The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » E.A. Poe effects anyone?? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I am a student of Poe. He is by far my favorite author. I was wondering if anyone has any effects using his stories or poems. I am working on one for the tale tale heart.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
WR, this charming little story, supposedly true, explores one of Poe's terrible morbid obsessions.

At the University of Camerino, Italy, in 1950, psychology professor Dr Giuseppi Stoppolini, held classes that explored the occult. In one lecture, he introduced medium Maria Bocca to his students, and, obligingly, she went into a trance.

To begin with, it was standard fare, but near the end of the seance came a pitiful voice, distant, and filled with suffering. It said, 'I was born Rosa Manichelli. When I died I was Rosa Spadoni but my husband has since died, too. We are both in the cemetery at Castel-Raimondo. I am asking you to help me because it may be of help to others. Two days after the death certificate was signed, I was taken to the cemetery in a deep coma, and buried alive!'

Dr Stoppolini was, to say the least, shocked, but he and his students researched the message, and found that there was such a person buried at that cemetery. Pulling strings with the public pathologist, whom he knew, the professor was able to obtain an order for exhumation. On a grey October day, with the carrion birds cawing in the wet trees, a deep hole was dug, and the coffin lid forced open. What the professor saw was utterly appaling.

Rosa's skeleton lay on its back, with her knees bent as if in an effort to free the lid. Her ankles were broken, and her fingers were thrust into her mouth and throat cavity, as if gasping for air.

And worst of all, confirming this awful premature burial, there were three deep scratches on the coffin lid, where Rosa had evidently tried to claw her desperate way out.

Okay, off the top of my head, here's how I'd present this story simply. I'd start telling the story as far as the seance. Then I'd borrow back one of my business cards from a specator who'd taken it earlier, and ask the spectator to jot down notes from the seance, on the back. I'd do the trance bit, albeit I'd used automatic writing for the message, especially for a short table hopping routine. I'd have the spectator push the card towards me, so I could refer to the notes of name of person and cemetery, and continue with the story. Then when the scratches were discovered, I'd pause and slowly turn over the business card, to reveal three terrible scratches on its face. And, of course, the card would be returned to the spectator as a souvenir.

Then we'd talk about how they would like to 'go', in a light fashion, to further the intimacy, and lift some of the heavy load dumped by the story. And this would give me the perfect opportunity to do a little cold reading. If anybody asked when THEY were going to die, which does happen, I'd maybe explore some of the ideas propounded in the 'I can tell you how you're going to die' thread.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
i remember being extreamly disapointed when i found out that the raven was for vanishing coins

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
WR,
Funny you should mention Poe. I'm currently finishing work on my "A Visit with Edgar Allan Poe" show which I will be presenting at libraries. I have routines for The Tell-Tale Heart, Fall of the House of Usher, The Raven, Hop Frog, The Pit and the Pendulum and I finish with a Masque of the Red Death routine.

Sometime this spring I will be publishing a book and some of these routines will be included.

Continue your interest in Poe! (I'm also working on a Steve King show.)
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
One would be neat doing a crack in the wall--appearing and reappearing while you do a POE seance! Also incorporate the heart beating underneath the floorboard...

Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Milwaukee magician David Parr (author of Brain Food) does an entire evening of Poe-themed magic. http://www.davidparr.com/poereview.html

I've also heard that Roger Klause does a gorgeous linking rings routine to "The Raven."
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Gentelmen, and ladies, Thank you for your responses. I will try the suggestions. Marqus please let me know more about your show. I am currently working on a mirror box to do the Tale Tale Heart with as well as a card effect for the raven. I am tryiny to think of a way to use the cardwarp in a Poeistic effect.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Necromancer said, "I've also heard that Roger Klause does a gorgeous linking rings routine to 'The Raven.'" Roger did perform the Linking Rings to a patter story of "The Raven". There is only one video of Roger performing the routine and Roger gave me permission to record it. Because I was working with a new camera, some parts are missing because I accidentally hit the still picture button while recording. Still it is a great performance piece.

May the force be with you
Antony Gerard
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
You should check this out. First thing I thought of when I read the original post.

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/ABaM.html
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Hello WR, I came up and built this original routine..not your typical Poe scenario...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tShYyzb3cNY
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have the item from Lebanon Circle and can reccomend it, the props as always are first class.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I can imagine the surprise look on WR's face, when he sees his post has been brought back alive, from Jan/2003 . Smile

Proof, that some know how to use the "Search"...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Poe Brainwave and Death Of Poe are at Gemini Artifacts. I do Poe Brainwave all the time.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Been lookin for E.A. Poe's "A book at midnight"!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » E.A. Poe effects anyone?? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL