The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting an ATA case... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
One of my cases is looking pretty aged. Can anyone reccomend a good brand of paint for a textured ATA case? I want something that won't crack and peel within an hour of drying...

-Bryan
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Although painting a case is not the best idea in the world (I say this because I have seen some very ugly painted cases) , if you do it good, it can look very nice.

I would recommend Krylon brand paint. Just make sure the label does not say it will eat away laminate, as road cases are ABS or fibreglass laminated onto wood.

Sam
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Ive never had luck painting my cases... because it is a fiberglass normally, its hard to get it to hold paint well for long. I was once told to get sheets of material and glue over the outside.... kinda like illusion bases. Cant remember what kind of material, but much like fiberglass but thin sheets.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hmmm... If you track down the name of the sheets, do let me know!

Aonother option I had was drilling out all the rivets and recutting new ABS/ Plywood and re-riveting... I'm afraid of things not going back together as smoothly though...

-Bryan
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
The sheets are some kind of laminate.. might check home depot or fabric stores. Many illusion bases are covered with this black material and helps prevent scuffing. Almost like a laminate wallpaper material that didn't tear. Laminated... sorry its been a long time so cant quite remember.

But it was simple to glue down and then cut the excess off to fit.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Brian, your looking for laminating skins.

ABS: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.stor......amp;2D10

Smooth Fibreglass: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.stor......&2D1

Textured Fibreglass: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.stor......&2D1

They will ship it to you rolled up, so the cost is not too high.

PM me if you (or anyone) has any questions about cases!

Sam Pearce
http://www.PearceIllusions.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Which is the best of all three(ABS, Smooth Fiberglass, or Textured Fiberglass)?

I currently own a smooth ATA; as well as, a textured ATA case. How is the ABS? Any pros and cons?

Would it hurt to tear the case down and recut new boards w/ laminate... then re-rivet them? Or am I beating a dead horse?

-Bryan
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Leave it beat-up looking. It will look more like you have toured the world...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
They selll a spray paint in most well stocked automotive shops that's a spray on truck bed lining.. this stuff is tough as nails.. sticks well to most anything.. has a great thick texture.. and wont' scrape off without great effort..

PepBoys I KNOW carries two brands of it in a spray.. and one in a paint can. WalMart normally has a version in a paint can.

I'd even consider using it to paint any black bases as well.. it's that tough. I don't think you'd ever have to paint anything twice.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Makeupguy- I've used this stuff for painting the undeeside of several illusions. I never thought about using it on the case... Excellent idea!!!
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Go to a sign maker and ask to buy however many metres of that sticky back stuff (like Fablon) you need. You can get it in just about any colour. Stick it to the surfaces you want to spruce up and use a stanley knife to cut up to the aluminium edging. No painting involved, very durable and very sticky.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Painting an ATA case... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL