The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Great Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I just saw a really good idea for stopping people from copying/ripping dvd's.. IS IT POSSIBLE.. to make all dvd's launch a fatal computer virus when popped into a computers Cd/dvd-Rom? Just curious, because I think it's an awesome idea.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Been done, called Windows Vista. Vast improvement over XP.

Also some DRM systems pretty much do that.

Though why specifically do you want folks to be unable to watch the DVDs they buy on their laptops or PCs which is where most of the watching is happening these days?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I would think it would be illegal to launch a virus, but they can put a copy protection on the DVD. There is always the thought also of making a back up DVD.

Of course someone will figure away around.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Antivirus programs would stop it. There is no way yet to prevent people from copying DVDs. If it can be watched, then it can be copied. You really don't have to know anything about copy protection or hacking to do it either. There are free programs that do it for you. So it is really up to each person to decide what is ethical.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Remember the problems that Sony had when it came up that they had added spyware to their CDs?
Cards never lie
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
That ploy was tried during the days of 5.25 inch floppy discs. It never really took off.

There's nothing illegal about watching a DVD on your computer. It's even technically legal to make a backup copy for yourself (though it is also illegal to circumvent the protection on the DVD, so it's a catch 22).

These days it just wouldn't play in a legal sense. The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in the US has all sorts of rules and regulations regarding the dissemination of malicious code.

"...Knowingly causing the transmission of a program, information, code, or command that causes damage..."

I'd say that putting a virus on a DVD falls under that heading. In any case, using "retaliation" as your defense generally doesn't play in the US legal system. If someone breaks into your home and you shoot him, in many cases you're criminally liable for his injury.
Ed Mauve
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ed Mauve
There's security to prevent copying DVD onto another dvd or even onto computers. But you can still watch the video contents from computers, it can even prevent other programs from realtime recording while watching from a computer.

Also prevent DVD Player recorder from recording.

Only way to record is to use a handy cam and record externally.

But its quite expensive thus most Magic dvd is not into it. Maybe magicians should group together, set up a company on authoring DVDs, but, wont be much profitable unless lots of big names is willing to venture together earning lesser.

But who knows, future may be difference..
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Copy protection is easily defeated by software programs like AnyDVD. It runs in the background and all you have to do is use you normal burning software to copy the disk.
Ed Mauve
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ed Mauve
I didn't bother to try but I've heard some DVDs has a bugging system that collaborate with Commercial Firewall and will inform the Authorities such events if the Copy protection is been down by other programs, which is why it's quite expensive to include such security and those people normally use Linux. Anyway I'm not really sure how it works.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-31 01:39, Ed Mauve wrote:
I didn't bother to try but I've heard some DVDs has a bugging system that collaborate with Commercial Firewall and will inform the Authorities such events if the Copy protection is been down by other programs, which is why it's quite expensive to include such security and those people normally use Linux. Anyway I'm not really sure how it works.

Where specifically did you hear this story?

That technology would have wonderful uses in performance of tricks.

Details please
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-08-01 09:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-31 01:39, Ed Mauve wrote:

Where specifically did you hear this story?

Details please

I'm certainly no expert, but I've never heard of anything like that. It would surprise me if it was true.
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
You will not stop the copying of DVD's with copy protection, just look at how the anti virus industry has grown. Every time there is an advancement in computer protection some ego beat's it.

As the copy protection gets better other egos will beat it too.

sell quality goods for a fair price and hope that people will pay for it. Even then some will still want it for free.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Try selling something you can't buy as a commodity.
Ed Mauve
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ed Mauve
It's a speculation I read about in one of the magazine some time back, referring to printer/scanner having clips to monitor our activities and how our printed works were stamped to be track if wanted. It leads to certain examples of why but I can't remember much. It's very interesting though.

Ed
Ed Mauve
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ed Mauve
[quote]On 2007-08-01 09:14, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Details please

Do you mean as story in routine or for people to use when coming out new DVDs? Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I mean to use when we perform using that technology for mentalism etc.

As a story it's okay.

Same as the stories about tagged money and tracking printouts via the toner.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Ripping copyrighted Dvds as a bad as stealing magic secrets LOL .we are all guilty of something like that my heart was taken last winter & hope it will be cared for very well in the future Smile
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
augur
View Profile
New user
Portugal - Azores
27 Posts

Profile of augur
Quote:
On 2007-06-12 10:43, GeorgeMeck wrote:
I just saw a really good idea for stopping people from copying/ripping dvd's.. IS IT POSSIBLE.. to make all dvd's launch a fatal computer virus when popped into a computers Cd/dvd-Rom? Just curious, because I think it's an awesome idea.

Yeah, let's just assume that everybody that legally obtains a DVD and wants to legally watch it in their pc are all thieves. That'll rid us of piracy!

First if you turn off autorun the virus will never install itself.
Second if you use a different OS, let's say linux, it wouldn't run either.
And third it is ILLEGAL to install anything into a person's pc without their consent.

And most important of all, all copy protection schemes even DRM, which the industry so desperately try to shove down our throats saying it's for the consumer benefit is a load of crap! It only stops honest people from using what they legally obtained and sometimes harms their system (SONY rootkit anyone?). Pirates don't stop when faced with these bogus copy protection schemes, if anything they are motivated by it, it's a challenge.

Now, I'm not going to claim that I know the answer to stopping piracy, but assuming that everybody, specially honest people are all pirates is going to do more harm than good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Great Idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL