The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Flying Without Edits » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
What I mean is that tries to make it real in ineterviews and such, but it looks pretty fake during the effects themselves.

Copperfield flying seems very real, and he doesn't even say anything during that. Criss says it's real, but the effect looks like some bad Hollywood movie.

That's the difference between a good magician who wants people to be amazed, and one who only wants to show off.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Ya I can certainly understand and agree with that point. It would have been much better had it been ONE shot.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
The video page wont even load for me.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
So get a new computer.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Quote:
On 2007-06-08 10:53, chichi711 wrote:
Phil your post struck me as odd in a lot of ways, but do you honestly think when someone makes a blue card turn red that people think it is real? I could go on and on with magic examples here, but I don't feel like I need to. Only a small percentage of people actually think "holly crap Criss just flew". Go read the thread talking about if the audience is smarter then we think they are?

Hey Chichi,

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I meant by the "audience reaction". It looked too fake for an effect of the magnatude he was trying to bring forth. I know if I actually saw someone do that for real, I wouldn't just stand there and say "holy crap...look at that" and then go about my business. I know for a fact that I would be freaking out. The reactions just didn't seem real enough for the effect. But yeah, I agree with you 100%. We all need to make our magic look real. If it doesn't look real, then we are doing something wrong. You make a great point my friend!

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
They don't always get it right about CA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo4S5trKZMM

BTW he didn't levitate 15 (or whatever) stories. It seemed to me that he was perched 15 stories in the air and then floated another 20-30 feet and suspended himself there. The decent looked better in my mind even with its faults!
IMHO Flying is still the world's champion as far levitations are concerned! Smile
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I think what we all seem to be missing is that this show is for LAYMEN. Yes, we can analyze his performance and lack of presentation, but I doubt everyone that witnessed the illusions that he showed were stooges. All it takes is one person to be amazed and he has done his job. The moment of astonishment.

Maybe I just read the Paul Harris article in MAGIC one to many times this month...

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
...All it takes is one person to be amazed and he has done his job. The moment of astonishment.

Not according to the suits at A&E.

Better be more than one person.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 22:02, meauxfeaux wrote:
Slim King, as for camera shots in front of Cris, there are long lenses for cameras that aloow them to zoom in close and such. One needn't actually be directly in front of the subject to acquire such a shot.
*snip*

That camera shot in fromt of him up close isn't a zoom from a distant camera.As a photographer I can confirm,looking at depth of field and other unimportant rubbish Smile
Jazz
View Profile
Veteran user
Mexico City
377 Posts

Profile of Jazz
The Levitations seemed too "mechanic" for my taste. Didn´t care much for them. I have always liked "The bike to girls" illusion. Hardly original, but pretty cool. Thanks for getting rid of the SPOV cam. At least the "continuous shot cam" is less annoying. I see that the "hi Mom" and "these has never been attempted before" has been brought back from last season. Ouchh! And his "NOW!!!" screams also. Could have done without them. Wow, I sound like a hard critic. Still I really like the guy, honest. What I liked most was the Cirque du Soleil preview.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Very interesting, Criss. Good luck with the stage show.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I hope some of his fans will ask him to do his Mindfreak effects on stage.

That should be funny.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
I don't know of any performer who does an on-request stage show, though. Sounds like this production will feature the Cirque troupe quite heavily as well, so I'm sure it will be less of a 'light entertainment' family magic show, and more of a 'spectacle'.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'd like to know how many people here have ever actually edited any type of video themselves? In my experience editing video, if that was done as one shot ... it would be exteremely BORING!

The human mind expects to see multiple angles when watching video. You watch a baseball game and you see the pitcher wind up ... then they cut to show you the batter hit the ball ... then you see the outfielder assume the pose ... they cut to show you the batter running for the base, then back to the outfielder scrambling to recover the ball and throw it to the baseman ... then you see batter's foot hit the bag just as the ball is caught ... you see the umpire motion "SAFE" and a final cut shows the fans on their feet cheering.

Now, imagine the same thing only as one shot ... BORING! To get all of that in one frame the ball would be so tiny you wouldn't even be able to see it.

Regardless of what your opinion of Chris Angel is, you should at least acknowledge that to present magic on TV it must be done in an entertaining way for the audience to enjoy it.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4320 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Criss's original "Mindfreak" show off of Broadway was pretty "Cirque"-ish already.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 13:14, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Criss's original "Mindfreak" show off of Broadway was pretty "Cirque"-ish already.

It was also much more impressive and entertaining than the stuff I see him do on tv lately, imo.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20290 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-07 20:21, Harlequin wrote:
No sane person would believe that anyone could levitate with that much heavy jewelry on. Smile

You fool that is HOW HE LEVITATES!!!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 10:25, JoeJoe wrote:

Regardless of what your opinion of Chris Angel is, you should at least acknowledge that to present magic on TV it must be done in an entertaining way for the audience to enjoy it.

-JoeJoe

People like to watch magic as if it happened right before their eyes.. it's not going to happen if the shot changes every 2 seconds because that would make it seem very suspicious and ruin the illusion. There's a big difference between watching sports and watching a magic show.

Besides, it's pretty obvious that most of the edits are made for the effect to work, just like in this case. Notice how the shot changes helped them add the m*****.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cfg1SCHKwp0
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20290 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 10:25, JoeJoe wrote:

-JoeJoe

This is true. I agree completly. I believe that Criss' OVERUSE of the camera crutch, takes away from its entertainment value for everyone. Note I say OVERUSE. Not USE.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Out of interest, Danny, where would you draw the 'usage' line? When does it become overuse? Just curious; 'tis quite a topical question in today's TV climate. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Criss Angel Flying Without Edits » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL