The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sopranos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
So who watched the final episode with its
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I kinda liked the way they
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
When I read a book, it never disappoints. There is always closure. I have enjoyed the final episodes of several series (e.g., 'The Newhart Show', 'Frasier', 'Friends', etc.). However, HBO has disappointed me twice now. First, with their abysmal so-called ending to 'Carnivale' and now with the ending to 'The Sopranos'. This ending didn't disappoint too much as I watched the first season and a few episodes of the second. Then I ignored the series until the last few episodes. When I started watching again, it was if I'd never left (reminding me of those soaps). But in the end, I just didn't care. Just made a mental note. Ignore HBO and their 'Original Series'. But that's just me. I think I'll go get a book to read.
Coram Deo
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I did not get to watch it but I guess I don't have to worry about ever watching re-runs due to the fact that a co-worker revealed just about every surprise there was. I was a captive audience for this spoiler and repeated plea's to not say anymore fell on deaf ear's.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How about the series that came on just after?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The series has several unfinished stories, I am not sure why this was shocking. The Doctor's rape, lots of lose ends. Life is not nice and neat. I think that was more his point.

That being said, it wasn't life, it was a TV show so I wanted it nice and neat!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If you were paying attention, it was the perfect ending.

Recall the conversation with Bobby and Tony...speculating that when the end comes you'll never know it...it all just goes BLACK.

Tony took a bullet to the brain (note the music stopped abruptly as well.)

Perfection.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I've been to all those joints, you know since I live here. The place is really an old fashion ice cream parlor, not a Diner, located in Bloomfield. I don't remember seeing any juke boxes on the table tops? But then again, I haven't been there in a while.

Give me a shout out when in north Jersey and I'll take you on the tour!
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
People are up in arms about the ending, but I loved it. Chase tied up the storylines of everybody we cared about, provided lots of laughs, and squashed Phil Leotardo's head like a melon. Than he did a great trick - he made millions of people say, simultaneously, "What the f--k?!"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 16:23, Doug Higley wrote:

Perfection.

Possibly. But it could also have been a car down the street hitting a power pole which cut the juice to the joint that made everything go black.

Far from perfection.

What kind of classic would Hamlet be today if in the last scene the curtain fell just as the swords were brought out and the Queen contemplated drinking from the goblet.

Writers get paid to write, not to abandon storylines and characters to the devices of their audience.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Payne,
My cat is mysteriously staring at your avatar.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
In another thread I said MagicSanta was a cranky old fart...I should have saved it.

:)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Dallas also did a similar thing for their series finale.

Throughout the episode, J.R. (Larry Hagman) is talking to the devil, and being made to face all the evil he has committed. As it gets to the end, J.R. contemplates suicide. While J.R. is upstairs with a gun in his hand, ready to point it too his head at the encouragement of the devil in the mirror, we see his brother Bobby (Patrick Duffy) arriving home. As Bobby is headed upstairs, a gunshot is heard. Bobby rushes into the room (we don't see what Bobby sees), and remarks, "Oh my god!" Then the frame freezes, the credits roll, and the familiar Dallas music plays.

At least there, they provided a cliffhanger instead of closure. The Sopranos did neither.

Quick note: Later on, there was a Dallas reunion special, including Larry Hagman. At one point, Bobby is talking to J.R. and says, "I couldn't believe you shot up mom's favorite mirror," referencing the season finale.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've had "Don't Stop Believin'" going thru my head for the past week! AARRRgggh!!! make it stop!!! Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 16:23, Doug Higley wrote:
If you were paying attention, it was the perfect ending.

Recall the conversation with Bobby and Tony...speculating that when the end comes you'll never know it...it all just goes BLACK.

Perfection.

WOW, I hadn't thought of it like that. I think your absolutely right. That would explain the tension that was felt right up until the ending.....didn't make much sense to me at the time.....hmmmmmmmmmm
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2......_51.html

James Gandolfini Dead of Heart Attack at 51
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
What a shock. May he RIP.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not sure I am shocked.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
He was a high stress guy. Which shows, money and success are not the panacea many think they are.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Might have been something to do with flying. I liked True Romance
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sopranos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL