The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Any Idea for a Black Scrying Mirror? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
I picked one up on e-bay, it is basically a 8"x11" photo frame with black painted glass.

I figure there is something that could be done with.

Thanks in advance
Ed Smile
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Ed,

I have one too. There is a lot that can be done with it. I have mostly used a really nice, huge crystal ball for the same purpose. The function of a spectacular prop like this is to draw focus (in the theatrical, not the occult, sense). When you take out this object by candlelight and handle it so carefully, the people watching you, let us call them the sitters, have just had the reset buttons on their minds pushed. They may not accurately recall that earlier business with the clipboards, the little slips of paper, the envelopes, whatever.

They are here, now, with you, the reader. They are going to watch you slowly draw aside the veil between that which is known and that which is unknown. You will carefully reach across that cold void to grasp - the future, the contents of their hearts! It's incredible that they should live to see this!

I certainly hope you weren't asking how to gaff it. Why bother? It's perfect now. Work on yourself...

Yours,

Paul
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
The original black scrying mirror was made out of polished black obsidian. Dr Dee's is kept in the British Museum. People also used bowls of ink, and would peer into the murky surface, by candlelight. A bizarrist could use a foul smelling dark green liquid, and call it bile.

I largely agree with Paul. We don't really need to 'do' anything with these objects, other than use them as nature intended. However, as you'll know, there are several tricks that use a gaffed piece of glass, and/ or a picture frame, so any of these could be adapted.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hey there, Ed --

What a great prop! As the others have said, its most useful function is probably as an object to gaze into and foretell the future.

Dr. Wilson's application of it to a reading setting is very smart. If you're looking for other applications, think of all the effects you know that involve predicting what will happen. Now, consider restructuring one of them so that you begin by introducing the function of the scrying mirror, gazing into it, and writing down your prediction. That done, commence with the effect, and finish by revealing the prediction your mirror-gazing produced. Could be quite an effective presentation.

It was terrific seeing you at the SAM meeting. See you next month!

Another idea -- for a more visual revelation, you could use a solution on the mirror being marketed as "Impromptu Ghost Glass" (I saw it on Vikingmagic.com).

At an effect's conclusion, you can breathe on the glass or have a participant do it, and a predicted word (a tarot card, for instance) or the dead name in a living & dead test (!) can appear on the mirror's surface.

Have fun!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Neil, great idea. Didn't M. ye M, do something with a clear disk being placed on a participants palm, on which a pentagram materialised? Anyone remember this?

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Try getting to your show early and after you are done setting up, sit down and scry a prediction that happens at the end of your show. The few people that see you do this are going drop jaw when the prediction hits. So scry and have a guest write down what you say and seal it in an envelope to be opened later. Of course you can have the spectator read it at their seat and leave the show with a wonderful gift!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Any Idea for a Black Scrying Mirror? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL