We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cigarette manipulation - is it going obsolete? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I am just wondering whether cigarette manipulation is now dying off due to anti-smoking laws and fines for smoking indoor (and that includes smoking a cigarette on stage during the act).

What are your views on this?

Thanks!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think it may not be in the forefrnt as much as it used to be due to peopel's change in views on smoking. It also may be due in part to changes of no smoking inside many of the performance places we may be booked at.

However, a manipulator can learn to be adpative. By this I mean take the moves involved in cig. manipulation and then be creative to apply them to an object similar in shape. Once you do this, you can be totally creative but still use the same moves you have studied long ago.

I once developed a manipulation act where I wanted to use my cig. moves but I do not smoke. So Instead I came up with this funny character and his interaction with a lollipop. The lolipop at the top comes off and that goes into a billard ball sequence of changing colors. The stick then multiplied and vaniahed using cig. style moves. In the end there was an 8 ball climax only the balls all ended back up on the sticks inside of wrappers. It was a way of being creative and using what I alreay new applied to a similar shape object.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
It may be un- PC, and a lot of folks may not do it any more, but I don't think it will go away on it's own. The lit cigarette may be seen less and less, but someone who wanted to do an anti-smoking routine would certainly be with in the "socialy acceptable" realm.

I also think it depends on where you perform. In a bar where people are already smoking, it will be ok. Doing a lit cigarette routine at a lung cancer benefit probably wouldn't go over very well.

I am actually working on a cigarette routine at this time, and while my wife hates cigarette smoking, she is fascinated by the beauty of cigarette magic.

Additonally, a lot of the moves used on a cig can be done with a crayon or piece of chalk, so there are still applications for the moves, even if the cigarette itself goes away.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Thommy Razor
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
137 Posts

Profile of Thommy Razor
I used to do a cigarette routine on stage, but Colorado passed a state-wide smoking ban a year or two ago, which put a halt to that. I know a lot of people here are unhappy about that, but hey, what can you do. So now when I stand outside to smoke, I do tricks for the other smokers. I certainly hope it doesn't become obsolete, and as long as people keep the moves alive they will live on, but I've also heard a rumor that a nation-wide smoking ban is being proposed, so who knows...
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." Dr. Konklin, Konklin Mattresses
www.myspace.com/RazorInc
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Roland Henning does an absolutely brilliant "NO SMOKING" routine that is every bit a cigarette act, but could play in many places. You can find it on magic video depot.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I use crayons and chalk for children and golf or lottrey pencils for adults..Cordially,Howard
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Over here (Malaysia) the nation-wide smoking ban has not been implemented yet. I still have the opportunity to perform my cigarette-pipe routine.

I am also wondering whether the ban is in Europe too. Or other countries?

My reason for asking is for the purpose of whether my cig-pipe act should be included during my travels.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Cigarette use to be a very elegant accessory, now it is someting vulgar.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
My reason for asking is for the purpose of whether my cig-pipe act should be included during my travels.

Well, even if not allowed to do it, I don't think they can stop you from carrying the paraphanelia. Maybe you can come up with an alterante non cigarette routine that takes up about the same amount of show time and carry it as a back up.

I read somewhere recently that in some places where smoking bans exists there are exemptions for theatrical uses. Check the laws on where you're going and be prepared Smile

markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Hobson has a great routine, Funny!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I do it in my show as my finale, I work every day...really.

that fact that its not p.c. is its success.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I use http://www.woodencigars.com they have wooden cigarettes to ans they all work great! I use the cigars personally
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 17:18, Drew Manning wrote:
Quote:

Well, even if not allowed to do it, I don't think they can stop you from carrying the paraphanelia. Maybe you can come up with an alterante non cigarette routine that takes up about the same amount of show time and carry it as a back up.

I read somewhere recently that in some places where smoking bans exists there are exemptions for theatrical uses. Check the laws on where you're going and be prepared Smile

Thanks, Drew Manning. Yes, I would agree with you that a backup is necessary. Checking the laws is also necessary but sometimes it may not be easy. I guess it is wise to ask around when I am in that country.

In fact, right now, I am making my cigarette-pipe act my spare substitute. I have replaced it with something else that has exactly the same time slot and music. Safer that way, I believe.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you get hired to do a cigarette act, you must perform a cigarette act. I would think the person who hires you knows the laws and would follow them.

The whole 'mystery' to cigarette magic is the you are using real fire on the end of the cigarette. Nothing can replace this intense mystery. It is a shame if wonderful magic has to driven out.

The bubble man was recently on David Letterman. He lit a cigarette, but told the audience it was a herbal cigarette and therefore not tobacco.

So maybe we can all use herbal cigarette, I have to go to my local tobacco store and check if there is such a thing.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
So maybe we can all use herbal cigarette, I have to go to my local tobacco store and check if there is such a thing.

Well, where I come from, an "herbal cigarette" will surely get you a date with a judge Smile LOL

He may have been referring to a clove cigarette which I know to exisit althouhg they may be hard to find. There are also cigarettes that come from India and the Middle East that are called Bidis or Sher Bidis (sp?) depending on who you talk to and which manufacturer. These are made of herbs too, but look like a joint wrapped in dry tree leaf, and not so much a cigarette.

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 11:44, wmhegbli wrote:
If you get hired to do a cigarette act, you must perform a cigarette act. I would think the person who hires you knows the laws and would follow them.

The whole 'mystery' to cigarette magic is the you are using real fire on the end of the cigarette. Nothing can replace this intense mystery. It is a shame if wonderful magic has to driven out.

The bubble man was recently on David Letterman. He lit a cigarette, but told the audience it was a herbal cigarette and therefore not tobacco.

Hello Bill.

Herbal cigarette is a good idea. I'll try to find out where to get them too.

I would agree with you that the beauty of cigarett manipulation is the magical appearances of lighted cigarettes, cigars and pipes. The impact is more powerful as compared to just normal cigarettes that are not lighted.

I have been performing my cigarette act since the 1990's and always get a good response (possibly it is because of the lit cigarettes). Over here in my country I can still perform the act. But I am not sure if I can do so in other countries.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
I have been performing my cigarette act since the 1990's and always get a good response (possibly it is because of the lit cigarettes). Over here in my country I can still perform the act. But I am not sure if I can do so in other countries.

You may also find that the laws vary from one part of a country to another. For instance, here in the States, California has had a public smoking ban for many years now. Here in New Mexico where I live, it goes in effect tomorrow. I am from North Carolina, where tobacco is major cash crop, so there the smoking laws tend to be much more relaxed.

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I guess, we all have to be on the toe on the anti smoking laws. Otherwise the fines for smoking each cigarette on stage may be more than our performance fees ... LOL
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Well then you have to ask yourself, if the fine for smoking is $50 and you're getting $500 to play the gig, do you take it on the chin for the fine (assuming you're caught) just to be able to do what you want? Smile

jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
237 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Perhaps I'm a bit too late to join in on this subject but I still do cigarette manipulation (yes, lit) in many of my shows in Las Vegas and corporate shows on the road.

After many 1000's of shows. . here's the real skinny:

In most performing venues, there's no smoking allowed. Even if the hotel lobby or bar allows it, never in the performance venue UNLESS you have a fire permit (which I do for the state of Nevada) and a fire-marshall does a pre-show inspection and allows it after viewing the act.

So. . . without seeming totally a rebel, I will say that in most places I totally ignore the above restrictions since my smoking segment is under 2 minutes long and by the time someone may notice what's happening the fire is out. There are some places in Vegas where I wouldn't take that chance since I know the staff, management, etc..

I prelude the routine with talk about the new smoking laws and how there are worse things we could be doing. Then, I do a tongue-in-cheek routine where I'm trying to be super-cool with the cigarette but it's just for pure comedy. I get good laughes and still get to amaze the audience with some great magic. I also use clove cigarettes which have a pleasing scent to most people. . much better than any normal tobacco.

I used to perform my fire-eating routine under the same thought process as above. That, however, is a different story since it's difficult to carry the necessary props, fluids, etc.. I hardly do the fire-eating anymore for this reason.

Oh. . . .one more thing to watch out for . . . . . smoke-alarms. Low ceilings and lit-cigarette magic do not mix!

Now. . . DO NOT do any of the above! (disclaimer - disclaimer - disclaimer)
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cigarette manipulation - is it going obsolete? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL