The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Small Packet Palming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
What would you consider the best palm to use when palming off a small packet? That is to say, you have a 12 card packet and need to palm 3 cards off. I find this to be a tricky maneuver. Am I alone?
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 13:44, Mr Rubiks wrote:
What would you consider the best palm to use when palming off a small packet? That is to say, you have a 12 card packet and need to palm 3 cards off. I find this to be a tricky maneuver. Am I alone?

Erdnase Top Palm. get a break below three cards, then pivot them out into palm.
Evikshin
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Which palm is best depends on the context it's used in. There is NO one correct answer. If there was, there would only be on method.

What are the performing conditions?
Seated or standing?
Are the cards on top, in the middle somewhere or on the bottom of the packet?
What is the effect? The methods can be different depending on what is acceptable proceedure.

Or if you don't want to be bothered with too much thinking: the gamblers cop.

:)
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
I've actually thought about the gambler's cop. The routine is done standing, possibly surrounded. I would much rather cop than top palm. But how to unload the 3 cards? A pocket, yes... but what's the reason for going to the pocket? No surface available.

Rubiks
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 15:28, Mr Rubiks wrote:
I've actually thought about the gambler's cop. The routine is done standing, possibly surrounded. I would much rather cop than top palm. But how to unload the 3 cards? A pocket, yes... but what's the reason for going to the pocket? No surface available.

Rubiks

I'm a little confused. What exactly is the routine you are working on?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 15:12, wsduncan wrote:
Which palm is best depends on the context it's used in. There is NO one correct answer. If there was, there would only be on method.

What are the performing conditions?
Seated or standing?
Are the cards on top, in the middle somewhere or on the bottom of the packet?
What is the effect? The methods can be different depending on what is acceptable proceedure.

Or if you don't want to be bothered with too much thinking: the gamblers cop.

:)

Your right, it is not as if there is one right answer. What works in some situations with some amounts of cards may very well fall dead in another. Just the number of cards is not enough information.

Gamblers cop can get nailed from a bad angle. This is directly related to conditions. What is going on in the rest of the effect? Can cover be gained from presentational ideas? All sorts of things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Rubiks
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Mr Rubiks
I apologize for digressing.... the routine notwithstanding, I am having problems getting into position for the palm. I can't seem to maintain, let alone secure the break, without some serious tells. Do you catch the break with the pinkie or thumb? I just can't get the knack of palming off a small packet. Any good DVDs out there?

Rubiks
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 17:44, Mr Rubiks wrote:
I apologize for digressing.... the routine notwithstanding, I am having problems getting into position for the palm. I can't seem to maintain, let alone secure the break, without some serious tells. Do you catch the break with the pinkie or thumb? I just can't get the knack of palming off a small packet. Any good DVDs out there?

Rubiks

If you are doing a top palm, pinky count or thumb count to get your break. Or you can also just spread out the cards, then when squaring, get a break (make sure you have a reason for doing this). Or if you want to do a bottom palm, buckle to get your break. Its very easy.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
Skinning the Hand - Erdnase - Springs to mind.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
627 Posts

Profile of JordanB
It all depends on the situation, but for a standard situation(with the deck held parallel to floor) I use Bob White's Small Packet Palm. It is Bob's original palm based on the Erdnase Top Palm. It looks perfectly natural and your hands look perfectly relaxed. You can get it on his DVD or in his lecture notes.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I would say that this is a discussion for the secret session . . .
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Small Packet Palming (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL