email from one of the groups to which I belong, and one of the "for sale" offerings there was the Uno card version of the 6-card repeat. I bought it using paypal, and it arrived coincidentally the same day as the issue of Magic. While the premise is an old effect, the props certainly help with the congruity of the handling! The cards aren't just random playing cards, but cards numbered 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 (there are others, but if you wanna know, you'll learn it) which helps people with the visualization of what's happening during the trick.

I highly recommend this, unless, of course, you live anywhere near me, then, it's horrible, and you shouldn't buy it. The seller is a professor at (if memory serves me correctly) Cal Tech, so he's a reputable guy!

There are other versions of this that he sells as well, one using "Skip-Bo" cards.

Steve Thomas
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
How does one get "Uno" 6-card-repeat?

magiclee
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Pick up the latest issue of MAGIC, and read that column. The contact info for the gentleman is there. Not expensive, either...less than $20, and the cards are included.

Steve
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Would someone please type the contact information here for anyone who doesn't have MAGIC?
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Nick Brown at nbrown@calpoly.edu

Nick made a customized set for me. Great quality--prop and routine!

Regards,

Paul Green
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks, Paul!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
And worth more than the small amount he's selling 'em for. Buy a set (or two) before he comes to his senses!

Steve
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks, Steve. I woulda missed this one.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have no monetary affiliation with Nick, but when you order, please tell him you found out from me. He'll get a kick outta that!

Steve
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Anybody else discover this GEM?

Steve
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I usually use whatever trading card game is popular at the moment. It really gets the kids attention and is something that they recognize and can relate to. I've used Magic Cards, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and just plain ol' baseball cards. It also give you a good reason as to why your only using six as the booster cards come in packs of six to twelve cards. If your clever you can even reseal the packaging they come in so you can open the pack up in front of the audience and start into your routine.
I like the idea of the UNO cards and will have to make up a set when my copy of MAGIC arrives.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
This is much better than any other cards you can use because of the NUMBERED nature of the cards, and makes it even easier for the kids to keep up with! They can count along with you, and it makes it more visual, too. Lots better than just plain cards.

Steve
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 19:58, Stevethomas wrote:
This is much better than any other cards you can use because of the NUMBERED nature of the cards, and makes it even easier for the kids to keep up with! They can count along with you, and it makes it more visual, too. Lots better than just plain cards.

Steve

Playing cards are numbered and I've never encountered anyone who has difficulty keeping up with six objects either. The UNO cards sound fun and will be a great addition to the repertoire but the trading cards will still have their place as well. I'm also playing with a dieters version using "Deal A Meal" type cards and have a regular playing card routine that uses a rather special prop to kick it up a level or two.
There's no reason to limit yourself to a single version of this classic effect.
Perhaps a collaborative book or DVD needs to be made of the endless variations that can be devised using this trick.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
This version isn't the same as the old-style 6-card repeat. There's a brand new phase that necessitates the use of the numbered cards. You have a 1-6 throughout the entire routine until the end when you end up (by "mistake") with a 4-5-6-7-8 and a NINE! Ostensibly because you forgot what the magician from whom you learned the effect told you to do. And the huge number in the center of the brightly colored cards makes it more visible to larger audiences.

Steve
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2007-05-29 18:07, Stevethomas wrote:
And worth more than the small amount he's selling 'em for. Buy a set (or two) before he comes to his senses!

Steve

Do you just email the gentleman and tell him you'd like one or?

Smartini (man wanting 6 card Uno)
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Sent you the contact info. I really thought more people on this board were subscribers to MAGIC magazine.

Steve
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I would love to add a six card repeat. not very good at palming, where can I find info for the Uno.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » New "UNO" 6-card-repeat.... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL