The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What to do while making balloon animals? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
I have taken a new approach to making balloons. I make them during the show itself. I use it as a parting gift for my helpers from the audience. And I try to use as many helpers as possible.

Of course, I can't have the whole audience up on stage so then I will make balloons after the show for anyone who wants one. This way no one is sitting around and then getting out of line.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I realize this is a old post but few really hit on my thoughts so thought I would share.

I am a entertainer first and a balloon machine second. In 14 years of making balloons for small and large events I have learned gags and tricks to do with balloons to keep them watching all day. I have people who watch from the side just to see the antics of Amos and Becka as they create the balloons. My favorite is when I actually get my full hand stuck inside a clear stuffing balloon. Kids go wild on that and all the trouble I have getting it out.

So my quick comment would be to make the ballooning into a show and not another line they have to wait in.

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
"While this is happening I tell jokes, sing, talk to the kids whatever. I find that most of them enjoy watching the balloons get made."

I agree with this statement. The twisting of balloons in itself is a form of magical art. Spice it up with a little break dancing and you got a great routine. Smile
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2007-06-21 16:38, CaptainKid wrote: Whoever guesses what it is has to give the balloon to someone shorter than they are that doesn't have a balloon.

that's a great idea.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Darn, I read this thread with the hope I would find a reason to go back to making balloon animals for birthday parties, but nothing here convinces me (personally) to return to this practice which I gave up years ago.

I don't even do the pink panther, which was so much fun to do with the birthday child because of all the bits (having them guess what it is while making it like CaptainKid does) and all the other standard gags. It just raises the expectation of a balloon animal for the rest of the little darlings.

There are other reasons for not doing it: choking hazard, latex intolerance, popping noise, and a grand mess for the parents to clean up.

Just my very humble, personal opinion.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yes,balloons can be a pain to make but the parents will have a bit of a mess to clear up after a party anyway!. If the children are too young of course they could
choke on them but there are other choking hazards around.
I like the way balloons can spin out the time.Not many would pay me for a half hour magic show.The napkin rose is a good giveaway but not for boys!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I'm anything but a balloon "artist". I do them strictly as an add-on for a birthday show. At the end of the magic show, the Birthday child gets a literal arm-load of balloons. This lasts for about 10 minutes and is part of the show. Then everyone dismisses for cake, or presents and that is when everyone else get a balloon.

Frankly, I've never run into anyone that was latex intolerant, and the only mess generated by a balloon is if it breaks (mine never do Smile) Overall its great fun, adds to the event, and adds to my bottom line.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I do balloons for 3/4 of the birthday parties I do. It's an upsell and gets some more $$$$ in the proper way: you earn them. I do NOT pass out the balloons myself or get the kids to form a line, or take requests. I tell the kids that they will each get a balloon when it's time to go home. They will get to see lots of balloons and there is no rush to decide which one they would like. I have a 15 minute sequence of balloon sculpture which is a little show in itself. I do the same balloons every time, in the same order, and use as many jokes, gags, and bits of business as I can to keep it fun to watch. During this time I make about 10 animals. I also make a bunch of balloons at home and bring them along bagged up. Some of these are dupes of the ones they will see made, but many are not. They are the more time consuming ones that I don't want to do during the show. I make these at home, usually the morning of the show, but sometimes the day before. I occasionally do find a balloon has popped, but it's hardly ever more than one or two in a batch which can be from 10 to 50 balloons. When I book the gig, I get an approximate head count. If they want balloons, this becomes very important. As I always call my clients the day before the show to confirm all of the arrangements and just to let them know I haven't forgotten, I get a fresh count. Between the ones I make during the sculpting segment, and the premade ones, I want to have at least 6 or 8 extra figures. So I make lots of dupes of the easier and faster ones. Boys love swords (or "light Sabres")and they are very fast to make so I'll do a lot of those for big parties.

At the venue, it's VERY important to be sure that the balloons do not get passed out while I'm still there. I will go to great lengths to prevent that happening. As others have observed, the moment some kids get their balloon they will break it and come immediately to you and want another. If you comply, a new line will form and you can be a long time trying to get away. I try to park my van very close to the load in door whether the party is in a home or another venue. If I suspect the balloons may be a problem, I'll take the big bag or two of balloons out to the van with me with my first load. Then, I'll load everything up, and when I'm ready to hit the road, I'll go back in to say good bye and bring the balloons with me. I'll locate the host, collect my check if I haven't gotten it yet, and then I will give the balloons to the host, reminding them that it's important not to pass the balloons out until the party is over and the kids are leaving. If they are not sure why, I have a simple and truthful rap which explains it. Some kids will break their balloons and there will be no one to make them another once I'm gone. Some will set them down to eat or jump in the party jump, and another kid will take it. They are not happy with their first choice. The boys will start sword fights with the swords and this can get pretty rambunctious. Most anyone gets the picture right away and will at least delay passing out the balloons long enough for me to get out the front door.

In California, a lot of families have their birthday parties outdoors in a park. Often, other kids drift over to watch the magic show. And no one minds particularly. But, If I were to have the kids line up and make balloons and pass them out, what do we do with the kids that are not a part of the party? You look really mean if you don't give them one, but if you do, they'll run back to their own group and soon kids from all over the park will be coming over to get a balloon. And so bagging them up becomes important.

I also abandoned the idea of having the pre made balloons in a clear bag a long time ago. As soon as you bring that in, the kids will see the balloons inside and some, particularly very young ones will be all over that bag and trying to get the balloons out. But with an opaque black or green garbage bag, they have no idea what's in it. Besides, I am going to make some of the same balloons during the show, and I want the figures I create to be a surprise.

To reiterate the prime point. What do you do while you are making balloon animals? You entertain the audience just as you should be doing when you are performing magic. Incidentally, a lot of times you get adults watching your birthday party shows along with the kids. I've got lots of lines for the adults, including when I'm sculpting balloons. While your first job may be to entertain the kids, don't forget that it's adults that hire you to perform at the children's parties. If you can keep them interested and get them to stick around for the show, they are far more likely to think of you when they are throwing a party.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
And I'll tell you, Rock Slatestone can really dance. when he dances he breaks everything around him. Smile
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Great ideas Mr.Loomis Thank you.One line that always gets a smile or a laugh with
women when I say it anyway is ''I'm sorry I can't make what you want''
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 08:39, Markymark wrote:
One line that always gets a smile or a laugh with
women when I say it anyway is ''I'm sorry I can't make what you want''

I don't get it?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I don't know what goes on in most womens minds to be honest but I think they smirk
or giggle that I may be talking about a vibrator or a model of Brad Pitt or...I
don't really know but I used to hear magicians saying how lines that work for one
person will not work for another and I found that out with this line'' I'm sorry
I can't make what you want! [from a balloon]
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I see -- Not that I would use this line, but I believe the way to deliver that line is to look at the woman (who hasn't asked you for anything), smirk and say "I'm sorry...I can't make what YOU want."

Is that sort of what you do, Markymark?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Exactly! And it's the ONLY thing I say that may have overtones as I do want to get
booked again! The great Don Alan had some lines that had a 'double-entrande' that
he would get smirks or giggles with but when other magicians used the lines the spectators
would stare back blankly but some magicians keep using the lines anyway!!
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2007, Scott O. wrote:
I'm anything but a balloon "artist". I do them strictly as an add-on for a birthday show. At the end of the magic show, the Birthday child gets a literal arm-load of balloons. This lasts for about 10 minutes and is part of the show. Then everyone dismisses for cake, or presents and that is when everyone else get a balloon.

I can do really elaborate balloons -- I've even lectured on the topic for magicians -- but I'm with you. These days I do it only for the upsell. I've got my system refined really tight. I make really fun balloons, but they're fairly simple ones that are quick to do so they can be done in a relatively short amount of time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, digging up a 13-year old thread and link for that? Lol
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Well, as said before, <> Balloon <> -"" !!POP !!""' < CRY >- so I did away with balloons and learned to do quick cartooning and draw requested animals - which they take home and put on the fridg. Each sheet has my contact number at the bottom - Many many many added Gigs. Best Wishes for a Better 2021
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Wow, digging up a 13-year old thread and link for that? Lol

Haha, you're right! Ya' know, I often don't even realize how old the threads are, lol. Am I the only one who goes to Google and searches "site:themagiccafe.com [thing I'm looking to learn more about]", and then just gets lost in the weeds for hours and hours? Smile
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
I like surfing "the Café" - meeting people - in this isolation - communicating with other Magi - WISH though, ALL would put in their "profile" where there from - maybe we're neighbors or live/lived there?? Best to all in 2021
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
digging up a 13-year old thread

This is what I like best about the Café -- the threads never die. I get more upset when someone starts a new post concerning a topic that already has a 100 old posts. It is always fun reading through these old posts and having your eyes open wide when you come across the thoughts of Dennis Loomis or some other notable magician who is no longer with us. It keeps them alive. The Café really is a great archive. I've said it before and I will say it again: I hope it continues to be safely backed-up and archived... and I hope there are plans for its perpetuation. I only have 90 posts because all my question have already been answered... I just have to use the search feature.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What to do while making balloon animals? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL