We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cigarette manipulation - is it going obsolete? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21845 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Jeff, it is always great to hear from a working professional.

I believe it was Tom Knotty, the bubble man on television, he was 'all the rage years back, appeared at many magic conventions as well.

The new law here in town just went into effect this month. It is on a tattle-tail basis, so by the time the law arrives, you cigarettes will be out. Most acts only last a few minutes.

The fine here is $125 for the 1st offense and goes up each time you are caught.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
Perhaps I'm a bit too late to join in on this subject but I still do cigarette manipulation (yes, lit) in many of my shows in Las Vegas and corporate shows on the road.

Ever run into any tpye of issues at all? How do you handle them is so?

Our state wide smoking ban goes in to effect today, and I have been working on a cig routine as an opener for a bar/club show I'm putting together. I'm thinking of taking a stance of civil disobedience in the name if art, however I can't afford to tarnish my name before it's even known....
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 19:44, Drew Manning wrote:
Well then you have to ask yourself, if the fine for smoking is $50 and you're getting $500 to play the gig, do you take it on the chin for the fine (assuming you're caught) just to be able to do what you want? Smile

Eventhough I get fined and if I can still profit from it ... YES I will still do my cigarette act LOL! Worth it, isn'it?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 04:41, jeffhobson wrote:

Oh. . . .one more thing to watch out for . . . . . smoke-alarms. Low ceilings and lit-cigarette magic do not mix!

Now. . . DO NOT do any of the above! (disclaimer - disclaimer - disclaimer)

Oh, yes, that is another thing to watch out - and not only smoke alarms but also water sprinkler systems install in low ceilings. A small little fire routine can trigger it.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2007-06-14 15:32, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-13 19:44, Drew Manning wrote:
Well then you have to ask yourself, if the fine for smoking is $50 and you're getting $500 to play the gig, do you take it on the chin for the fine (assuming you're caught) just to be able to do what you want? Smile

Eventhough I get fined and if I can still profit from it ... YES I will still do my cigarette act LOL! Worth it, isn'it?

Well, simple economics would say yes! However, I think the risk of becoming known as an inconisderate or trouble maker might weigh into the decsion as well. Of course, if they wnat to give me a stink over a cigarette or two, I guess we'll go to real dager magic like bullet catching Smile

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I wish I can do the bullet catching act but unfortunately it will put me to jail immediately because of my country's strict laws (dangerous weapons act).

So I'll take the risks with my cigarette act Smile
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
What a shame that laws can put such a restriction on our art.

What about paintball markers? Assuming they're leagal for you, I have an idea that while not quite as "dangerous" will still have almost the same effect.

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Unfortunately we have too many restrictive laws. Even the swords used for the 3 swords suspension needs a license for them to be used in magic performances.

Paintball markers? Anything that look or function like a gun is a no-no here. How sad!
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
How sad? How frightening! We too easily allow our behavior to be restricted for our own protection. And yes, a world without squirt guns will definitely be sad.
Learn something new everyday.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I was thinking...could cigarette manipulations be done with french fries? I was also thinking maybe some multiplying ketchup cups (the little ones at fast food joints) would be cool..and a Zombie Hamburger.

Can you tell I was hungry when I came up with this?

T.G. Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

I was thinking...could cigarette manipulations be done with french fries? I was also thinking maybe some multiplying ketchup cups (the little ones at fast food joints) would be cool..and a Zombie Hamburger.

T.G. Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

T.G. Danton
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

T.G. Danton
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

T.G. Danton
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just wondering why you have 4 same posts, Danton? Did you click the submit button many times?
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Opps...sorry about that!

It was my computer, last night it was doing a lot of really weird things. I actually only pushed the button once, but it did that anyway. I apologize again.

Maybe a moderator can delete three of them? =>
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I just push this button in the center of the deck, and four aces magically rise to the top, one at a time.

=D
Learn something new everyday.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Um...not to be rude, but what has that got to do with cigarettes? (just kidding!)

I want one of those decks though. It sounds awesome!

T.G. Danton
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-17 01:20, WoodRat wrote:
I just push this button in the center of the deck, and four aces magically rise to the top, one at a time.

=D

That's a nice one! LOL
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Here is what the law says here in Arizona.

"Smoke-Free Arizona Law
While the goal of the Smoke-Free Arizona Act is to protect Arizona’s citizens from the dangers of secondhand smoke, there are some specific public spaces where smoking will be allowed...

...Theatrical performance upon a stage or in the course of a film production or television production if the smoking is part of the performance of production " http://www.smokefreearizona.org/exemptions.asp

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cigarette manipulation - is it going obsolete? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL