The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » So where's the hollow coin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Folks, I'm hardly a "non-gaff" kinda guy.

Look at the praise offered to Curtis Kam's Inferential Copper Silver Transpo.
Look at the coins through table method in Apocalypse.
Look at all the discussion of using a nesting set on a pull for the VCA.

Then there's lots of unpublished stuff.

Always about the effect.

ALWAYS

All I suggest is that you use the gaffs to strongest effect and in a way that offers the least chance of them getting dropped or otherwise exposed by being fussed over like fragile things instead of the common solid metal items everybody believes them to be.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Brian, that's what I'm thinking. I don;t think that makes it not good by any means. I think it mean you have to think about "who" you are performing for, and determine if the nature of the routine is a problem for that bunch or not
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I agree that it doesn't make it any less good. It seems like a "close up show" would be the best environment for this effect. You've got a table, you can sit if you'd like, people are there for the purpose of seeing magic. I think that lends itself better to the effect. It is a genius effect; no denying that.
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
Joshua, sorry I did't see it but what routine did you do?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Triune
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
I have a friend like that. He has too know everything. I hate thoses people lol. I look at them with a dead straight face and say "wrong".
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
I have a friend like that. He has too know everything. I hate thoses people lol. I look at them with a dead straight face and say "wrong".
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 05:17, viris wrote:
I look at them with a dead straight face and say "wrong".

Sometimes I look them right in the eye and say "man, that's a great idea! I'm going to look into doing it like that!"
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
Joshua, don't be offended by what I am about to say but when someone comes up to you and demands a trick, you need to make sure you have it down PERFECTLY, or don't do it. It is unfair to your spectators and unfair to you to be put on the spot like that. Say something like "would you go up to a proctologist and ask him to demonstrate his skills on you?"

It sounds to me as though there was a 'tell' in your performance and I think I agree with Jonathan that it may well have been the coins 'talking' which is very easy to do with this kind of gimmick.

I would also do as dan watkins says and find an opportunity to do the exact same trick again for this guy but using only sleights this time. Make sure he inspects the coins himself - even better - borrow his coins to do it.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Accully I have triune down pretty well, and there was no talking that I was aware. I drop the coins on each other so the sound is covered completly if there is a sound. I never seen a lay person think, that coin sounds like a "insert gaff". most poeple don't; know a silver coin when they hear it. and I don;t think you know this trick put its like invisible palm aces with coins, I'm not sure of any method to do it with SOH
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
I think everyone's reading way too much into this. Some people are just smart. Some people can figure things out. Do you expect people to watch a trick and not try to figure it out? Especially intelligent people in the "data analytics department"? To expect "lay people" as a blanket term to all be amazed and dumbfounded by a trick (even a well-performed one) is far too ambitious. You're going to encounter people with IQ's anywhere from 60 to 160. Analytical people, engineers, machinists etc. ARE going to be able to occasionally grasp a concept of a "hollow coin" on occasion and it doesn't mean you failed. Heck the guy may have gotten a squirting nickel out of a vending machine 30 years ago and therefore has some exposure to the concept that not all coins are as they seem. Analytical, intelligent and logical people are occasionally going to come up with viable solutions to a problem set before them. It doesn't mean that they would instantly have the skill to duplicate the trick and it doesn't mean you performed it poorly. Give your friend/coworker some credit for being intelligent and observant, don't tell him he was right, and make a mental note that might govern what (if any) tricks you perform in front of him in the future.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
I agree with mysterioii, I work a lot with engineering type people and even though they have seen nothing, after a few minutes of thinking they would come up with some very clever ideas where the coins went, and to be honest, they would hit the dime on the head most of the time. And before the thread starts back up.... I would ask them because they are my "goto" guys when I'm ready to perform a routine. Do not underestimate people.. I mean those of you who are professional magicians... you are only magicians, and there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to skills that these sooo called laymen possess.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
For example, "Popular Science" this month included an article for sanding the edge of a penny then using sulfuric acid to desolve the zinc core, leaving you with a (very thin) copper penny shell, just for fun. Now many thousands of scientifically-minded people have not only been exposed to shell coins but have been taught how to make one (without machining).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

The hollow coin is right next to the one that can turn inside out.
Can you tell which is which?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

I like that jon =D
whateverisisright
View Profile
Regular user
Savannah, Georgia
132 Posts

Profile of whateverisisright
While it's spawned an interesting conversation, I tend to believe we're overthinking this guy's response. I'm under the impression it was a shot-in-the-dark thought that the guy meant almost as a joke (cause who's ever heard of a hollowed out coin!?).

Of course, only Joshua will know whether he performed the effect up to par and whether or not the man had a serious tone/appearance/etc... But the replies are great...especially the "The hollow coin is right next to the one that can turn inside out. Can you tell which is which?" reply...classic.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
816 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 05:17, viris wrote:
I know how you feel man! those kind of people should be tied to a train track and when you see the train comming ask them if they know the exscape trick as well. HA HA Didn't think so...
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Overthink?

You prefer we willfully ignore?

How about understanding by asking them and then listening?

Surely folks so clever as to entertain with conjuring are also wise enough to ask "What lead you to believe that there's some sort of hollow coin involved in that routine?"
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

In fact I did ask him that in a round about way. he said its the only possiable souition he could come up with
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Here's a fun thing to pull on folks who think they know...

First look up my "coin go-return"

Start by handling the coins gingerly and by their rims.

Then, when it comes time to do the vanish, place the right hand coin on the closed fist, fingers side up. Now when you open your hand, the visible coin settles into the palm and the wise acres will think you have a gaff and it just nested.

Continue as usual and at the end gingerly table the coins again handling by their rims and ask how good they look.

You know what happens next in their imagination when they turn over the coins.

;)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » So where's the hollow coin? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL