The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advice on developing Psychometry routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
305 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Hi all:

I'm looking to develop my own *entertaining* psychometry routine, and would like your advice on good referential material. I have materials from Richard Osterlind, Larry Becker, Marc Spelman, and of course Anemann's books. But most of these play "heavy" which is not really my style, so would really like your inputs / advice on this.

Cheers.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1970 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Whether a psychometry routine is "heavy" or "light" depends more on the performer than the actual routine - someone with the right level of humour ability could probably do the a great job with the original routine straight from Practical Mental Magic. If you know what your style is then I would suggest you think about how you would adapt the original routine to fit your style rather than search for one of the many thousands of versions out there.

I can highly recommend Richard Webster's "Psychometry A to Z" which will not only tell you how to appear "real" but also how to present psychometry in a humourous manner.

Finally, it is important to stress the important part of the routine - the reading and the interaction with the audience. If you think of it as just a matching of objects with owners then you are missing the point. If you concentrate on the readings side then you will find an avenue for humour.

Best,

David.
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
305 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Thanks David - you are abs. right about the interaction part. Basically I'm trying to strike the right balance between appearing "real" and humor. Will check out the Webster routine.

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions on how to close a psychometry routine OTHER than a design dupe?
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
Ditto ... the focus should be on revealing info about the owner of the item ... and not that you returned the item to the correct person.

This is where Webster's books and other books on cold reading come into play.

This is a very difficult routine to perform in an entertianing mannner because it takes lots of practice to have "readings" that hit home and are interesting/funny to the rest of the audience.

This is a nice routine early in a show.

Chuck Hickok
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Hi Guys,

Anorther way to look at the premise and whether something is heavy or not is the theme.

As an example I recently did a light performance and used my Thief In The Dark boards ala Sneak Thief with shims. I asked a few people to join me on stage and visualise themselves chatting away on the phone, as they visualised this they were to draw a doodle which they may have done in the past, it could be as abstract or as simple as they liked.

I then located each doodle to the rightful owner but just before I gave a comical reading about the doodle (an idea from the great Andy Nyman) I would mention things like moonlighting as a stripper on the weekends, insecurity about the size of certain body parts, this person likes to be called stallion in the bed room etc etc.. You get the general idea, this created a really light fun element to the routine and seeing as it was a comedy club it was well suited.

The great thing was the last drawing which I knew (via my powers) was.. well lets just say a sexual organ of the male species.. I had hit gold as my reading for the 'unseen' art work was as follows:

"that's three doodles allocated to their rightful owners, now john it doesn't take a genius to work out where your drawing is as it's the last one on the table, however what you have drawn is important. You are the type of person who expresses themselves through subconscious means and a doodle whilst on the telephone is very subconscious. Yet I feel the drawing you have done relates to you in many ways. First of all whatever you have drawn is something of an issue for you personally, you want more or... I am getting larger?? It can also be how you see yourself the kind of person you are.. So John having spent five minutes with you on stage, to me it can be only one thing.."

At this point I drew a pen-- so that the audience could see and then opened Johns envelope to reveal a badly drawn pen--.. The crowd went crazy..

Naturally this was a little risque for certain crowds but hopefully this will show you how just by changing the lines used in presentation can create a totally different feel

Best of luck with it..

Marc Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
305 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Funny story marc.

BTW, I really like your approach to sneak thief from your DVD.

In case anyone's missed it, Becker / Earle have a pretty interesting variation of sneak thief, it's called "palm mysteries"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advice on developing Psychometry routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL