We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Talking to others locally about magic is hard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I have located a ring here it only meets once a month ,there are some nice people in the ring ,one is a gospel Magician that is really nice.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
As you travel deeper into this art, you wll find yourself enriched by many other magicians you connect with. Enjoy.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 22:16, Andy the cardician wrote:

If there are no magic shops in Oslo - you might have discovered a market demand . . .

I actually learnt yesterday that there is one single magic shop in this country after all and today I went there. Through the pusher street, took a right by the second group of hookers, then into a back alley. I read a sign, pushd a doorbell, identified myself and then climbed stairs and went to the end of a looong corridor. And there it was. Crosby Magic. More of an office/show room than a shop really, but he even sold Genii Magazine and Bicycle decks and everything. Not bad.

There is an entire world under my feet that I have been unaware of. Local jargon... meetings. Who would have known.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'm find that humility is the best policy when getting to know magic folk! My first trip to Hollywood Magic I informed the salesman/magician that I was a raw novice and that I wanted a few things that I could get a grip on easily while I studied and practiced material he might recommend. He became more gracious and began advising more than selling and by doing so he ended up gaining my trust and I gladly gave him my money. My 2nd trip provided an even warmer welcome and after a pro finished buying some props the salesman spent about 45 mins one on one with me.
The local SAM meets the first and third Mon. of every month so I plan to attend this coming Mon. and I'll report back after!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 17:04, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 22:16, Andy the cardician wrote:

If there are no magic shops in Oslo - you might have discovered a market demand . . .

I actually learnt yesterday that there is one single magic shop in this country after all and today I went there. Through the pusher street, took a right by the second group of hookers, then into a back alley. I read a sign, pushd a doorbell, identified myself and then climbed stairs and went to the end of a looong corridor. And there it was. Crosby Magic. More of an office/show room than a shop really, but he even sold Genii Magazine and Bicycle decks and everything. Not bad.

There is an entire world under my feet that I have been unaware of. Local jargon... meetings. Who would have known.

well done
Cards never lie
Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
I live in Perth, Western Australia. To my knowledge there isn't a dedicated magic store anywhere in this state (although I could be wrong). I guess there are a few magicians around town but I certainly wouldn't know where to meet them. I'm doing okay tinkering along teaching myself, but dang it would be nice to have a chat with someone even just for ten minutes and get a little guidance.

But hey, I ain't complaining. At least thanks to the internet I can order books etc online, so it's not all bad!
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Having now looked a little into the fringes of the Norwegian magic world, it does sort of seem like a door through which I am reluctant to go. I mean... as much as I would enjoy talking to someone face to face about different magic related things, I don't really know if I want to become close friends with any baloon folding weirdos with silly hats. Smile

Further more I know from my other interests that most Norwegians aren't really that interested in details surrounding odd little things. So I suspect that I will get more out of a pass discussion in these forums than in a meeting.

I could of course be wrong. Also they have seminars with Tom Stone and things like that, which could be interesting. But you have to actually audition for the Magic Circle here in Norway. I don't know...

Most things I have learnt in life I have figured out myself. I'm not a group person. I know from other things I do that the people in the photo clubs here, for instance, are always the least interesting photographers.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Well I went to check out the local Magic Circle group here tonight but the only meetings goin on at the place noted by the SAM web site were square dancers and an AA meeting. Gonna head down to Hollywood tomorrow and maybe check into a membership at the Castle after a bit of window shopping (yeah right) at HW Magic.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 13:03, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
Having now looked a little into the fringes of the Norwegian magic world, it does sort of seem like a door through which I am reluctant to go. I mean... as much as I would enjoy talking to someone face to face about different magic related things, I don't really know if I want to become close friends with any baloon folding weirdos with silly hats. Smile

Further more I know from my other interests that most Norwegians aren't really that interested in details surrounding odd little things. So I suspect that I will get more out of a pass discussion in these forums than in a meeting.

I could of course be wrong. Also they have seminars with Tom Stone and things like that, which could be interesting. But you have to actually audition for the Magic Circle here in Norway. I don't know...

Most things I have learnt in life I have figured out myself. I'm not a group person. I know from other things I do that the people in the photo clubs here, for instance, are always the least interesting photographers.

Well, there are quite a few of us (here in Norway) that don't fold balloons or wear silly hats...
Some of us are even seriously into cards & close-up!
The "Magic Circle Norway" (MCN) is not a large club, but few of us bite...
And you don't have to audition right away. I wasn't even asked to do that for the first couple of years.
Why not try us?
Feel free to send me a PM if you're interrested!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Talking to others locally about magic is hard (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL