The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Question on my PK Ring Strength?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I recently bought a PK Ring from Super Magnet Man (SMM) as many Café members have purchased from.

My question is, while wearing this PK Ring and a paper clip is on the table, I need to lower my hand about 1 inch to the paper clip to get any magnetic attraction going. At 1 inch, my hand is covering what the spectator is suppose to see. That is way too close!!! Too much suspicion going on, let alone, they can't see anything.

Is my PK Ring defective?? Are SMM PK Rings just this weak??? Does the Wizard PK Ring act the same way??? I mean, is this suppose be like this, or what??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
erodoeht
View Profile
New user
Adelaide, South Australia
45 Posts

Profile of erodoeht
I think 1 inch is already a very good distance because the G2 Wizard PK ring does not attract a paper clip at that distance (well at least for mine it doesn't).
It would seem that your PK ring is extremely strong, but then again, do a search in the Café for PK ring strengths, I believe someone did a comparison on the various strengths. i.e. absolute strengths and capabilities of holding up a certain amount of weight. NOT attraction distance.
That would be something interesting to experiment with and to test out.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Your problem is with the inverse square law, which is built into the universe, unfortunately.

My Wizard and Black's rings both work with about the same effective distance as yours.

The best way I've found to increase the effective working distance is to use your PK ring with an object that also has a strong neodymium magnet embedded in it. Even then, you're only going to get about two inches or so. You won't be making things jump and wiggle from two feet away. Still, two inches is enough to work through a tabletop, and that can be quite effective.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Plus, not all paperclips are made the same.
The amount of ferrous metals can change how well the magnet attracts to it.

Randi
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
What effect are you trying to perform when moving the hand wearing the PK Ring near a paper clip? When I do this the paper clip jumps onto the PK Ring. Surely this is not the effect you are trying to demonstrate.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I am just testing the strength of the PK Ring and to see if I can "move" things with my mind. I realize that certain things can "move" better with loops, but just trying to move a paper clip (as a controlled "light" object) is just an experiment to better understand the possibilities of this PK Ring. I would like to move a shimmed quarter or card. Or even crumbling a sheet of newspaper and slipping a small piece of metal shim (like a magnetic tin foil) in it and moving that. I am not looking for some astronomical acrobatic movement, just a slight movement that shows something did happen.... My hand is way too close to the object to accomplish that illusion.

Maybe I was just expecting more with the PK Ring than what is possible with it. Besides stopping a watch, Prohibition and Scorpion.... What else is possible then with this utility gimmick???
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use mine for a bottle cap into the bottle trick.

Jim
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Randirain (see above) has some tricks for sale that use the PK Ring. I don't know if any of them involve moving objects. I've seen large magnets strapped to the wrist or upper leg used to achieve movement of shimmed objects. Usually there is a surface, the spectator's hand or a table top, between the magnet and the object to be moved.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
My effects are currently not for download, as they will be on DVDs really soon.

There is actually many things you can do with the PK ring.
You just have to think outside the box.

What I like to do...
is put the ring in a situation that you would normally wouldn't think of.
Such as, the pk ring and slush powder.
Then try to see what your brain comes up with.

Any way...
I am almost done with the recording and editing.

There are a total of 8 effects.
The main ones are...
Bill Shift, Jigger Not, Repeal, and flying matches.
Others are...
Card Mend, Z-fork, heavy air, and coinage.

Just like airship and Randwill said...
Add a neo-magnet to something and you can make it move.

I know Wizard PK has ink pens with little neo-magnets in the ends.
You can balance them on stuff and make them move.
Which really looks cool.
You probably can only buy the pens from them though.
I do know they were not able to sell them to Murphys, do to another product that they already carried.
but, they are not that hard to make.

Randi
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
WHere can I purchase these "Neo-Magnets"??
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Just for added input,
I only bought a PK ring because I saw what Randi had come up with.
Truly some amazing stuff.
When the DVD comes out, you can be sure I'm getting it. It's like a PK ring bible....
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Ahh... thanks Aaron.
Your checks in the mail. Smile

Oh... and neo-magnets.

Just look up neodymium magnets.
There are plenty of places.

Randi
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I have ordered magnets from this place:

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/index.asp

and SuperMagnetMan has more than just the PK Rings so browse his inventory.

I like the 2" x 2" x 1/4" square neodym magnets. I glue one, with contact cement, to a piece of leather that is cut to fit in my back pants pocket. (I've made several for different style pants and left or right pockets.) It is glued to the edge of the leather piece so that the magnet stays in the same place closer to my side. I cover the exposed surface of the magnet with a piece of self-adhesive felt. I can now ditch knives, steel core coins, bent bottle caps (Prohibition) and anything else metal or magnetic onto it.

Also check your local Radio Shack for the small neodym magnets to put into objects.
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I've bought a good selection from here;

http://www.uk-magnet.com/
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 19:15, randirain wrote:
My effects are currently not for download, as they will be on DVDs really soon.

Hello. Do you have a target date for this?

Thanks,
Mitch
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Hopefully next month.

It all depends on how fast they can be printed and marketed.

I am almost done with the filming and editing.

Randi
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Hi

I was very interested to read this post and subsequent responses. I live in the UK. I am a big fan of the Wizard G2 PK ring and am a member of the PK ring message board. Your question has already been answered - you need to add some neodymium magnets to small objects to get the effect you want. Try shoveling a small stack of them in to a small tomato and make it roll around the table. You can buy PK pens from Wizard, but why not simply buy a cheep bic or biro, open it up, snit a bit off the top of the refill and place a magnet there - you can make the pen spin on a bottle top or roll it across he table.

As I say, I love the PK ring but I generally do not use it for PK effects - why not try a 'wave-of-the-hand copin transposition' using an expanded shell over a smaller coin. We are fortunate in the UK in that our 'brown' coins are steel core so there are dozens of effects we can do utilizing this resource. My personal favourite at the moment is a 'beer bottle cap-in-bottle effect using my PK ring.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Question on my PK Ring Strength?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL