The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » James Brown's Workeroo » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
Jeremy (Irish Ghost),

I believe you misinterpreted my post, which would happen if you happened not to have followed the thread from the beginning all the way through. I was being facetious in the post in question to make a point, i.e., it is NOT okay to appropriate another magician’s original, marketed idea (John Anders’ The Direct Link), make some cosmetic changes to it (or not) and sell it as your own, which Mr. Brown is doing with his planned release of Workeroo. In his post defending Mr. Brown, Christopher Williams contended that what Mr. Brown intends to do is alright because the ancient belly servante was an “existing idea.” My counter to that was this: Although the ancient belly servante was an existing gimmick that was long in the public domain, Mr. Anders’original idea to redesign that gimmick in the manner he did to make The Direct Link is proprietary to Mr. Anders (he even registered his creation by Trade Marking it). My facetious point was this: If one followed Mr. Willams’ and Mr. Brown’s logic, I (or someone else) would be justified in copying Workeroo and marketing a competing version because, after all, once it is release, it is an “existing idea.” Once could use this “logic” to pirate anyone’s and everyone’s products and effects.

My intent in contacting Mr. Brown privately those many weeks ago, soon after he posted his teaser video of Workeroo, was that Mr. Brown should contact Mr. Anders before further promoting or releasing Workeroo to determine whether Workeroo infringed on The Direct Link and whether Mr. Anders would object to Mr. Brown releasing Workeroo. Had he done so, which was the obvious right thing under the circumstances, the matter likely could have been resolved amicably with Mr. Anders. Mr. Brown never even responded to my private message to say, “Wow. I didn’t know about The Direct Link. Thanks for alerting me. Of course I will contact Mr. Anders, as it appears that he might have thought of and marketed the core idea first.” Nor did he ever contact Mr. Anders. To the contrary, Mr. Brown took the position that he could release whatever he wants and needn’t be bothered by evidence that he was attempting to profit from someone else’s proprietary idea. (This same attitude resulted in Alakazam Magic having to pull Mr. Brown’s “Fancy A Pot Of Jam” dvd because Mr. Brown had insisted on including another magician’s trademark effect.)

What Mr. Brown has chosen not to disclose to anyone on this thread is that his efforts to avoid dealing with Mr. Anders have failed. Mr. Anders has now contacted Mr. Brown and advised him in no uncertain terms that Mr. Brown does NOT have Mr. Anders’ permission to release Workeroo. Mr. Anders has demanded that Mr. Brown cease and desist any and all promotion and sales efforts concerning Workeroo.

ESA
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
Oh but I do.

Following a lengthy conversation yesterday Mr Anders is happy for me to continue with this product. Details of that conversation are private at the moment but will be released at the appropriate time.

Mr ESA is clearly not as close a friend to Mr Anders as he professes to be, otherwise he would have known this rather than continuing to spread this childish gossip.

The Workeroo will be released regardless of tossers like E.S.A.

You couldn't even get the facts straight about the Jam DVD. Muppet.

JB
Yes I am grinning.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Daren
Well said james, couldn't of put it better myself, I am looking forward to the workeroo, still like to know the content of the dvd mind
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
Patience my friend, patience!
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
Well, James, I am indeed relieved to hear that you finally have spoken with Mr. Anders and apparently have reached an accommodation with him. While it is unfortunate that you had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do it (via the posts of myself and others and resulting emails to Mr. Anders, leading to Mr. Anders sending you a cease and desist letter), at least it finally was done. I have never held myself out as being a friend of Mr. Anders. I made that clear in my posts on this thread and in my private message to you. Why on earth you refused to contact him in the first instance, and continued to refuse until he threatened you, is beyond me. Nevertheless, if, in fact, you and Mr. Anders have reached an accommodation, then my efforts, and the efforts of others who respect the intellectual property rights of creators of magic, will not have been in vain.

SO . . . assuming that Mr. Anders is satisfied and has cleared the way for James to release Workeroo, I will consider this matter closed and I will be the first to wish James the greatest success with his release. In fact, knowing just how good The Direct Link is, and considering James' claims that Workeroo exceeds it, I might well be one of James' first customers.

ESA
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
Quote:
On 2007-06-30 16:06, E.S. Andrews wrote:
While it is unfortunate that you had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do it (via the posts of myself and others and resulting emails to Mr. Anders, leading to Mr. Anders sending you a cease and desist letter), at least it finally was done.

Why on earth you refused to contact him in the first instance, and continued to refuse until he threatened you, is beyond me.

ESA

Amazing arrogance. No-one dragged me anywhere. The fact is I saw no reason to speak to Mr Anders as I knew this was not copied from him. He contacted me because people like you where feeding him misinformation.

You outright called me a thief in one of your posts (deleted I believe) and have now been proved full of sh*t. Yet no apology.

You claim that people like me do this community damage. Well your wrong. It's people like you. You spread malicious gossip with no foundation but your own warped opinion. And then have the balls to post in a manner suggesting you won somehow.

The only saving grace in all this is the number of people who privately contacted me saying how disgusted they have been about your behaviour.

JB
E.S. Andrews
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of E.S. Andrews
ESA
Quote:

Amazing arrogance. No-one dragged me anywhere. The fact is I saw no reason to speak to Mr Anders as I knew this was not copied from him. He contacted me because people like you where feeding him misinformation.

JB

I provided Mr. Anders no "misinformation" whatsoever. Only facts, to wit: (a) You were promoting a future release you called "Workeroo;" (b) Members of the Café had noticed that Workeroo appeared to be the same core idea as Mr. Anders' The Direct Link; (c) I contacted you privately to alert you to this and to suggest that you contact Mr. Anders; (d) You ignored my private message, did not respond, and did not contact Mr. Anders; This is the information that I, and others, provided to Mr. Anders. If any misinformation is reflected in this paragraph, please direct us to it.

Not once did I call you a "thief" or contend that you had "copied" the idea for Workeroo from Mr. Anders' creation. I merely pointed out to you, privately in the first instance, that what I (and others) surmised was the principle for Workeroo had previously been marketed by Mr. Anders and that you should, therefore, contact him to discuss it. I took pains to point out that contacting Mr. Anders was only the right and responsible thing to do, even if you had never heard of or seen The Direct Link. At the very least, if the core principle of Workeroo was the same as The Direct Link, Mr. Anders would be entitled to credit for having thought of it and brought it to market first. At the other extreme, Mr. Anders might well have had an objection to you releasing Workeroo or have wanted some sort of monetary compensation. The point was, having been alerted that Workeroo appeared to duplicate Mr. Anders' original, previously marketed concept, you should at least have contacted him to discuss it. If the roles had been reversed, would you not have expected the same of Mr. Anders?

You used the Café to promote your release, yet when members alerted you to your possible duplication of a previously marketed item, you buried your head in the sand. Some would say that was the height of "arrogance." The rules and conventions apply to everyone, James, even to exceptionally talented magicians such as yourself.

ESA
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-06-30 09:53, Dmann wrote:
Hey Jeremy,
I hope you will accept my appologies... Please forgive me for jumping to conclusions.

Already forgotten brother,

Jeremy
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
ESA, give me your paypal address and I'll wire you 20p...........
ecopeel
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
2 Posts

Profile of ecopeel
I'm new here, please tell me that there are not too many arrogant, nosy, rude people like ESA here. The workeroo looks sweet. I will certainly order one, but unfortunately it will have to wait until x-mas. I spent a large amount of money on another device.
Heygeno
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Heygeno
Ecopeel

As Louis Armstrong said, "With some people, if they don't know, you can't tell them."

The best thing to do with the arrogant schmucks is to ignore them and hopefully they will go away..

Gene
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
I liked the demo.

Quote:
On 2007-07-06 01:53, Heygeno wrote:
Ecopeel

As Louis Armstrong said, "With some people, if they don't know, you can't tell them."

The best thing to do with the arrogant schmucks is to ignore them and hopefully they will go away..

Gene

LOL.
Good advice.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Heygeno...Amen

Ecopeel..Yes, There are a few people like ESA here that I guess don't have anything better to do than be rude and arrogant to other members here. As Heygeno said you just have to ignore them. Just try not to get roped into a long back and forth posting frenzy with them. People like this guy have their little opinions and nothing you can say or do will change their so-called minds so its better not to waste your time.

Just want to say that the workeroo looks great by the way.

Don't let few little people here get you down guys. There are far more good people here than there are idiots. Just remember that.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
By the way... The only posts this ESA guy has made in the last 30 days are on this thread. Coupled with the fact that half his post count is on this thread it kind of makes you wonder.

Hmmmmmm.....Sounds like someones got some sort of agenda.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Just got a pre-order email back from james this week
not long now.........
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Daren
Is he accepting payments for this yet?
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Yes daren, He is accepting pre-orders.

This is on the 2nd page of this thread I think. He's got the cost of the item listed there too.

Here's the address:

Magic@jbmagicman.co.uk

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I can;t wait! how much longer james! I'm a anxious b@$&^#d!
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
The Workeroo is now ready.

http://www.jbmagicman.co.uk/alex.html

Non Paypal can contact me by email for alternative methods.

magic@jbmagicman.co.uk

James Brown
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Excellent, will be paying by paypal this monday.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » James Brown's Workeroo » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL