The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hand lotion for card manipulation (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
albrunaz
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of albrunaz
My problem is if I use a lotion hand as skinner edge creme it's better for Cardini single production and cards rollout but for splitfan is a disaster because the cards remain sticky to the second and little finger and don't succeed to bring the cards lined up behind the hand in backpalm.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I use Corn Husker's Lotion when I need better contact grip with my hands for coins, cards, or things like color changing knives. I don't have problems with split fans or back palms, it may be more your technique than the lotion. In the split fan you may need to adjust the pressure you exert. For me the back palm is dependent mostly on starting position of the card. Obviously once you use the lotion your hands are more tacky, as such the pressure you use to do your split fan and back palms will change, and you need to learn to adjust for that by practice.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Photius is right. Once you apply anything to the hand the whole thing may change. The pressure, grip, etc will have to be adjusted. You have to play around with the cards and lotion to find the necessary adjustment needed.

As for me I don't use any lotion. I just wipe my hands with a "micro-fiber" cloth. They will wipe off any stain, sweat, residue from your hands. Your hands will feel clean and you can manipulate anything you want.

Google to find out where you can buy these cloth from your nearest store.
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
313 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
I have never found the need for any lotion. I practice under the worst conditions and any environment I can find, so that I can work at any time, under any condition, and still am ready to perform. Wet hands, dry hands, it doesn't matter to me. I am just crazy like that. I have found that you can never count on conditions being perfect no matter how hard you try to control them. You just need to adjust your practice to accommodate the conditions, weather it be lotion, no AC when it is 117F outside and dry, or humid and hot, drizzling rain, snowing and cold. The more environments you practice under, and know how you, and your cards perform under those conditions is the secret.....practice.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I use Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion.

It works well for dry hands and also to make you hands a little tacky.

Here is the link; http://www.chamberlainlotion.com/.

Tony Clark says to use cheap hair spray for your fingers when doing single card productions. I've tried it and it works very well also.

David
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Go to a golf store or check out Wal-Mart, look or ask for Golfer grip lotion. It is very good to give your hands grip.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Bill, that is something I would like to experiment too, eventhough I don't use any lotion.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Sounds like Albrunez uses lotions too close to show time ... not the best plan. If your hands are dry, you're chasing a problem.

Lotions work best after a shower, preferably, when you're ready to retire for the evening.
Get a manicure from time to time. This really helps to get my hands back into shape, plus it's a pleasant experience.
For extreme dryness, after washing your hands, rub a generous amount of petroleum jelly on your hands and cover them with cotton gloves before going to bed.
POOF!
Brautigan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Brautigan
Hi all, this is my first post here at The Magic Café, so I'm a bit worried this will come off as an advert -- it's not.

I've been working with cards for my family and my own amusement for a few years, but one thing that's always been troubling for me is a lack of grip to my hands. It's not that they're extremely dry and cracked or anything, it's just -- very little to no moisture at all. I've tried quite a few products, including OKeefe's, Corn Huskers, Neutragena, etc, and what bothered me about all of them was either the tackiness of them, or how quickly their effects on my hands dissipated. Of those I did list, Corn Huskers was the one I used the longest, but I really wasn't happy with how often I had to apply it.

Last week I discovered the best hand product for card manipulation I have ever used: Gloves in a Bottle.

A dab of this stuff spread thinly over the entire hand is like putting on a new, special layer of skin. There is NO tackiness to it whatsoever, and makes your hands actually feel immediately refreshed. Instead of feeling like you have lotion on your hands, you feel like your hands have been transformed, or you've been given new ones. It's bizarre how this stuff actually FEELS on your hands -- it's kind of a "silky" feeling, but without any obvious sense of moisture other than the feel of air seeming to get through to your skin. With this stuff on my hands, my touch with the cards becomes very light and carefree. I just love it so much I had to share.
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Where do you buy this product?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-08-06 20:42, Magicdoc88 wrote:
Where do you buy this product?

You give no indication where you are in the world, so just Google 'Gloves in a Bottle' and you will get many places to purchase this product. It is not a magic product, but a consumer product easily available at many stores.
Brautigan
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Brautigan
I bought Gloves in a Bottle at Fred Meyer (it was in the pharmacy section), which is local to the Northwestern United States, but I think I read it's available at Wal-Mart. Check the open area of the pharamacy there if you don't find luck on the lotion shelves.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Here is a link for Gloves in a Bottle; http://www.drugstore.com/gloves-in-a-bot......20bottle
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
You can use Howard Thurston method. Pee on them and let them dry. (I have never tried it, ha ha).
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Using lotions is for chicks.

Train and practice until your fingers hurtinstead of oing all "my hands are slippery yaddayaddayadda". Unless you have a REAL problem, suc as ultra sweaty hands.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 16:50, Fábio DeRose wrote:

Train and practice until your fingers hurtinstead of oing all "my hands are slippery yaddayaddayadda". Unless you have a REAL problem, suc as ultra sweaty hands.

This is a ridiculous comment. Everyone's hands are different. It is very common for a person's skin to become less moist and supple as they age. Young people are often oblivious to the truth. Lotions can be useful to the person who needs them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
NaathanPhan
View Profile
New user
One day, I shall have more than
18 Posts

Profile of NaathanPhan
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 23:44, Darkwing wrote:
I use Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion.

It works well for dry hands and also to make you hands a little tacky.

Geno Munari sings high praises about Golden Touch. He told me his mentor, Jimmy Grippo, turned him on to it. I've found it works pretty darn well. My biggest problems with those types of lotions is the chance of spilling or applying too much; no way to measure out exactly how much you know you need. However, I recently discovered Manip-Quick "Manipulotion Spray" from http://www.magic.org. It's a bit pricey: $15 per bottle, but you only need one spritz (no more over-applying!) and a quick rub later and you're ready to go. I definitely noticed a difference with my dry hands once I started using it and apparently it even helps with oily hands too. It's convenient and I definitely recommend trying out a bottle. I keep one in my gig box at all times now. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=6536

Lemme know what you think, my magic brethren!
Cheers,

Naathan Phan: Magic Asian Man

www.magicasianman.com
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 22:36, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-07 16:50, Fábio DeRose wrote:

Train and practice until your fingers hurt instead of oing all "my hands are slippery yaddayaddayadda". Unless you have a REAL problem, such as ultra sweaty hands.

This is a ridiculous comment. Everyone's hands are different. It is very common for a person's skin to become less moist and supple as they age. Young people are often oblivious to the truth. Lotions can be useful to the person who needs them.

I would like to emphasize the "Unless you have a REAL problem, such as ultra sweaty hands." ,sans typo, part of my post, mister. It quite covers the "unless you needs them" clause of your case.

Have some coffee.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Elite Magician's Hand Lotion, by the Camirand Academy of Magic ( http://www.camirandmagic.com ) works well, dries quickly, adds some tack, and you can often find it on sale if you look around. I think it's pretty close to the formula that was printed in Gary Ouellet's Close Up Illusions.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
This week I ordered the following from Amazon:

Gloves In A Bottle
Chamberlain Golden Touch Lotion
O'Keefe' Working Hands
Elite Magician's Hand Lotion

I will purchase Corn Huskers Lotion from Walmart this week. I heard if a portion of glycerin is added to Corn Huskers Lotion, it makes an improvement.

I did try QuikSort from Staples earlier this week.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hand lotion for card manipulation (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL