The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » "Edgeworn" coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
174 Posts

Profile of Pathian
Hey all,
I got a set of Johnson hopping halves recently, and I noticed something about the half dollar that was nexted in the e[. The "corners" of the coin, that is to say the line between each face of the coin and the edge, are noticably rounded. The coin itself doesn't seem thinner than a normal half, but the rounding gives it significantly better side coverage when it's nested. Does anyone know if Johnson does something specific to its joins to give them this property? I'd be interested to see if a set of choins like this is available for purchase. It looks fairly worn down (ie, not machined/ground recently). And I have other halves from the same year, so I know the rounding is atypical. Any insights anyone else has would be appreciated
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Pathian,
I know what you mean. I received one of these "rounded-edged" halfs from Johnson also. Can't remember which set it came with. And you're right, it does look different than generic halves of the same year ( they're clad of course). That's one of the reasons I don't like it. It doesn't match my other halves. The difference is small, but it's there. And it is, at least as I know,specific to Johnson. You'll have to contact them. Don't forget, they don't have a web-site. You'll have to call them. I don't have their number. You may have a hard time, at least in my opinion, of trying to explain it to them though. Don't know that for sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Just thought I'd let you know that I had also run across this variation.
Jim.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
The ex-----d s---l should work with any half. Just find one you like.
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » "Edgeworn" coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL